Author Topic: FINALLY!! Vapor Phase reflow oven in reach of the DIY hobbyist!!!  (Read 16736 times)

Offline rudydevolderTopic starter

Seems good and simple, well designed with cooling, sensors etc.: They have been working and tuning on this machine for 2 years now, they also have a mini and Jumbo model.
Now at introduction price (only 599 Euro's ! ), I saw the thing working on a demonstration day last Saturday, really awesome: only 10 minutes for a complete setup and rework.
Also the price for the Galden is OK. Only 130 Euro's for 500 ml is a bargain!

http://www.imdes.de/condens_uk/condens_uk_pdf/mini-condens_it_price_list_uk_exhibition_21_06_2015.pdf

I ordered mine already via a distributor in Holland: http://www.eleshop.nl/vapour-phase-soldeeroven-mini-condens-it.html

I have also a Argentum inkjet-printer to print silver-ink circuits on paper or whatever. I hope I can begin testing in a few weeks from now. Printing circuits on paper and than reflow!
But first I must order Galden HT200 and solderpaste because paper ignites at 210°C, but from what I read the Galden takes the paper in a oxygen-free environment, so maybe I can use the Galden HT230
and the paper won't ignite?
I'm eager to test and report you guys but I must say I'm already excited.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: FINALLY!! Vapor Phase reflow oven in reach of the DIY hobbyist!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:24 pm »
I saw this unit at the Friedrichshafen Ham Radio event in June, it's a fascinating idea. The unit works by placing the PCB on a wire grill in the center of the chamber. At the bottom of the chamber is a heating element and some substance that becomes a liquid then evaporates at about 280C. The chamber then fills with hot vapour that evenly melts the solder paste. No vapour escapes because of a) seals at the entrance of the chamber and b) during cool-down the vapour becomes liquid again and sinks to the bottom of the chamber.

Damn clever  :-+
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:13:31 pm »
So the only difference between this and a vegetable steamer is that the fluid that happens to have the right boiling point and which doesnt negatively react with the solder paste costs 350 dollars per kilo, so you have to recollect it.   :popcorn:

This is next on my shopping list after a pcb cutting laser.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:21:10 pm by KL27x »

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:51 pm »
very interesting.
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:03:09 am »
So the only difference between this and a vegetable steamer is that the fluid that happens to have the right boiling point and which doesnt negatively react with the solder paste costs 350 dollars per kilo, so you have to recollect it.   :popcorn:

Physically, yes, although the manufacturer has also added a bunch of sensors and a CPU to control the environment inside the chamber so that it matches the ideal reflow curve. If you think that's easy then I invite you to view Dave's video on the subject where he uses a toaster oven.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Niels :-)

• Eleshop
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 11:39:25 am »
I ordered mine already via a distributor in Holland: http://www.eleshop.nl/vapour-phase-soldeeroven-mini-condens-it.html
On request we have put the unit online on our English language website: https://eleshop.eu/vapour-phase-mini-condens-it.html

We are very enthusiastic about this unit. Compared to for example a T-962A reflow oven, we think vapour phase will yield better quality.

Offline kb0thn

• Contributor
    • APRS World, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:19 pm »
How do you like your mini system? I am very intrigued by this and ready to pull the proverbial trigger. Our batch reflow oven isn't cutting it anymore.

Thanks,

-James Jarvis

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:27 pm »
How about putting up a demo video?
Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:56:14 pm »
On request we have put the unit online on our English language website: https://eleshop.eu/vapour-phase-mini-condens-it.html

We are very enthusiastic about this unit. Compared to for example a T-962A reflow oven, we think vapour phase will yield better quality.

This does sound really nice.  Are any safeguards needed to avoid overheating the fluorocarbon liquid, though? ("When the device registers that the vapour has risen above the PCB, it will shut down the heating and it starts cooling the container with fans.") 

I.e., if the heater cutoff switch fails, do I end up with a house full of phosgene?  :-[

Offline sreeb

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:34 am »
Back in the early 80's, I watched this done in a prototyping lab.

Setup was a large jar (we called it the pickle jar) on a stand and heated with a burner (can of sterno? DRC).

I think there were two mercury thermometers, one in the liquid and one several inches above.

Once it was heated up (both thermometers same temp), you placed your work piece on a wire "ladle" and lowered it into the vapor.

When you saw the solder flow, you pulled it out.

When you were done, you put a lid on the jar. 

I don't remember the liquid disappearing very fast if at all.

Offline sreeb

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 07:06:24 am »

This does sound really nice.  Are any safeguards needed to avoid overheating the fluorocarbon liquid, though? ("When the device registers that the vapour has risen above the PCB, it will shut down the heating and it starts cooling the container with fans.") 

I.e., if the heater cutoff switch fails, do I end up with a house full of phosgene?  :-[

In an unpressurized environment, you can't overheat it.  You will end up with an empty container and your very expensive liquid condensed on the floor of your house though.

Cooling of the container, probably at the top, is to minimize fluid loss.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 01:42:37 am »
We bought a Jumbo..   The idea is awesome. Sadly the build quality of the machine leaves a lot to be desired.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 02:14:20 am »
We bought a Jumbo..   The idea is awesome. Sadly the build quality of the machine leaves a lot to be desired.
Could you provide details?  What are the consequences of this so-called poor "build quality"?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 02:27:19 am »
Could you provide details?  What are the consequences of this so-called poor "build quality"?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/mini-blog-imdes-vapour-phase-purchase/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 04:49:01 am »

(1) I cnat' leave a AC/DC power supply bolted on the side of a box like that.  The AC cabling and terminals are potnetially exposed.  They have stuffed hotmelt glue in there.  Theres no need for the psu to be mounted like this.

(2) The lid doe'stn seal quite properly so you get some vapour coming out the sides..

(3) Rough Metal edges..  Not good for fingers.

(4) The tray you use to sit thigns on is very poorly made. Its not going to last long. Using bolts as and washers and stand offs is ugly.

Offline zzattack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 08:55:53 am »
I wonder what caused this oven to triple in price. Are there other competing solutions available already, perhaps at a more friendly price point?

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:17:47 pm »
My guess would be this is 1 man operation. And that he initially underestimated time and labor for production and support. And demand and bulkiness of the finished product (high shipping rate) just don't warrant outsourced production at a lower cost.

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 08:11:32 pm »
Rudi wrote only three posts, all about this, and never came back to share his experience.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 10:23:53 pm »
My guess would be this is 1 man operation. And that he initially underestimated time and labor for production and support. And demand and bulkiness of the finished product (high shipping rate) just don't warrant outsourced production at a lower cost.

Yes, a single man operation,  had Lots of warranty claims and repairs. Ups to them, they refunded me about 80% of the purchase price.     If you look, theres another thread about DIY vapour phase.     I really liked the ideas of the IDEMS but its implmentation was so poor it was just not going to ever be able to be used in our production due to Heath/Saftey and Electrical Safety issues.      The PID controller was also seriously inaqauade as basically the system was 'heat as fastas you can to 230C' and the siwtch on the fan and cool as best you can.    But yes, it did reflow, but not with any sensible profile.

I went on and built my own tanks ( folded/welded stainless steel ) and Control systme and its done me really well.    THough it was a lot of work, but it is safe and reliable, and follows a good profile.      Someone asked a while back if it was possible to DIY and i thought about it, and thought, yeah. i think this is.   So in the well tested path of converting kithen appliances for soldcering, i've been hacking a Vapour Phase 'Fryer' out of a domestic electric frying pan.  So far its working pretty well,  i have thermocouples and Triac control connected to a Ardunio..   I need to do some more work on the cooling side, as at this stage its not cooling fast enough. 

The following users thanked this post: zzattack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf