Author Topic: Flux Remover for Manual Washing  (Read 1256 times)

Offline ransonjdTopic starter

• Contributor
Flux Remover for Manual Washing
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:03:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a PCB cleaning solution that meets most of the following goals?

• Good for manual washing including soaking in a tray and scrubbing with a brush
  • Minimally hazardous
  • Minimal environmental impact
  • Long working solution life
  • Low fumes
  • Not particularly flammable
  • Works on most rosin and resin residue
  • Safe for most components
  • Available in small quantities

This is asking a lot, I know. But I'm curious for your recommendations.

Cleaning will be followed by tap water rinses and a DI water rinse.

Offline Rofflesaur

• Contributor
Re: Flux Remover for Manual Washing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:35:59 am »
I use MG Chemicals Safety Wash. (Part #: 4050) It's slightly less aggressive than IPA, but safe for all plastics. It also has a lower evaporation rate than IPA so you get a longer working time when manually scrubbing. Fumes aren't too bad, however it is flammable.

After cleaning with Safety Wash, I follow up by rinsing with MG Chemicals Super Wash (Aerosol). Then, I dry with DataVac electric duster. Seems to work pretty good.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Flux Remover for Manual Washing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:12 am »
I like using the Kontakt Chemie PCB Cleaner spray. Works great and comes with a useful brush on the end of it to scrub things. No need for any tray to work in, just use it above a trash can so you can just spray at it and let it drip off. A bit of a blow to get the liquid off and a quick paper towel job and its done.

But IPA is cheap, easily available and works great. It can be made to work better by mixing in some pure ethanol.

EDIT: Oh and most flux cleaners that are any good will be flammable as heck. Just don't smoke next to it and don't leave it exposed to the air and you should be just fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf