Author Topic: Found equipment: Feedback brand computer logic circuits  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Pinkie_PylonTopic starter

Found equipment: Feedback brand computer logic circuits
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:06 am »
Hello, new to this forum so please bear with me in case this is in the wrong place.

The physics department at my high school here in the U.K has just unearthed some reasonably old (I'm thinking early 80s) circuit boards used to teach students basic computer logic (serial and parallel, combination etc). I was just wondering whether these are worth anything to collectors as the department could use some money! If not, could they be used in lessons at all?

I have an album of pictures on Imgur here (not sure whether hyperlinks to image hosting is allowed, please let me know)
http://imgur.com/a/m6IjW

Thanks in advance

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Found equipment: Feedback brand computer logic circuits
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:29:05 am »
No comment about whether anyone would buy them.

If they work and there is the necessary other equipment (e.g.PSU, scope, signal generator) then they could be a good introduction to low-level fundamental electronics. Whether or not any of the pupils would be interested is another matter. Putting my "old fart" hat on, I would ask whether there is anything so advanced in the curriculum today.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Pinkie_PylonTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:32:55 am »
The parallel computer reflects what some people learn at GCSE/A Level electronics /Design and Tech in terms of binary addition and memory addresses. The ones we could test (+5V DC, no ground) at least lit up, although I think some added equipment is needed to make use of most of them (parallel computer aside as that's all on-board). They do take up a lot of space though. The TV Pattern generator looks amazing, does it look there are any other required inputs aside from the power? I presume the RF output would go straight into a CRT TV. Thanks for the reply.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:51:12 pm »
If you are not using them simplest is to make wall art out of them, putting them into some custom deep picture frames and placing them in the hall of the room used for teaching that subject, or in a common room somewhere.

You will need some basic equipment to use them, a power supply ( 5V,+ and -15V ), a multimeter ( cheap one) and any oscilloscope if you want, and for the TV generator any PAL analogue TV set will do ( cheap or even free), plus some wire jumpers for connecting the units up.

Offline anachrocomputer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:22:46 pm »
I used boards like those in my A-level Electronic Systems course, 1978-1980. They were, at the time, directly relevant to the syllabus for that exam. We also had Locktronics boards for making up arbitrary circuits. The "Servo Amplifier" board has a couple of Locktronics resistors fitted to select the proper feedback ratios.

As for usefulness today, I suppose it depends on the modern syllabus and  how well these boards suit it. They may have faults, too. I remember changing some of the slide switches on the "Parallel Computer" board because they'd worn out (they were a different type from those shown, blue in colour, so these may have been changed already).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf