Author Topic: Found the proper heating element for a generic 852D+ youde852DV4+ soldering iron  (Read 3729 times)

Offline lmesterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
I'm posting this to help save some pain for anyone else that has one of these rework stations and needs a new soldering iron heating element or soldering iron handle.

This is a generic 852D+. PC board marking shows it as youde852DV4+.

I've been using it for several years without problems. On my to-do list was to buy another soldering iron handle for it.  I usually use a chisel tip. Sometimes I need a small conical tip. Waiting for it to cool off or putting on gloves and playing hot potato while changing the tip is an inconvenience. Two handles ready to use would be nice.

I ordered a complete replacement handle. It looks identical to the original and has the same 907 number on the handle. I plugged it in and turned on the power. I got  S-E indicated on the LED temp display and no heat. A quick resistance check told me that S-E is temp sensor error. The sensor was open. I found that the sensor was not open. It was not even there! This handle had a heating element with only two wires and no temp sensor. It looks like some versions of this soldering station have no actual temp feedback. I'm assuming that this handle with no sensor must work with one of the 852D type soldering stations.

I then ordered another handle from a different seller. This one didn't give the S-E error. The temperature display was showing 0 deg and the tip temp way off. Another fail. The resistance of  the temp sensor in this handle was about 10 ohms. The original handle is about 50 ohms.

I complained to both sellers about the fact that these handles didn't work and got a refund.

So, I now have two free but non functional handles.

The first handle is useless. It only has a 4 conductor cable. I'd need to replace the cable with one that has 5 conductors to use it with the 4 wire heating element.

I then decided to just buy a replacement heating element. I had better luck with this. The element that I ordered worked. Cold resistance of the sensor was about 40 ohms. It worked but temp calibration was off. I could adjust the pot inside the unit for each handle. This defeats the purpose of having two handles ready to use for a quick swap. Since the resistance of the new sensor was low I added a pot in series and adjusted to get the correct temp. This seems to be working. I'll need to order a small SMD pot that will fit into the handle.

Attached are several pictures. A picture of the package of the heaters that actually work with this station. The ones that work have the red and blue insulation on the leads. Also some pictures of the inside and outside of the unit to help you identify if yours is the same as mine. Finally, there is a picture of the ratings sticker next to the fuse. I had a laugh from this! I ordered the 120V version. The sticker lists it as the 240V version  :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
There's a few suppliers of these elements, a couple I have look the same as yours but the package is marked A1322 and lists as suitable for the same station models as yours.
Mine are branded DONG MAO.

Bought as spares for a Duratech TS1570 rework station.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline RNA2

Sorry for grabbing out an old post, but i have exactly the same problem and experience.

I have an unbranded 852D+ SMD rework station (bought around end of 2015) and ordered an extra soldering iron handle for about 4 Eur at ebay.
It looks exactly the same and is indicated for this type of soldering station but does not work. I always get the '000' readout for the temperature and the iron heats up to red glowing without stopping!

I checked the values of resistance for the heating element and the thermocouple on both handles.
Here is what i found:

original handle          new handle
heating elem.              3.1 ohm                     14 ohm
thermocouple              50 ohm                      1.1 ohm

So both values are totally off? The values of the new handle seem to be common from what i researched, but the values of the orig. iron look wiered in first place. Resistance of heating element seems extremly low, and that of thermo element rahter high. There seems to be many versions of that kind of SMD rework station and unfortunatly they are not compatible.
Anyone here who solved the problem or found the right replacement handle for this station?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf