Author Topic: Four-port serial to Ethernet Converter  (Read 4702 times)

Offline mojoeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Four-port serial to Ethernet Converter
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:09:16 am »
I ordered a USR-N540, 4-serial-port to Ethernet box at $79.98 with free shipping from the link below. After about three weeks from China, my unit arrived.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301881123530

It was very well packed in a small box with hard foam. Included are the converter box, wall wart (switcher), 2-pin screw terminal power adapter, serial cable, Ethernet cable and four DE-9 to 4-pin screw terminal adapters (for RS-422, RS-485). No documentation and no software. The box is made from steel and seems substantial. The power input is labeled "DC: 9-24V".

Approximate dimensions: 8.5" (including mounting ears) x 4.75" x 1.2"

I downloaded manuals and software from here:
http://www.usriot.com/p/4-serial-port-to-ethernet-converter/

One annoying thing is that the box is setup with a static IP, instead of DHCP. The default IP of 192.168.0.7 is printed on the bottom, as well as in the manual. The manual also lists the default login credentials. The MAC address is not printed on the bottom.

I initially only configured Port 1 in the web interface, to test with my HP Z3801A (RS-232, 19200, 7, odd, 1). I then installed the Virtual Serial Port software. This seems to be a licensed version of the Eltima software http://www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/. Or, perhaps the Eltima software is licensed from USR IOT?

In the software, you can click on the "Smart VCOM" button and all four ports will be assigned for you, using the first available port numbers on your PC. I wanted a sequential range of 10-13, so I configured each port individually, using the "Add COM" button. The interface box uses TCP/IP ports of 23, 26, 29 and 32 by default, but these can be changed in the web interface. Interestingly, the MAC address can also be changed.

The web interface is very well laid out and logical, as is the Virtual Serial Port software. I have been connected to the Z3801A for a few hours and things seem to be working just fine. Later, I wired up a cable and plugged Port 2 into the RS-422 Diagnostic port (J8 on REF-1) of my Lucent GPSDO (RS-422, 9600, 8, n, 1). After some fumbling around, I got it to work and am monitoring the Lucent unit as well.

All in all, I am pleased with this converter box. At $20 per port, it seems like a good deal for a new item. Now, let's see if the EEVblog effect kicks in and the price goes up  :)

Note: When I took the screenshot of the Virtual Serial Port software, I had disconnected from the Z3801A, which is why it doesn't show the bitrate. Also, the installed firmware is the latest that is posted on the web site.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. I had no trouble with the Virtual Serial Port software at all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:42:25 pm by mojoe »

Offline mojoeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Four-port serial to Ethernet Converter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:42:13 am »
Just an update. I have been using this serial to Ethernet box for two days straight now and it has been operating flawlessly with two GPSDO's. One as RS-232 and one as RS-422. The only problem I had was when I accidentally pulled on a cord and partially dislodged the plug on the box. Once I noticed the software wasn't updating and plugged it back in, things continued merrily along.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:33:44 am »
A very handy device, I use a lot os serial <> something converters. I'l check it out. Thanks for the review.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline AlexxGreen

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:18:51 am »
Hi! Here is interesting article about different ways to convert COM port to Ethernet http://www.eltima.com/serial-ethernet-converter/

Offline jacobkevin567

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:32 am »
thanks for the review it helped me alot

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:14 am »
The production volume for these serial<->ethernet interfaces is really quite high. I wonder what they are mostly used for?

Offline jacobkevin567

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:00 am »
currently i am using exede by the reference of cabletvpack.com they are great and very cooperative 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf