Author Topic: Foxwell NT650 OBDII Scan Tool Teardown  (Read 4308 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Foxwell NT650 OBDII Scan Tool Teardown
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:22:59 am »
i bought this recently and it cannot read both of my car Toyota Wish 2003 and Perodua Viva 2007 OBDII or DTC data, bummer |O. so in the mean time this will be a cute $150 paperweight for me until Foxwell is willing to add support for additional Japanese JOBD or whatnot OBDII protocol, i'm trying to reach their support department now. it only can read my Toyota Wish ABS and SRS data so not so bad for a paperweight.

The firmware is located in an SD card, can be upgraded by installing FoxScanner SW or directly from their website http://www.foxwelltech.com/ register as a user and in the account, register your product from given serial number and password. from there, the FoxScanner will scan your SD card and list the upgradable unit. it did upgrade my Benz, Audi and Ferarri? unit, cant remember actually but all those high end car i dont have so the upgrade is useless for me, i only need simple OBDII upgrade for my Toyota and Perodua car.

the data in SD card looks like in the 1st attachment. i've made backup and copy to another SD card and boot succesfully from that card. So i think it will be interesting to tinker what data inside the card and possibility to hack it, put another Foxwell model data in it and see if it can run the data in another model. if anyone have Foxwell brand scanner maybe we can combine force. but according to them, the firmware is serial number/password dependent, so even if we both have the same NT650, we cannot exchange SD card, how true i dont know.

The inside of the tool can be seen in the rest of the attachments. Lattice FPGA? and Atmel AM mcu i guess, look for yourself i'm not really familiar. The good thing i like is the LCD is not the carbon strip crap type, so maybe i can study something to interface with it. It has FW-TFT043-03Q marking on the ribbon so maybe its compatible with this? https://www.lcd-module.de/fileadmin/html-seiten/eng/pdf/grafik/TFT043-42ATS.pdf not sure, but i hope so, one day i will sniff this. FWIW...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:28:49 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Foxwell NT650 OBDII Scan Tool Teardown
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:12 pm »
This looks like a rather nice unit , thanks for the teardown. It is well rated as well.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline HandBuilt

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 06:52:10 am »
Hopefully you still have your NT650, I just bought one should be here in a couple weeks, its the Elite Ver :scared:

So Ill send you the sd card data and we'll have a see :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 07:42:13 am »
great! its been in my store behind untouched. maybe i can try when some other car brands come in for the testing. i will look forward to see other data if they are compatible, not sure how the unit works to read all those data. for now, my unit is a total useless. the only thing prohibits me from putting it in a bin or make a destructive test is it looks cute and quite pricey.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:37:29 pm »
another problem with NT650 Elite, somewhat similar to mine... so not all car compatible. in my case with my NT650, none of my car is compatible. :--

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf