Author Topic: From pace to WMD-3. Should I stay or should I go?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Mutad0rTopic starter

• Contributor
From pace to WMD-3. Should I stay or should I go?
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:59 pm »
My father has a WMD-3 that he's willing to sell (not a weapon of mass destruction, it's a Weller soldering station. Google it) I have a measely PACE ST(no number) and a PACE ST25.
Since I already have 2 soldering stations, it would be a great idea to go to the WMD-3 (since it's a single station with 3 outputs).

I don't have the NEED to change, but it's an opportunity.

The biggest problem is that I'm quite fond of the current iron tips that I have and I have about 16 of them. All of them used and so forth, but still great. The best part about the PACE irons is that they are "muzzle loaded". A screw holds the tip in place and you can easily loosen it and change the tips, even when the element is hot.

I would switch to the WMD if I got to use the same irons, but apparently they are not interchangeable - it didn't heat up.

First question is whether it's possible to "hack" the irons to be compatiable. I couldn't find any pinouts for pace ones but they are different. What i'm dissappointed in is that the connectors are the same, and they can be hooked up, but they don't work. There should be a standard....

Second question I have is that if I do decide to change, are there any weller irons that have interchangeable tips.. and if they do, are all weller irons interchangeable between stations

Thirdly, should I just man up and make the change? WMD-3 might be a bit of an overkill for me, but I would get it relatively cheapishly.

The best solution would be if I could use the PACE irons with the Weller station until further notice, but I don't know... |O

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
Re: From pace to WMD-3. Should I stay or should I go?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
May be a stupid question, but have you tried the Weller? Some soldering stations just fit better, or are that much faster.

Weller would be a good choice. I use a WD2M and a WR3000M station daily. I use different soldering irons (small, large, tweezers, desoldering, hot air) I also have quite a collection of tips ranging from big tips for large cables to very small (for 0402). Weller stations hold their value, and there is a lot of info about them on the internet. Only downside would be switching between the set/read values of the channels.
Trying is the first step towards failure

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:28:54 am »
Another vote for giving the Weller a try.  :-+

The desoldering iron and hot air pencil* would be handy, even if there's no difference in the iron performance (came with a WSP80?  :-//).

* It's only 200W, so it's not able to take on the larger packages or high layer count PCB's. That said, it's still highly useful.  ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »
I have used wellers in school. I have no complaint, I just dont like having to remove the whole heating element to change tips. The PACEs tips could be changed even when it was hot, just loosen the screw and have the tip slide out (onto a heat resistant surface, it's still hot) and then just put the cold head in and tighten the screw.

The WMD-3 only has a standard soldering iron, no idea what name though, looks a bit like WSP80. It also has the hot air gun/pencil/whatever. The biggest downside is that it doesn't have it's desoldering vacuum iron anymore and new they cost a pretty penny. It would come very handy... IF I HAD ONE!!! :palm:  I do a lot of desoldering from time to time. I will lend it from my father sometime this week and try it out. I have some QFN20 packages I need to solder, see if the hot air has any effect on it. I have university entrance exams this week so we'll see how much time I have for thinking about not thinking and get back to work! |O

PS: Striving to become an EE O0

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 08:28:22 pm »
I just dont like having to remove the whole heating element to change tips.
:-//

The WSP80 & WP80 both use retaining tubes that hold the tip and screw over the heating element (WS102 used on the WSP80). I have 4 of them, and it makes swapping tips even faster, and it can be done while the iron is not only hot, but still ON.  :-+

The only ones you actually remove the element, are those that use cartridge tips such as the WRMP (example tip, RT3 chisel. Changing tips doesn't get any easier.

No more set screws in either case = a huge step forward IME.  :o  ;D

The biggest downside is that it doesn't have it's desoldering vacuum iron anymore and new they cost a pretty penny. It would come very handy... IF I HAD ONE!!! :palm:  I do a lot of desoldering from time to time.
What did your dad do with it?

Given it's a Weller, you'll be able to find one on eBay at a decent price if you're patient (country it comes from won't matter  ;)).

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:10 pm »
The WSP80 & WP80 both use retaining tubes that hold the tip and screw over the heating element (WS102 used on the WSP80).
Ok, maybe, I just remember that in school when we changed the tips of weller irons and took off the retaining tubes the geating element sort off just came with it. I don't know, maybe we did something wrong, or maybe those were some other irons. I'll check the iron that's with the WMD-3.

What did your dad do with it?
Nothing, he never had it. He's a scavenger and he sometimes gets stuff from people that otherwise would have thrown it away. The desoldering iron was never there.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:25 am »
The WSP80 & WP80 both use retaining tubes that hold the tip and screw over the heating element (WS102 used on the WSP80).
Ok, maybe, I just remember that in school when we changed the tips of weller irons and took off the retaining tubes the geating element sort off just came with it. I don't know, maybe we did something wrong, or maybe those were some other irons. I'll check the iron that's with the WMD-3.
Given it's age, the WSP80 is more likely, but either will work.  :-+ Should also work with the WMP as well (smaller 65W iron meant for SMD work; this one uses a tool that reaches up inside the iron's handle to turn the nut on the tip itself NT4 tip). All 3 irons can actually use the same stand as well (WDH10 or WDH10T are what come with the WSP80 or WP80 irons).

FWIW, the WP80 is a modification of the WSP80 to achieve a shorter tip-to-grip distance (~1 cm), and uses the same series of tips. Downside is, replacement parts are a bit more expensive (i.e. ~$12 for it's retaining tube instead of ~$8).

Nothing, he never had it. He's a scavenger and he sometimes gets stuff from people that otherwise would have thrown it away. The desoldering iron was never there.
Well, at least you don't have to waste a bunch of time hunting his garage for it then.  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf