Author Topic: Fume filter. Merv 15 or carbon?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline soligenTopic starter

• Contributor
Fume filter. Merv 15 or carbon?
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »
I am realizing I really need to do something about soldering fumes.  I have a woodworking dust collector (2 hp) with a good filter that is supposed to be 99.9999% efficient at .5 microns.  I can simply run a line from my dust collector to my electronics area, or do I really need the activated carbon?  I'm guessing it depends if the issue is the chemicals or the particles, but have not found anything that says exactly what the "bad" things are in the fumes.  I also have a hepa face mask, but I don't think there is much difference between my big filter and hepa (hepa is 99.97% efficient at .3 microns)

This is a very part time hobby, so the power to run the big dust collector really isn't an issue.

Thanks for any input.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Fume filter. Merv 15 or carbon?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:36 am »
If it's just solder fumes, a standard filter medium would be sufficient.  :-+

FWIW, true commercial solder fume extraction uses media rated for 0.3um particle filtration, but I suspect 0.5um will be quite sufficient. Bbetter than the activated carbon foam in front of a fan based units  at any rate.  >:D

The carbon filter adds gas extraction (think solvent fumes, such as acetone, xylene, ...). So if you use a lot of liquid flux and adhesives in an enclosed space for example, the carbon filter would be called for. You could see if the stuff for window air conditioners will work to add that to standard filters (easy to find an inexpensive as well  ;)).

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:37:54 am »
Weler states for their fume extraction systems:
HEPA H13 and
- Wide band gas filter
(50% active carbon,
50 % Puratex)

Offline soligenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:51:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll go with what I have, at least for now.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:38 pm »
Activated charcoal filters have such a limited capacity in the (home, office) air filter context its just a marketing scheme. The only reasonable solution for toxic fumes is removal. Dilution is a less optimal solution but basically that would be getting them far away from where you are via a strong fan attached to some ducting long enough to move it elsewhere far enough so by the time you do breathe some of it its much diluted.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline kleblanc

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:22:11 pm »
Just some info that might help.

HEPA filters are only for particulates, they will not filter gases.  0.3 um is the most penetrating size, so the least effective in removal of that size. Larger and smaller particles have a higher efficiency rating of filtration.

Carbon filters can filter large particulates and gases. The problem with carbon filters is they are always filtering. Once loaded, a carbon is not effective.  These are generally placed downstream (after) a HEPA filter.

The solution to pollution is dilution method is effective on small scales. Industrial scale filtering/scrubbing is generally more cost effective than air handler/exhaust sizing.

In the case of your woodworking collector, I was wondering if there are pre filters before the HEPA. This helps prevent filter loading which increases efficiency, but reduces airflow.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:46:00 am »
I am going to design my new lab so the soldering area is right next to a window so I can just make a little fume hood. Also for thermal wire stripping.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf