Author Topic: fixing caps to the PCB: gluable heat shrink tubing vs. the right adhesive?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline helgeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
it's a bit like searching the internet for some obscure transformer winding technique right after the "Transformers" movie: there are some terms that just don't yield results in the right context. That's why I'd like to raise the question here.

I'm looking for heat shrink tubing you can glue down to secure horizontally mounted radial caps. I've perused the Maxwell documents for a hint what type of shrink wrap tube they use for labeling. I can't tell whether PVC is used (an arbitrary PVC MSDS did not mention hazardous chlorinated substances even in the event of a fire oO) and they don't say what they used.

They nevertheless suggest the caps be glued with silicone or any "other adhesive" without going into chemical compatibility details.

As far as I can tell there are three options:

1) trial&error search for a compatible glue that stands up to vibrations
2) peel the caps and glue directly to the aluminium - most adhesives will happily stick to aluminium
3) cover the caps with a suitable shrink wrapping of known material and glue compatibility.

Before I venture any deeper into any of these I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences.

- Helge
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:02:24 pm by helge »

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: gluable heat shrink tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:43:02 pm »
Why not use an axial cap? If you need to mount a radial cap horizontally, you could just use a tie wrap to secure it to the PCB.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:56:16 pm »
the caps are  Maxwell10F 2.7V Ultracaps and they all come in radial packages. There is only one other brand that I know of, Nesscap and it's the same here.

mounting these caps by the leads is not recommended; they're made of an aluminium alloy which does not have a fatigue limit and will crack sooner or later. The manufacturer recommendation is to glue the darn cylinder down by its can but then at least Maxwell does not specify a high strength adhesive to do so.

To make matters worse, we're not talking about the ordinary bypass cap that's flapping in the breeze as Dave likes to put it fittingly but they're being shaken so hard that I've also seen ferrite magnetics being ripped of the PCB. I'm afraid the leads alone won't be up to that challenge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:58:15 pm by helge »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:48 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf