Author Topic: Going further with the Fluke 289  (Read 19147 times)

Offline elafargueTopic starter

• Contributor
Going further with the Fluke 289
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:25:29 am »
Hi all,

I have spent a few evenings lately to dig further into the Fluke 289 multimeter and its serial protocol, and I have found quite a lot of fun stuff - remote control of the multimeter, screenshots, recording downloads, DMM configuration, even hints at internal file management. As this community seems to be generally quite knowledgeable on the various tool manufacturers, I am seeking your advice on whether it would be appropriate to release a specs document, so that hobbyists can get creative! IMHO it would be a nice boost for this excellent multimeter, but I do not know whether Fluke takes a hard line on the publication of such specs, or whether they are OK with it? I saw that they have published serial protocol specs for their portable scopes, but not much when it comes to their DMMs...

Let me know!

The following users thanked this post: View[+]Finder

alm

Re: Going further with the Fluke 289
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:49:33 am »
The Fluke 89IV/189 protocol is out there somewhere, don't remember if this was the Fluke website or not. The 289 protocol might be similar.

Offline Richard W.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:09:27 pm »
Maybe i got something helpful  ;)

regards
Richard

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
Sure, this is the (very small) public spec for the 289. It doesn't even explain how to download recordings, which are one of the big features of the meter... The meter supports tons of additional commands. Try a "PRESS BACKLIGHT" command, for instance :)

alm

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »
Can the FlukeView software turn the backlight on? I wouldn't be surprised if this was not supported, since the remote protocols tend to be geared towards remote data acquisition as opposed to remote control.

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:10:50 am »
Hi all,

I have spent a few evenings lately to dig further into the Fluke 289 multimeter and its serial protocol, and I have found quite a lot of fun stuff - remote control of the multimeter, screenshots, recording downloads, DMM configuration, even hints at internal file management. As this community seems to be generally quite knowledgeable on the various tool manufacturers, I am seeking your advice on whether it would be appropriate to release a specs document, so that hobbyists can get creative! IMHO it would be a nice boost for this excellent multimeter, but I do not know whether Fluke takes a hard line on the publication of such specs, or whether they are OK with it? I saw that they have published serial protocol specs for their portable scopes, but not much when it comes to their DMMs...

Let me know!

Guy that wrote memtestx86 did a thorough job reversing it, contact him. For which I believe Fluke forums banned him. Unless it's you.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:56:43 am »

Guy that wrote memtestx86 did a thorough job reversing it, contact him. For which I believe Fluke forums banned him. Unless it's you.

Yeah, I spoke to him, I think he is busy with other things & was not very interested to help, unfortunately....

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:11:38 pm »
This is actually quite fun. It seems that the DMM supports two types of transfer: either a fully ASCII protocol, but also the same protocol with simple binary framing, each packet starting with 0x10 0X02 <DATA> 0x10 0x03 <CRC> though I was not able so far to get the algorithm for the CRC. The meter also supports two sets of commands, some which are only accessible after some sort of authentication (calibration password, it seems, or maybe a developer key?).

Interesting commands so far: qemap, which accepts a very large list of arguments:

Code: [Select]
blightVals
rsob
blvals
memvals
jackdetect
updateMode
acsmooth
tempunit
dBmRef
pwpol
hzEdge
dcpol
contbeep
conbeepos
timeFmt
dateFmt
numFmt
lang
recEventTh
rsm
ablto
digits
beeper
apoffto
autorange
bolt
fileMode
qt
beeperTestState
sessionType
calConstantName
calStatus
mode
readingID
attribute
jackName
jackPositionStatus
testPattern
lcdModeState
ledState
mp_props
mpdev_props
mpq_props
memSize
powerMode
buttonName
presstype
channel
sampleTime
recordType
isStableFlag
transientState
xaJackName

You can use the "PRESS" command with one of the 'buttonName' values, for instance. Or you can switch the power button's LED with LEDT - argument matches the result of qemap ledstate - . Or you can (probably) get the LCD's current bitmap with QLCDBM with an offset as argument (0 for instance). I was not able to decode the bitmap so far, but here you go.

In order to get the trendlog recordings, you can use the QRSI command (with argument 0 to 8 ) to get a binary structure which includes the ID of each recording, and then download each sample of the recordings with QSRR with ID as argument. I will publish a proper description once I underttand the binary structures properly, I'm nearly there...

If someone wants to give me a hand, I would like to put my hands on the log of a DMM firmware update, so that understand how to authenticate to the DMM to get access to the low level commands...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:15:39 pm by elafargue »

Offline jrmpdb

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »
elafargue I was wondering if you made any head way on this tool. I have a FLUKE 287 and 289 that I am currently playing with and I found your post very helpful and interesting. I am looking to grab the stored data from the instrument and have found the commands QSLS which will return the number of saved records and QSMR with an argument (0-num of records) that contains the saved data, the saved data is in ASCII format but is unreadable except for the tag (Save 1-n). I know that this is an old post but I thought I'd give it a shot since this is the only helpful reference that I could find on the internet.

Offline alecotech

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:29 pm »
Hello,

I have found this topic very interesting.  I am trying to pull off a couple of logs from the trend capture.  I have read some of the above posts, but have had little luck getting the logs downloaded from memory.  Has anyone got any updates or hints for the correct commands. 

I have tried:

QSLS to find the names of stored files, and QSMR + stored name.   

THanks,

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »
I finalized the reverse engineering of the whole protocol about a year ago. The big issue is that Fluke is known for having intimidated people who published that sort of stuff in the past, so I an reluctant to share anything...

That said, the protocol is fairly straightforward, all binary packets map to C structures more or less...

Ed

The following users thanked this post: View[+]Finder

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 02:18:30 pm »
Give it to me. I'll publish the shit out of it.

It's my hardware. I'll do what I bloody well want!

Actually, I have flukeview(sp?) but I just don't seem to ever need a connected meter anyway. If I was smarter, or more interested, I'm sure I could achieve the same. If you don't feel comfortable releasing your work, that's more than OK with me. 

Also, for someone who might have last posted in 2011, you are on the ball man!  :-+

Offline johnwill

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:59 pm »
I have had the Fluke 289 now for several months, and without question it is the best meter I have ever used. This meter has insane accuracy, a monster array of measurements (including low impedance, ghost voltages) and the ability to act as a data logger for any type of measurement it is able to do. Not the cheapest of meters but well worth the price tag.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 11:57:47 am »
I finalized the reverse engineering of the whole protocol about a year ago. The big issue is that Fluke is known for having intimidated people who published that sort of stuff in the past, so I an reluctant to share anything...

That said, the protocol is fairly straightforward, all binary packets map to C structures more or less...

Ed

Please do... somewhere..

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 06:48:44 am »
Oh awesome! Would love to take a look at this! Please someone post it up!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline Nevereven

• Contributor
Help me figure out the data structures
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 03:21:53 am »
I've managed to figure out some of how to get data out of my 189-II. I'm working on figuring out the data structures associated with QRSI and QSRR.

I found some Ruby code which is a good start, but I suspect that the format has changed somewhat with new firmware.

If anyone wants to help with this, PM me. I don't want to post the mess I have because it's got big parts which I know are wrong or guesses.

Once the data structures are figured out I want to write some python code to dump saved data to a CSV file.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:32:29 am »
seems like Sigrok have some support? http://sigrok.org/wiki/Fluke_287/289

Offline Nevereven

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
I think they just support the public API which doesn't include the ability to download data with the QRSI and QSRR commands.

seems like Sigrok have some support? http://sigrok.org/wiki/Fluke_287/289

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »
ah, ok.
did you check this one? https://github.com/fvaleur/dmm_util

Offline Nevereven

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »
I did see that, and it was very useful. The parsing algorithms don't seem to quite match up with the data I'm seeing. Perhaps there have been some changes with firmware upgrades? If someone who uses Ruby could test it, it would be very helpful as I'm not sure what state it was left in.

ah, ok.
did you check this one? https://github.com/fvaleur/dmm_util

Offline mikedanylov

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 07:59:45 am »
Hi, I recently wrote this(https://github.com/mikedanylov/Power_Measurements_Fluke289) Python tool for reading current from Fluke 289 and analyze power consumption of a device.
It gets measurements from multimeter and plots a graph.

Offline nbenm

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:38 am »
@Nevereven, did you succeed in decoding the data ?
I have a 287, and I want too to write python code to extract saved data and the plot them
I have seen the Ruby code, but it is completely outdated.
I use firmware v1.16
I have too found the command qsls which gives the number of:
- saved recordings -> then qrsi #
- saved min-max -> then qmmsi #
- saved peaks -> then qpsi #
- saved measurements -> then qsmr #

But replies are in binary and not doc is available

qddb seem to be for real time measurements

BTW, the Ruby code is OK for the "set" command. I could change company,contact,operator and site

Offline emax

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »
Old thread, but current topic.

I didn't try yet, but how do you connect to yout PC? Does the IR/USB-adaptor appear just as a serial device?

Which platforms you're on? I'm on linux and would try my swiss-army-knife: perl.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 08:25:02 pm »
I didn't try yet, but how do you connect to yout PC? Does the IR/USB-adaptor appear just as a serial device?

The Fluke adapters uses a virtual COM port and it is possible to find descriptions of the protocol.

The following users thanked this post: emax

Offline Pumuckl

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:01 am »
Hey,

Has anyone a list of the 28x commands or a way to contact the old posters that figured them out?

I am trying to remotely activate min/max and peak functions. I can get around the normal min/max activation by sending the key but for peak I would have to use the menu and this is always different depending on the range I am in.

Cheers,
Christian.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf