Author Topic: Going to buy a soldering station  (Read 12878 times)

Offline UberStrike88Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Going to buy a soldering station
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:26:15 pm »
Hi guys

Well my soldering iron broke today (it really broke in half) so i need a replacement
As i don't want those ones that go in the socket that i had i looked for a small soldering station that was cheap and that i could get
So i found these 2 stations:
(translated pages)
http://goo.gl/aNfGa0 (the tip: http://goo.gl/CI8XJM)
http://goo.gl/cNcQay (the tip: http://goo.gl/Orvgjq)
So which one of these would you choose if you was me?
I'm not a professional i'm just doing this as a hobby nothing more really.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
Re: Going to buy a soldering station
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:07:40 pm »
I'd get none of them even if I wasn't that serious about soldering. And I'd certainly not by from Conrad because everything costs twice as much there and the service sucks. Buy a used analogue Weller or Hakko station off of ebay. Far better value for the money and won't break that easily.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Well conrad seems to have nice prices here,
I haven't seen something more than that they ask.
But i don't want to buy a second hand one because most of the time they will add about 20$ shipping cost and then i also have to pay 30-50 bucks to get it to my home
+conrad gets it within 3 days :D

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:22:29 pm »
This is a total crap. I got one such for free. Crappiest hakko clone is much better than this. Stock tip is just unusable.
Edit: ZD99 to be precise but they are almost the same. And they are not temperature controlled, only variable power, just useless.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:43:10 pm by wraper »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:44:09 am »
IF you're on a really tight budget, you might want to look for a good quality used unit instead. Just make sure it has the bare minimum to make it work (base unit + iron), and that spare tips are still available.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:55 am »
DONT

this is basically a triac dimmer in a soldering station enclosure
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:33 am »
I agree. The soldering station from Conrad is total crap. You can probably buy that for 4 euro on Ebay with free shipping from China.
I'd save up for an Ersa. I like Ersa for 2 reasons: the tips last extremely long. Longer than any other soldering station I used before (Weller and JBC) and the tips are very easy to change. For electronics work you need at least 3 different tips to be able to tackle a soldering job. When I assemble a board I change tips all the time.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:17:19 am »
If you haven't tried a good soldering station,  I would try to find an acquaintance who has one and try it,  you will be surprised at the difference.  I mean units such as Weller,  JBC,  Metcal,  Ersa etc.  The price is a big jump over the hobby stuff but for me a good soldering station and a good dmm are never regretted.  Some guys will have preference,  one brand over another,  but I think the extra money you will not regret.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline rqsall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:48:02 pm »
Since you're in The Netherlands, as I am, I'll throw my two cents in as my first post (been lurking for some time). I would get something out of this list: http://www.eleshop.nl/solderen/soldeerstations/conventioneel.html?___store=eleshop_nl

I have the 3210 since May or so and very happy with it. I also know someone who bought the 936 or 937, don't remember which one exactly from that store and he's also very happy with it. He's had it for a year or 2 and uses it in earnest (within hobby context).

Good luck.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:57 pm »
Well if you need something dirt cheap you can look up some of these.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=soldering+station
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »
I'd stay away from the Ayoue soldering stations. The tips are utter crap. I have the SMD tweezers from Ayoue somewhere but I consider it a complete waste of money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »
My Aoyue 2703A+ is of really nice quality for the money. I'm used to my Weller at home and lately to a new JBC at work, so high standards. Even if the tips were crap (mine are not), tips are now argument with the Aoyue. You can always get genuine Hakko ones. They are compatible.

Offline Kostas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:40:37 pm »
If you consider buying an Aoyue station keep in mind that the 936 is only 35W. While this might be more that enough for the vast majority of the jobs you are likely to do, it will prove to be underpowered in some cases. Trying to desolder components connected to large groundplanes - anything with large enough mass that can act like a heatsink will be very difficult.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »
Wow a lot of replies :)
Well i don't solder that often and my budget is really small :/
I was thinking about the aoyue 936 but i thought you can better but a 888 if you are going for quality.
+ it will be a lot for shipping so it will be like 60 for the aoyue :/
Can anyone find me a used or new one for around 20? (it will be temp until i have enough to buy a really good one)
Thanks for all the help guys!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:09:05 pm »
If you are serious about soldering and intend to keep doing it for a few years just get a Hakko. Pay for a genuine one, they are not that expensive and will last forever. No mucking about, no frustration, just a quality, robust system that will allow you to get on with making stuff instead of trying to cope with an inadequate iron.
Seriusly, in Europe? Other than buying knockoff from China there is no way to get one cheap. For the price it cost here you can go right away to i-con nano or pico (even cheaper than 888D here, no ESD safe however) which are in absolutely different class.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »
I was thinking about the aoyue 936 but i thought you can better but a 888 if you are going for quality.
Can anyone find me a used or new one for around 20? (it will be temp until i have enough to buy a really good one)
Never buy 888 (discontinued) or 888D from ebay, aliexpress or DX and anywhere from China. They all are fake. And as in Europe Hakko is ridiculously expensive, like 2.5 US price it is better to just get something else.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »
Never buy 888 (discontinued) or 888D from ebay, aliexpress or DX and anywhere from China. They all are fake. And as in Europe Hakko is ridiculously expensive, like 2.5 US price it is better to just get something else.
Ohhh thanks for the tip!
Well i don't have 100 euro for a soldering station :(
Well you know anything in my price range (around that in the first post)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »
If you are serious about soldering and intend to keep doing it for a few years just get a Hakko. Pay for a genuine one, they are not that expensive and will last forever. No mucking about, no frustration, just a quality, robust system that will allow you to get on with making stuff instead of trying to cope with an inadequate iron.
+1  :-+

Just get it from a reputable source (i.e. authorized dealer).

Batterfly sells the FX-888D, and it's the best price I'm aware of for EU members.

They also have a bundle deal going on with a Rigol DS1054Z for 380EUR, if you're also in the market for an entry level DSO (scope is a steal for what you get IMHO).

OP, I'm guessing you're in a hurry, but it's really in your best interest to save up for one. There's that much of a difference between these and the cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 04:26:37 pm »
You can get Yihua 936 for EUR 19.55 shipped from Hobbyking EU warehouse. It happens to be in Neterlands so shipping is very cheap :). http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32515__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_EU_plug_EU_warehouse_.html

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 04:30:33 pm »
+1  :-+

Just get it from a reputable source (i.e. authorized dealer).

Batterfly sells the FX-888D, and it's the best price I'm aware of for EU members.

They also have a bundle deal going on with a Rigol DS1054Z for 380EUR, if you're also in the market for an entry level DSO (scope is a steal for what you get IMHO).

OP, I'm guessing you're in a hurry, but it's really in your best interest to save up for one. There's that much of a difference between these and the cheap Chinese knockoffs.
That seller only sells in italy and it is out of my budget .
You can get Yihua 936 for EUR 19.55 shipped from Hobbyking EU warehouse. It happens to be in Neterlands so shipping is very cheap :). http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__32515__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_EU_plug_EU_warehouse_.html
Wow thats dirt cheap will get it i think. Will check the review again

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »
You can also mod it later by getting genuine hakko tips and heating element. Will show similar performance to genuine hakko.

Offline Kostas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:18 pm »
One more thing, regarding the Aoyue and any other station* that uses Hakko clone tips: All of them come with a standard conical 0,8mm tip. While it is usable, it's not exactly the best option out there. IMHO, a good all around tip is the T-3C. It gives a much better surface area that can be used to quickly transfer heat from the tip to the component, but it's also quite pointy if you ever need to use it so. Can be used for smd drag soldering too. You can get clone tips very cheaply on ebay and most of them come in Hakko bags, but they are not the real thing. That said, they are fine for the price.

* Yes, that Yihua 936 also uses these tips.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 05:01:59 pm »
That seller only sells in italy and it is out of my budget .
Actually, they do sell to other EU nations.  :) If you check their Delivery Informations page, you'll see they ship to the Netherlands for  16.66EUR + VAT (second line).

As per being out of budget, I'm aware of that. But keep in mind, this station is worth saving up for, as the cheap Chinese Hakko knock-offs tend to be unpleasant to use. For example, you may experience handles that get too hot to hold, cords that are stiff, tip/s that come with it don't transfer heat very well (loose fit over the heating element), and tips that don't last sorts of things. There may also be electrical faults internally that should be dealt with before use. Tip issue can be solved with genuine Hakko tips, but that incurs additional costs (difference in cost shrinks between this and an FX-888D).

The cheap stations are built to a price point at the extreme, so what kind of quality do you really think you're going to get for 20EUR?  :o  :-BROKE I see it as a penny wise, pound stupid situation. YMMV, but it shouldn't take that long to increase your budget by ~110EUR (130EUR should cover it to your door, assuming 20% VAT & above shipping rate). Maybe some odd jobs on the side, as they would help get you there rather quickly (raking leaves, shoveling snow,.... whatever you can manage that puts extra EUR in your pocket).  ;)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:10 pm »
BTW if decide to buy on hobbyking, keep the product page open for some time, there should appear a popup offering some discount, it will cost EUR 13.69. Price will be with such a "discount" by default if you are logged in already. Don't know if it shows discounted price for the new accounts. Anyway you can get it EUR 18.53 shipped with a small effort.

Offline ManCave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

keep in mind, this station is worth saving up for, as the cheap Chinese Hakko knock-offs tend to be unpleasant to use. For example, you may experience handles that get too hot to hold, cords that are stiff, tip/s that come with it don't transfer heat very well (loose fit over the heating element)

+1 !!!

They really can be pretty bad. You might think you save a bit now, but the grief they give you for few months or maybe a year, until you realise that you need a better iron because this is an absolute crap, is really not worth it. Wait a month or two and save up for a good station. I've had "Precision Gold" or "Tenma" ,same thing, and although it seems ok for some light jobs, it WILL help you destroy PCBs due to it's crappy construction, bad heat transfer from the element to the tip...

Using Weller WSD80 is absolutely incomparable! I would never go back to a cheap station. It's not just a matter of how good the job is done. It pretty much is a difference between a job done or not...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf