Author Topic: good brand for hard screwdriver bits  (Read 12033 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: good brand for hard screwdriver bits
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 01:59:18 am »
You might want to visit a Snap-on tool truck. I have had good success with their ACR Philips and Pozidrive bits. They have grooves in them that stop cam-out:
Even better: move to Torx screws. Philips and Pozidrive suck really bad compared to Torx.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, BU508A

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 03:53:38 am »
PB Swiss, Wiha, Wera, ... heck, even the professional Bosch ones are good (not the Bosch consumer assortments).

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 08:58:04 pm »
You might want to visit a Snap-on tool truck. I have had good success with their ACR Philips and Pozidrive bits. They have grooves in them that stop cam-out:
Even better: move to Torx screws. Philips and Pozidrive suck really bad compared to Torx.

I often hear this from people around me, but when the Pozidriv bit and screw fit nicely together, I can get away with starting a screw in wood one handed with a powertool and without predrilling. I find it's not that easy to do the same with Torx screws, most of the time I need two hands to get those started. I think it's the taper on the Pozidriv screws that tends to keep the screw centered and snug in the head. Torx doesn't have that taper and feels kind of loose (and no, I didn't go one size of bit under).

Why most people don't like Pozidriv (or Phillips) is the tendency of the bit to cam out. But when I ask, I find most people complaining to me give me a dumbfounded look, "there's more than one type of crosshead???".  :palm:
Yeah, wrong screwdriver...

Once started, I would agree that Torx outperforms Pozidriv, especially when screws need to be tight. Less chance of a cam out and a damaged workpiece.

BTW, it's Phillips, not Philips and Pozidriv, not Pozidrive.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:02:23 pm by jitter »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 09:00:24 pm »
Torx is great for machine screws, it's not good at keeping aligned for starting self tappers without pressure with shallow heads - this means your average countersunk woodscrew.

Also, as far as more than one type goes.. Frearson, Phillips, Phillips II, JIS, Pozidriv, Supadriv, Pozisquare (my favourite of the lot).. I'm sure I've managed to forget a couple.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:02:49 pm by Monkeh »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 09:49:51 pm »
Torx is great for machine screws, it's not good at keeping aligned for starting self tappers without pressure with shallow heads - this means your average countersunk woodscrew.
I have not noticed any difference with woodscrews. Pozidriv, Phillips and Torx equally suck to drive into a hard surface. Then again I only buy professional grade screws.
The advantage of Torx is that you don't have to hold the bit perfectly straight while pushing down and the head never ever gets damaged because Torx simply cannot cam out.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:16 pm »
I have not noticed any difference with woodscrews. Pozidriv, Phillips and Torx equally suck to drive into a hard surface.
The advantage of Torx is that you don't have to hold the bit perfectly straight while pushing down and the head never ever gets damaged because Torx simply cannot cam out.

Perhaps you're using the wrong screws.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 11:30:01 pm »
Why most people don't like Pozidriv (or Phillips) is the tendency of the bit to cam out. But when I ask, I find most people complaining to me give me a dumbfounded look, "there's more than one type of crosshead???".  :palm:
Yeah, wrong screwdriver...
I thing at least 90% don't know or bother to tell the difference between the two. I don't care except when they borrow my screwdrivers... grr...

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 04:47:44 am »
+1

Think i'm gonna try the Wiha someday. I was a bit dissapointed by the Wera standard screwdriver.

Offline lavardera

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 05:22:57 am »
PB Swiss makes a very high quality screwdriver, and also makes driver bits with the same level of quality. You can get individual bits or sets.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/interchangeable-handlesblades-and-precisionbits/all-products/?no_cache=1&tx_pbstproduct_product[filter][facets][2010][]=82,84

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 06:31:56 am »
PB Swiss Tools indeed make very good screwdrivers, so it stands to reason that their bits will be of the same high quality.
One gripe I have with the clear handled screwdrivers by PB Swiss Tools is the use of a substance called cellulose acetate butyrate. When they get older, the plastic starts to emit small quantities of that substance which makes them smell like vomit.

Offline lavardera

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 01:31:55 pm »
Only their least expensive driver lines have the acetate handles. They scent those handles with vanilla to overcome this, and so your toolbox will smell like Swiss chocolate.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 11:59:21 pm »
Wiha!

If I recall correctly bits for Wiha Ultra Driver are made in Vietnam.

Wiha, Wera now outsource some of their screwdriver and some other things to Czech Republic, Slovakia and maybe Hungary.  So, yes, checking Country of Origin (COO) is now important.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 12:11:55 am »
The one thing missing in this thread are the Japanese tools.
Vessel anyone?
Industrial bits: http://www.vessel.co.jp/english/product/bit/
Construction bits: http://www.vessel.co.jp/english/product/bit2/

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:38 am »
Wiha!

Wiha, Wera now outsource some of their screwdriver and some other things to Czech Republic, Slovakia and maybe Hungary.  So, yes, checking Country of Origin (COO) is now important.

Funny how people assume that the country of origin tells you all there is to know about quality, but often, it doesn't.

Yes, China is known for cheaply and sloppily made stuff, I'm the first to admit that, but I have also seen stuff that they made very well and if you were told it was made in Germany, you'd simply believe it.
I recently bought some kitchen knives that were "made in Germany" but the quality was such that I wouldn't buy them again. So much for "made in Germany" >:(.

The "made in ..." label only tells part of the story anyway. If the different parts of a product were produced in China and assembled in e.g. Germany, it might actually say "made in Germany" on the label.
The company I work for does the same with some products that are made in Eastern Europe and assembled into the final product and tested over here. That extra work we do legally allows us to put "made in the Netherlands" on it, even though the bulk of the work was done elsewhere.

Nowadays, I prefer a well made product from anywhere in the world over a shoddily made and overpriced domestic one. So, if those Vietnamese made Wiha bits outperform locally made bits, I'll stick with the Wiha bits. If they disappoint me, I'll find something else. The Wiha bits I have now do say "made in Germany"... but yeah, are they really???

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »
Wiha!

Funny how people assume that the country of origin tells you all there is to know about quality, but often, it doesn't.

Yes, China is known for cheaply and sloppily made stuff, I'm the first to admit that, but I have also seen stuff that they made very well and if you were told it was made in Germany, you'd simply believe it.
I recently bought some kitchen knives that were "made in Germany" but the quality was such that I wouldn't buy them again. So much for "made in Germany" >:(.

The "made in ..." label only tells part of the story anyway. If the different parts of a product were produced in China and assembled in e.g. Germany, it might actually say "made in Germany" on the label.
The company I work for does the same with some products that are made in Eastern Europe and assembled into the final product and tested over here. That extra work we do legally allows us to put "made in the Netherlands" on it, even though the bulk of the work was done elsewhere.

Nowadays, I prefer a well made product from anywhere in the world over a shoddily made and overpriced domestic one. So, if those Vietnamese made Wiha bits outperform locally made bits, I'll stick with the Wiha bits. If they disappoint me, I'll find something else. The Wiha bits I have now do say "made in Germany"... but yeah, are they really???
If you watch Antique Road Show, you would have learned that in 1920s Germany exported to US a lot of cheap mass produced stuff.  So.  Yes, Made in Germany does not mean first rate product every time.

I already broke Vietnamese 3mm slot bit from my Wiha Ultra Driver.  However, to be fair, I broke it while modifying work done by someone else and that a$$hole just tighten the eF out the terminal screws, I am not sure any bit would have survived that.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:49 am »
Well, even the best bit breaks when subjected to more force than it can handle. I'm not only thinking of a single time but also the effects of repeated smaller overloads.
After thousands of screws, I had the tip of a Snap On bit suddenly shear off without any advance warning.

It really wouldn't be fair to compare Germany today with what it was nearly 100 years ago, between the two world wars that country was in a bad shape, now it's among the richest in the world.

But I don't think the point of this thread is to find the absolute best bits out there, but the ones with the best price to quality ratio.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:44:20 am by jitter »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf