Author Topic: Good quality base for Dremel 4000  (Read 3081 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Good quality base for Dremel 4000
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:47:15 pm »
I make PCBs and drill them using a Dremel 4000 plus a stand like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012RQG94?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This stand does the job but it uses a lot of plastic bits in many places, and the tip wanders losing accuracy. On top of that the plunger handle operates a large plastic cog that mates with a crudely threaded metal rod (something like rack and pinion) and there are kinks on the way down after some use.

Can you suggest a slightly better base?

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
Re: Good quality base for Dremel 4000
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:28 am »
I make PCBs and drill them using a Dremel 4000 plus a stand like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012RQG94?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This stand does the job but it uses a lot of plastic bits in many places, and the tip wanders losing accuracy. On top of that the plunger handle operates a large plastic cog that mates with a crudely threaded metal rod (something like rack and pinion) and there are kinks on the way down after some use.

The better Dremel is a Proxxon with all its stands, bells and whistles :)
I use Dremel for crude jobs, Proxxon for drilling with tungsten carbide drill bits; it works fine

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »

The better Dremel is a Proxxon with all its stands, bells and whistles :)
I use Dremel for crude jobs, Proxxon for drilling with tungsten carbide drill bits; it works fine

Same problem here, can you give us a link?

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:15 pm »
try googling "proxxon drill", then select "images"
It was a joke, by the way, proxxon stands are for proxxon tools only, they are not compatible with dremel.

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:27:29 pm »
I have found only this Proxxon 28606 Drill Stand MB 140/S

but the yellow bit is it plastic? Seems a bit flimsy to me

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »
No, for MB140 yellow bit is aluminium. There is no much plastic in that stand it all. BTW, I think MB140 is discontinued, but I can be wrong.
I have this one, it is not perfect, but order of magnitude better than dremel stand.
Not perfect, because I managed to snap a part that fixes whole assembly on a shaft, it's an omega-shaped part made of aluminium. Had to make an analog from brass :)

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »
I have a Dremel because I wanted a battery powered one and Proxxon does not have one. (At least when I bought it, maybe they do now)
I think the quality is pretty good, except the stand which is really bad.
There are adapters available to put a Dremel into the Proxxon stand. I don't have one, because I don't really need it, but if I did, I would get that.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »
I have a Dremel because I wanted a battery powered one and Proxxon does not have one. (At least when I bought it, maybe they do now)
I think the quality is pretty good, except the stand which is really bad.
There are adapters available to put a Dremel into the Proxxon stand. I don't have one, because I don't really need it, but if I did, I would get that.

Exactly the same, that’s why I bought it, but stand, is bad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf