Author Topic: Good sidecutters?  (Read 38359 times)

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Good sidecutters?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 05:36:37 am »
Mine have the light blue grips that sort of look like foam, they are excellent. They seem to grab the hand almost like skateboard grip tape. I bought a lot of 5 pairs in an auction and sharpened then myself, they are fantastic. Afterward I found out that they have a lifetime free resharpening service (you still pay shipping).

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 06:57:17 am »
Anyone heard of Aven?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:46 pm »
Anyone heard of Aven?

I didn't know they make sidecutters.
They make some good tweezers (and some cheaper ones too).  I also have some tuning tools from them that I like.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:00 am »
Anyone heard of Aven?
Yes. And they're just rebranding stuff made by others.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:23 am »
I am still working my way through a pack of Plato cutters I bought 15 (?) years ago from BG Micro.  No complaints.

I was surprised to see that BG Micro is still around, and still sells them: http://www.bgmicro.com/TOL1038.aspx

Has anyone ordered Plato or "Plato" cutters from AliExpress?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/American-Plato-PLATO-170-wishful-clamp-DIY-pliers-Electronic-pliers-Diagonal-pliers-Wishful-clamp/32725136902.html

Hmm, here is some (autotranslated) feedback:

Chinese quality. It is a fake Chinese. I try winepress bring. The only thing, pleased that the price. Packaged well.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 03:05:37 am »
I find Xuron cutters very comfortable for most tasks. They also seem to be durable enough (unlike with pliers, you shouldn't be putting so much leverage on side cutters that box vs lap joint makes the slightest difference).

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »
Made a short video of the ERASER TP-8 cut and clinch tool. 

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 05:11:31 am »
That seems like a pretty violent ejection.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline cluca1969

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 02:07:18 am »
Hello to everyone,
I have a Xcelite TCMB150MT tool kit and I need some advice from you, does anyone know what I can clean the handles of the pliers with foam green-blue grips, a method or some clean substances ?
Thank you very much.
Tektronix DMM4050, FLUKE 185, FLUKE 83 V, FLUKE 17B+, BRYMEN BM869s, BM235, BM857, Rigol DS1052E, Rigol DG1022, ANENG AN8008, Uni-T UT07B, UT18C, UT20B, UT116C, UT118B, UT120C, UT123T, UT131A, UT210E, UT658, HUNG CHANG HC-81, HUNG CHANG DM27.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:38 am »
Regarding Lindstrom, they're not what they used to be since production was moved to Spain (occurred under Sandvik's ownership IIRC, and has continued under Snap-On Europe's leadership).  :-- I've a pair of 8140Rx and I'm not fond of them (too much flex with wire gauge within specifications). Not that they don't work well enough, but they always make nervous of failing during normal use.

Yep, stay away from all the blue Lindstroms. They are the junk consumer version

Get the yellow 80 series
Nope, blue Rx series are high end while 80 series are a bit below.
http://www.lindstromtools.com/pdf_down.php

I've seen lots of blue Lindstroms that are in a bad state. blades not aligned, stupid plastic spring rather than metal. They just feel junky and dont cut as nice as the 80 yellow series.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: FrankE

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2018, 04:02:55 pm »
Hello to everyone,
I have a Xcelite TCMB150MT tool kit and I need some advice from you, does anyone know what I can clean the handles of the pliers with foam green-blue grips, a method or some clean substances ?
Thank you very much.

Try a grease cutting dishwashing soap.  Here is the US, we have Dawn, don't know if you do, if so, that is what I would recommend.  Simple Green, if available, is another option.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: cluca1969

Offline cluca1969

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:29 pm »
GreyWoolfe:
Thank you very much for your kindness.
Tektronix DMM4050, FLUKE 185, FLUKE 83 V, FLUKE 17B+, BRYMEN BM869s, BM235, BM857, Rigol DS1052E, Rigol DG1022, ANENG AN8008, Uni-T UT07B, UT18C, UT20B, UT116C, UT118B, UT120C, UT123T, UT131A, UT210E, UT658, HUNG CHANG HC-81, HUNG CHANG DM27.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2018, 12:22:23 am »
Whatever you use, you should also have a couple of cheapo pairs for cutting stuff that might damage more expensive ones. 
I went off Lindstrom (white and yellow) after I had a coupe of heads breaking under only mild abuse - a probelm with box-joints is the metal is inevitably thinner than lap-joint. 
I have a couple of pairs of CK cutters that have lasted pretty well, though the cut isn't as flush as I'd like (not so good at stripping as true flush-cut).
For bigger stuff, I've found Knipex are pretty indestructable

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: cluca1969

Offline cluca1969

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2018, 06:16:59 am »
Whatever you use, you should also have a couple of cheapo pairs for cutting stuff that might damage more expensive ones. 
I went off Lindstrom (white and yellow) after I had a coupe of heads breaking under only mild abuse - a probelm with box-joints is the metal is inevitably thinner than lap-joint. 
I have a couple of pairs of CK cutters that have lasted pretty well, though the cut isn't as flush as I'd like (not so good at stripping as true flush-cut).
For bigger stuff, I've found Knipex are pretty indestructable

You are right that you must have other side cutter models, I have a few side cutters like Belzer, Bahco, Knipex, Weller, Draper.
The idea was that I want to get up with a new face for those in my Xcelite tool kit and I'm looking for a cleaning method for the grip handles that are made of a harder sponge which in time becomes harder, become stiffer.
I tried some methods but no notable results:
- dishwasher
- isopropyl alcohol
- vinegar
- toothpaste
- coca-cola
- sandpaper fine grade
- lemon juice
- baking soda + vinegar

And as a last and desperate attempt would be a immersion in hot water + dishwasher.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:27:49 pm by cluca1969 »

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2018, 03:23:02 am »
I've had CK for 25 years varying from light usage to heavy commercial usage. I always wanted to 'upgrade' to Lindstrom blues but when I did, I realised the CKs are fine. The linstrom needle nosed were mangled within a month.
I've some Bahco snips which are good too.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:01 am »
I've had CK for 25 years varying from light usage to heavy commercial usage. I always wanted to 'upgrade' to Lindstrom blues but when I did, I realised the CKs are fine. The linstrom needle nosed were mangled within a month.
I've some Bahco snips which are good too.
FWIW, CK's cutters & pliers are actually made by Schmitz, and they sell directly for less (also ODM for Bernstein, NWS's yellow grips, Ohm, Gedore, and others).

Their shipping seems to have gone back to flat rate, so it's only cost effective if you order multiples at a time (came out to ~$6 per for me for 4 pcs to the US). They also sell through Amazon.co.uk, which may be less expensive for singles. Definitely less expensive than the same tool from CK.  ;)

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »

FWIW, CK's cutters & pliers are actually made by Schmitz, and they sell directly for less (also ODM for Bernstein, NWS's yellow grips, Ohm, Gedore, and others).

Their shipping seems to have gone back to flat rate, so it's only cost effective if you order multiples at a time (came out to ~$6 per for me for 4 pcs to the US). They also sell through Amazon.co.uk, which may be less expensive for singles. Definitely less expensive than the same tool from CK.  ;)

So I read. We'd no web back in the eighties when I bought them.They were cheap back in the day but I was shocked at their current price.
I could use a pair of ESD oblique flush cutters( frequent use) and a micro-serrated jaw shears for ribbon that won't crush (infrequent use). Any recommendations anyone?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2018, 09:21:31 pm »
I could use a pair of ESD oblique flush cutters( frequent use) and a micro-serrated jaw shears for ribbon that won't crush (infrequent use). Any recommendations anyone?
There are less expensive micro serrated shears, but I'm not familiar with them (i.e. a pair for ~10 - 11GBP on Amazon.co.uk from Tonic).

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:31 am »
Haha, yeah I'm currently using household scissors and though it works it seems a bit make-do-and-mend, which, come to think of it is what electronics repair is about.
Those schmitzes are a good price.

Offline pfrcom

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:59 am »
Anyone know a distributor in Australia for genuine ProsKit or CK?

http://www.radioparts.com.au stock some of it - don't know about a distributor

Offline hrbngr

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:56 am »
Can anyone that uses the EREM flush cutters recommend some part#s?  I am looking for an Side Cutter Oval head pair for the big stuff and a Pointed Relieved-Head or Side Cutter Tapered head pair for finer work and getting into tight spaces. I would also prefer the ones w/the foam grips if possible.

Based on a review of Erem's catalog ( http://www.weller-toolsus.com/MagentoShare/media/documents/ATGCatalog_EremLR.pdf  ) a good oval option seems to be the Series 800 822N (flush) or 896E (semi-flush), and for the Relieved ones, the Series 600 Micro 622NB (flush) or 776E (Super full flush)...since i have not used these types, i'm not really sure if they are the right ones, so definitely looking for options.

Also, is anyone aware of a decent, reasonably affordable carbide flush cutter for the tuff stuff?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2018, 07:17:41 am »
Can anyone that uses the EREM flush cutters recommend some part#s?  I am looking for an Side Cutter Oval head pair for the big stuff and a Pointed Relieved-Head or Side Cutter Tapered head pair for finer work and getting into tight spaces. I would also prefer the ones w/the foam grips if possible.

Based on a review of Erem's catalog ( http://www.weller-toolsus.com/MagentoShare/media/documents/ATGCatalog_EremLR.pdf  ) a good oval option seems to be the Series 800 822N (flush) or 896E (semi-flush), and for the Relieved ones, the Series 600 Micro 622NB (flush) or 776E (Super full flush)...since i have not used these types, i'm not really sure if they are the right ones, so definitely looking for options.

Also, is anyone aware of a decent, reasonably affordable carbide flush cutter for the tuff stuff?
The 896E and 622NB would be fine IMHO. For disclosure, I'm fond of a semi-flush as the spike is smaller without sacrificing longevity (full flush won't last as long. As you're in the US however, I'd recommend looking at other brands such as Tronex and Swanstrom (both offer standard and longer length foam grips).

For example, you could take a look at Swanstrom S512 or Tronex 5112 or 7112 for general purpose (7xxx = longer grips), and a Tronex 5422/7422 for small taper relieved.

There's a used pair of Swanstrom M409C tungsten carbide cutters that's a steal (data sheet; smallest oval head size). A used pair of Erem 595T tungsten carbide cutters are on eBay that looks to be in good shape as well. I think these will have a bit larger capacity than the M409C.

If you can deal with non-foam grips, you should also take a look at Schmitz (they are the ODM for CK Tools and Bernstein, as well as others). Top quality at ~ half the price or less of Tronex, Swanstrom, or Erem (just make a single order, as it's flat rate shipping from Germany to keep it cost effective; their pliers are second to none IME).

Offline hrbngr

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:19 pm »
nanofrog,

thanks for the reply. I took a look at the Schmitz cutters in the link you provided and I will now try to guess the models you would recommend. Please let me know if I am even close.  :-)

**note these are all the standard length of 125mm, not the small @ 120mm or Strong @ 130-140mm (I have a regular size hand, so if the "small" or "strong" are better for certain types, plz let me know.

Oval Head w/fine bevel (guessing it's closest to the semi-flush you mentioned
Tapered Head Relieved w/fine bevel
Oblique Tip cutter w/fine
Oblique Cutter w/fine

With Googles' $ to EU conversion, those (4) would run about $130 before shipping.

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2018, 09:24:41 pm »
I currently use 522N and 622N and I will not regret them: if correctly used they will last for years without losing cut.
Highly suggested!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2018, 10:06:47 pm »
Oval Head w/fine bevel (guessing it's closest to the semi-flush you mentioned
Tapered Head Relieved w/fine bevel
Oblique Tip cutter w/fine
Oblique Cutter w/fine
The models that state w/fine are semi-flush, and the 125mm dual compound grips are fine IME (I have these on the pliers I bought from them).

As per the bevel terminology, it's easier to figure out from their catalog as most brands use their own marketing terms for such a simple thing. In the case of Schmitz, their term of with bevel is a standard bevel (produces the largest spike), fine bevel is their term for semi-flush, and without bevel for full flush.

As per model numbers, these would make a nice set IMHO:
  • 3202HS22 (medium oval, semi-flush)
  • 3232HS22 (medium tapered relieved, semi-flush). A smaller version is available if you'd prefer.
  • 3522HS22 (oblique)*
These three combined, come out to a total of 96.50EUR, which includes the shipping (change the country under address, and the VAT drops out). For conversion, PayPal does their own, but it's competitive. They also add in a small fee (2.something if you set the payment method as a bank account, and 4% for CC when I did it.).

To get an accurate idea of conversion rates, use Xe.com. Only comes out to ~$118.93 + conversion fee (~$123.69 if you use a CC @ 4% fee). So roughly $40 per pair.

Add in another pair or some pliers (cheaper than cutters BTW), it will get lower as the shipping is flat rate @ 19.90EUR (double checked).

* My preferred oblique, but this is personal preference. I've a pair like the others you linked, but haven't used it since sometime in the 1980's.

The following users thanked this post: arcticfox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf