Author Topic: Hakko 951 from the US with step down transformer: any issues?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ironcurtainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm stateside for a short while and I have a chance to grab a Hakko 951 kit with quite a few extras for 300 USD. The unit alone retails for 235 USD the cheapest. It's 280 EUR in Europe, and I wrote a thread not long ago where I asked about Ersa and JBC... they are at least 209 EUR (the Nano) and the JBC models are all around 340 and higher.

So I'm thinking of grabbing a 951 and then a step down converter that I could use for other 110V equipment. Anyone know of any real, proven issues with such a setup? Does the difference in AC frequency cause any definitive issues, thermal and otherwise?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko 951 from the US with step down transformer: any issues?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »
Firstly the Pace ADS200 (starting to sound like a broken record here) is going to be selling in Europe soon for approx 225 euro (a little more if you want a setback stand), this is a 120W station. You might be in for some buyers remorse if you decide too early.

If the Hakko FX-951 transformer is rated for both 50/60Hz no problem. If the transformer is only rated for 60Hz then a "rough rule of thumb" is that it will perform like the transformer is 20% underrated, so run hotter and reach saturation earlier.

This is not so much an issue if the transformer was overrated to begin with or had headroom, but it's something to consider if you are running the device at it's maximum rating. Seeing the below picture posted by GreyWoolfe it only states 60Hz 120V operation.

The other factor is the difference in frequency and how it affects operation. As far as I'm aware the carts are the same in both geographies they just have a different series number and a few different tips. The irons are different and that appears to be cosmetic (one has an LED).

Another "rough rule of thumb" is you will need to have a stepdown of at least 2 to 3 times the rating of the device you are running. Refer to the stepdown transformers website/manual for more info on the load.

Make sure if you are buying a genuine FX-951 as there are plenty of fakes out there now.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:01:26 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hakko 951 from the US with step down transformer: any issues?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:00:08 pm »
I'm stateside for a short while and I have a chance to grab a Hakko 951 kit with quite a few extras for 300 USD. The unit alone retails for 235 USD the cheapest. It's 280 EUR in Europe, and I wrote a thread not long ago where I asked about Ersa and JBC... they are at least 209 EUR (the Nano) and the JBC models are all around 340 and higher.

So I'm thinking of grabbing a 951 and then a step down converter that I could use for other 110V equipment. Anyone know of any real, proven issues with such a setup? Does the difference in AC frequency cause any definitive issues, thermal and otherwise?
I think we can help you without letting you buy a unit from US and make modification.
If you like send me a PM
Thanks.
Technical Support

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf