Author Topic: Hakko FA400 on eBay  (Read 10306 times)

Offline netdudeukTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hakko FA400 on eBay
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:01:32 am »
Is this likely to be a counterfeit ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261709261463?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wonder how effective the filter would be and how safe it would be on the UK mains.

Is the basic design better than those other 'generic' standalone units ?  I found the latter style to be near useless as I needed to have it too close to the work.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko FA400 on eBay
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:41:23 pm »
From what I can see, unless you have a professional fume extraction work bench, or DIY a system with a vacuum, and ducting, anything like the Hakko or the Weller WSA350 that I have, will have to be placed close to the work.  It took a bit to get used to it, but I am comfortable with it right there at the project.  Professional systems like this:

http://www.techedu.com/Weller/Fume-Extraction/Weller-WFE2ESKIT1/?Source=googleshopping&gclid=CMGPmtKjnsMCFdgPgQod_y8APA

can be very expensive.  You might want to try to roll your own, something like this?

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:57:01 am »
You might want to try to roll your own, something like this?

When it's floating around 3C outside, the last thing you want to do is squirt all your warm air out there. Something like that wants a heat exchanger, otherwise you'll end up paying in electricity what the professional one would have cost :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:49:44 am »
Good point, I live in Florida.  It never gets that cold.  Look at this solution then:

Pretty neat and should be cheap to make, if not time consuming.  You can click a link at the beginning to see full build of version 2.  The video is over an hour long, though.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:01:09 am »
You might want to try to roll your own, something like this?

When it's floating around 3C outside, the last thing you want to do is squirt all your warm air out there. Something like that wants a heat exchanger, otherwise you'll end up paying in electricity what the professional one would have cost :)

My thoughts exactly. If it was warm enough I'd just have a fan blowing the fumes out the window.

The Hakko one looks better than some as it can be used on it's back so it wouldn't quite be so in the way even if it was near to the work.  However, I do still wonder if it is a fake and how effective and safe it would be ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:20:59 am »
As it happens, I just called them.  They can get it - for about £140  :-DD but haven't sold any in a very long time.  That price probably has something to do with it.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:49:39 am »
Look at this solution then:

Pretty neat and should be cheap to make, if not time consuming.

Yeah, nice job.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:02:44 pm »
Anyone tried the AOYUE 933 - Solder Fume Extraction System ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331236387574?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks like I could just tape the hose to my FX888D.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:12 pm »
With the understanding that the eBay Hakko FA400s are certainly fake, are they still better than nothing?? Given the prices of components here in Switzerland, I don't think I could build one for less than the $40 shipped that I could get a fake Hakko for.

(I don't like supporting counterfeiting, really, so I'm open to suggestions.)

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 05:28:19 pm »
As it happens, I just called them.  They can get it - for about £140  :-DD but haven't sold any in a very long time.  That price probably has something to do with it.

They are about £50-60 in Japan (9000-10000 yen) so yeah, someone selling one for £24 is obviously selling a fake.

What do you get for that price? A higher quality unit, with a quiet fan and good filters. Should last many years. Also has fixing for an arm (also about £60) so you can have it over your bench. Not sure if the fakes have the fixing or not. It isn't cheap, that's for sure.
HAKKO priced it 12000 Yen = 92 Euro
of course we heard about cheaper price.
we sell it for 95 euro and we understand it is not cheap, tight marign on it.
I asked HAKKO why EU FA-400 is way more expensive, the reply is often the same: different power cord, electronic design and certifications.

we are sorry we can not provide a better price, maybe a small discount code for the forum. let me know if some one is interested.

ciao
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:20 am »
I totally agree on not encouraging fakes. I don't really need a professional one, but I'm at a loss to what "cheaper types" there are that are available here in Switzerland -- every extractor I've found for sale here for under $100 has been a fake Hakko design, regardless of what brand it's labeled as.  (Is a counterfeit that lacks the brand name any less of a counterfeit??)

Here's an example: http://www.conrad.ch/ce/de/product/588318/Loetrauchabsaugung-TOOLCRAFT-ZD-153-230-VAC-23-W-60-mh?ref=list

If anyone has any suggestions for 220V extractors that are cheap and work well and aren't fakes, I'm all ears!  :-//

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »
I thought that was a clone of an older Hakko design??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf