Author Topic: Hakko Fr-300 desoldering tool  (Read 96584 times)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko Fr-300 desoldering tool
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
http://www.tequipment.net/Hakko/FR-300/

I will have all the tips up tommorrow.  I will put a 360 up soon as soon as we do the photography.

We sell hundreds of 808s.  This will be an excellent seller.  We have hakko certified people as well.

Do you have access to 220v versions of Hakko tools?, It seems like 220-240 are used somewhere in US as well?

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »
Yes, For lot of things actually... but not any transformer I guess, I read someone used an transformer with the 808 and it could not drive it.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:56 am »
Okay, just looking at the specs of the FR-300 vs the 808, I see a few interesting things:

Vacuum on the 300 is very slightly stronger than on the 808: 610 mmHg vs 600 mmHg
Vacuum flow of the 300 is 10% higher than that of the 808: 11 l/min vs 10 l/min
Weight (without cord) of the 300 is about 24% higher than the weight of the 808: 520g vs 420g
Wattage of the 300 is double that of the 808: 140W vs 70W
Temperature range of the 300 is somewhat greater than on the 808: 350C-500C vs 380C-490C
Cord length of the 300 is about 1 foot longer than that on the 808: 5.9 ft vs 4.9 ft

It appears that the 300 should heat up faster than the 808 does, weighs about 3.5 oz more, has a slightly longer cord and (from what I've read) has a better case. And it's blue and yellow. :)

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 12:43:56 pm »
So when are these going to be available?

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 02:27:04 pm »
So when are these going to be available?
I'm a bit confused on this - from some of the posts on this thread I get the impression that it already is available but when I e-mailed DanCap who are the main Hakko dealers in the UK I was told June, though that wasn't a fixed date.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:21 am »
I'm a bit confused on this - from some of the posts on this thread I get the impression that it already is available...
I don't think anyone is saying that they have one yet. Availability in the US is rumored to be June, but none of the Hakko Distributors I have talked to say that they know for sure. Please post here if anyone gets their hands on one. And please, your first impressions also.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 12:50:24 pm »
It's got an on/off switch which was my biggest complaint with the 808.

Hakko FR-300

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2014, 03:01:56 am »
So TEQuipment has them for order now...Are they in stock?

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2014, 08:17:17 am »
So TEQuipment has them for order now...Are they in stock?
I too am curious on this, I surmised that if it is available in June they might be quoting 4 week delivery. I still couldn't see anything on the Hakko web site, if it is coming out in June it is odd that they aren't showing it but perhaps they don't want to cannibalise sales of the 808 while old stock is cleared.

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »
When I e-mailed TEQuipment on Monday, they contacted Hakko and Hakko said mid-May.  So I'm guessing these are in stock now.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
So I'm guessing these are in stock now.

I just checked with TEquipment.net, and they are NOT in stock yet. They are hoping to receive them in about a week or so.

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
Ya, last I heard, they're shipping on the 6th of May.

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Received mine yesterday from Hakko in CA.  Ordered from TEQuipment, they shipped it Monday, got it Thursday.  Great service :-+.

Thoughts without having used it yet:
  • It's a lot better to hold than the 808, a bit smaller.
  • The on/off switch is kind of annoying, it's recessed into the backside of the handle and to click it on and off it's rather deep, if the hole was a little wider it wouldn't be so annoying, people with big fingers aren't going to like this.
  • It has an analog dial at the bottom of the handle for adjusting the temperature, 4 settings from 350 C* to 500 C*. 
  • The filter release was redesigned and I like it.  With the 808 you have to pull the plunger back and hold it in place to replace it.  The new design, the tube comes out and the plunger locks in place so you can easily put it back in, then hit the lock release and it locks the filter back in place.
  • The tips are much easier to replace.  You simply twist it about a quarter of an inch and the nozzle unlocks allowing you to slide it off.
  • The heat protector is a joke, I prefer the cloth one that came with the 808 to this.  Now it's just a piece of stamped steel rolled into a cylinder (it's not even sealed!!!), very cheaply done.
  • The stand for it also seems useless, another piece of stamped metal.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:10:29 pm by Pasky »

Offline SjokoladeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
Still waiting for mine to arrive.

What parts came with as extras ? I see a few filters,anything else ? tips ?
Let us know if it is performing better then the 808.

If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 02:49:24 pm »
It comes with everything you see there, on the top side of the case is the tip cleaner and heater core cleaner, same as the 808.  It actually came with less filters than the 808 and no extra reservoir.  No other tips were included, what you see there is what you get (including the improved case), minus the 1 sheet of folded instructions paper, and 2 cleaning tools.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »
I also got my new FR-300 yesterday.
See a first impression video here:
http://youtu.be/lUrXNozK1Xg

Overall, I'm very happy with the changes made to the new Hakko FR-300 compared to the older Hakko 808 desoldering gun. Standout improvements are the sleeker and smaller design and better ergonomic and relaxed fit in the hand. The handle and trigger mechanism is now designed to make prolonged use of the gun much more comfortable. The on-off switch with LED indicator and longer cord is another BIG improvement over the 808. I like the thumb wheel temperature selector with the visual reference to temperature settings, it’s way easier to adjust than the 808. Tip retainer mechanism on the FR-300 is much improved as is the solder tube and holder. While the slight increase in vacuum suction is welcome, the decrease in size of the gun made mostly possible by going to a single diaphragm pump is a big design plus. An increase in wattage should positively round off the numerous improvements to an already good product, making the FR-300 a must have on the electronics workbench.

Some small CONS: There is no protective iron cover included in the FR-300 kit as was included in the 808 kit. The protective tube that is used to protect the case from a hot iron is a poor afterthought and a next to useless. Fewer filter parts are included with the newer kit, compared with the older kit.

Overall: A BIG Thumbs Up for the new Hakko FR-300. While I have not had a chance to put it to serious use it yet, my first impressions are that I like it very much!

Offline SjokoladeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2014, 07:12:47 pm »
Nice video iRad, loved the tip removal tool.

Is the standard tip 1 mm  (N50-04) ?

Is the reservoir made of glass ?
If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2014, 07:15:21 pm »
No, it's plastic.

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »
Is the standard tip 1 mm  (N50-04) ?
Is the reservoir made of glass ?

As already mentioned by Pasky, the Filter Pipe is made of plastic, but that is a good thing in this case. The plastic holds up very well to heavy use and will not break as easily if dropped.

You are correct about the nozzle tip that ships with the gun, the N50-4 1mm. I am trying to place an order for the rest of the tip sizes, but they are evidently not stocked as of yet...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:36:52 pm by iRad »

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 11:34:28 pm »
After having a chance to use the new FR-300 for a couple of hours today, I can say that I'm still very impressed with it compared to the 808. It certainly builds and maintains heat better and is more comfortable to hold for longer periods than the 808. I wished it shipped with additional tips though.

Another small thing I missed in the video is that the 808 kit came with an additional Filter Pipe, this is also lacking in the FR-300 kit. While I never needed to replace mine, it was nice knowing I had the backup if needed.

I do have one more small gripe I've discovered after use. Although Hakko put an LED on the front of the handle that lights when the heater element is on, it is difficult to see and of course the light is intermittent, lighting only when the gun is actually heating the element. It would have been nice if an additional LED be installed near the on/off switch, indicating an ON condition and in a place viewable while in a solder station holder. The LED installed in the front of the handle is not viewable in the guns normal safe storage position, which should be located in a proper holder somewhere on the workbench.

Well, now the dilemma of to hack or not to hack a new ON/OFF LED in the rear handle... What do you think??? Should I risk messing up my warranty, or should I wait a reasonable period to make sure it doesn't fail on me?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:37:58 pm by iRad »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 05:00:13 pm »
Go for it. Make it your own!

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 07:16:05 pm »
What are you using to hold yours (stand, etc...) while it's on iRad?  I can't figure out how the hell you would use this piece of poo 'simple' stand.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:17:57 pm by Pasky »

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »
What are you using to hold yours (stand, etc...)

I use Hakko 633-01 Iron Holder with 599B Tip Cleaner for my two irons and the desoldering gun.

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2014, 07:58:08 pm »
I think I might invest in one then, because I find this problematic.

Would you mind snapping a picture to show a fit (with the FR-300 resting in it)?

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40:42 pm »
Would you mind snapping a picture to show a fit (with the FR-300 resting in it)?

Here is a picture of it...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:53:12 pm by iRad »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf