Author Topic: Hakko FR300 question  (Read 1402 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Hakko FR300 question
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:10:17 pm »
I noticed that you can get different tips for this - does anyone have comments on what tips they use and why?  I'm interesting in getting one of these, but I want to know if it can also be effective with removing solder from some surface mount parts too.  I mostly work with 1206 stuff.

Offline lwatts666

• Supporter
Re: Hakko FR300 question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 03:32:53 am »
The FR300 is intended for thru-hole desoldering. The tip hole needs to accommodate the component pin/lead and still have some room for the solder flow around it, but not so large that it touches surrounding pads. The tip size you need depends on the size of the component leads you need to desolder. The supplied tip suits most components. I have a larger 1.3mm tip that gets used (rarely) for larger pins such as high current connectors.

It will not effectively desolder SMD parts. It will suck away most of the solder fillet, but leave the solder between the component and the pad. A hot air rework station or hot tweezers are far more effective for SMD removal.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko FR300 question
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 02:35:02 pm »
You can use a desoldering gun to clean away solder from SMD pads after the component is removed—Pace has videos demonstrating this. To make better contact with the pad, they have a series of SMD tips with an optimized bevel; I don't think Hakko has something similar.
But desoldering braid, freshly fluxed, will also work to achieve the same result. The disadvantage to braid is that it can become frozen to the pads which can be hard to fix without damage. The workspace also gets covered in used braid pieces if you aren't conscientious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf