Author Topic: Hakko FX-100 any good?  (Read 29387 times)

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Hakko FX-100 any good?
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:12:50 am »
I'm now at a stage where I need a good soldering station in my home lab. I had a look at various products and narrowed it down to a few contenders I liked. However, for one of them (Hakko FX-100) I couldn't find any real-world reviews.

So I wonder if anyone here has any experience with the Hakko FX-100 and could give me some insight as to how good it is?

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hakko FX-100 any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:24:19 am »
Hi mate, I have one but it doesn't come with a tip....so I can't try it out just yet.  :-DD

Tips are bloody expensive in Australia ($30-$50), and the local distributors don't seem to have any stock at the moment. If you give me a couple of weeks I'll be able to report back with my experiences with the iron.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:36:11 am »
I find it interesting that Hakko have patents on the induction heating of soldering irons going back 20 years or more, yet only seem to have recently released this first product. I wonder what made them wait so long? The design certainly sounds like it should be the most responsive thing available. The reality could, of course, be very different.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:09:46 am »
I find it interesting that Hakko have patents on the induction heating of soldering irons going back 20 years or more, yet only seem to have recently released this first product. I wonder what made them wait so long? The design certainly sounds like it should be the most responsive thing available. The reality could, of course, be very different.

Maybe waiting for Metcal patents to expire? That's the obvious next question...this vs. Metcal. Who wins?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:44 am »
Hi mate, I have one but it doesn't come with a tip....so I can't try it out just yet.  :-DD

Really? That's a shame.

Tips are bloody expensive in Australia ($30-$50), and the local distributors don't seem to have any stock at the moment.

The situation doesn't seem to be much better here in the UK.  :(

If you give me a couple of weeks I'll be able to report back with my experiences with the iron.

Thanks, but I'd have to make a decision in the next few days. But please still report your findings, at least I'll know what I missed or what I got myself into (depending if I go for the FX-100)   ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:30:23 am »
Maybe waiting for Metcal patents to expire? That's the obvious next question...this vs. Metcal. Who wins?

Well, I know Metcal, they are great, but I don't want one for personal use.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 12:30:08 pm »
I don't understand. This thing costs about as much as a Metcal, and seems to use the same basic technology. Since you need to change tips to change temperatures, it seems like it's the same right down to using curie point regulation.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:20:11 pm »
Thanks, but I'd have to make a decision in the next few days. But please still report your findings, at least I'll know what I missed or what I got myself into (depending if I go for the FX-100)   ;)

Will do. RS wants ~$66 for a tip, ughhhhh.

What I can say at the moment is that the transformer inside only has 220/230/240v taps, so I doubt we will be able to purchase a 100V model and rewire the taps. Hakko usually charges a premium for the ~230V models.

I think the handpiece is nicer than the standard JBC T245, it's a bit shorter overall and the cable is slightly thinner and more supple. The Hakko grip is rubbery whereas the JBC is plastic fantastic. I do prefer the Hakko ergonomics.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:22:14 pm »

Why not?

I don't understand. This thing costs about as much as a Metcal, and seems to use the same basic technology. Since you need to change tips to change temperatures, it seems like it's the same right down to using curie point regulation.

It is.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:27:32 pm »
I sort of have to wonder what Hakko brings to the table with this thing. Does it perform better than Metcal? They seem to be priced about the same, so why buy the Hakko? At one time, Hakko was making products that at least stacked nicely. They seem to have become hellbent on not allowing that anymore, starting with the FX951 and FX888. I really like my Hakko stuff, but I'm starting to wonder about them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:59 pm »

Why not?

Mostly price (I could get the FX-100 noticably cheaper). Plus I somehow prefer the 'feel' of the Hakko handpieces I've tried. That doesn't mean MetCal isn't a top brand (which they definitely are). Just some personal preference.

However, after further serious consideration of the alternatives I'm now down to the Hakko FX-951, simply due to the attractive price and the accessories (tips, handpieces) that are available for it, and also because it seems really a lot more difficult to get hold of FX-100 tips in Europe than for the other Hakko models.

@deadlylover: I'm still looking forward read about your experience, I'm still tempted by the FX-100, and maybe I just get one later in addition to the FX-951.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:38 pm »
What's your source for the FX-100? Everywhere I've seen it's priced pretty close to Metcal. I'm looking at a Metcal now, not that I dislike my JBC, because I think JBC is the bees knees, but because I think Metcal's tip geometry is better suited to some of the things I'm doing now.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 08:06:34 pm »
What's your source for the FX-100?

Personal contacts  ;D Otherwise they seem to be rare like hen's teeth (the only publich source in the UK I could is RS, which isn't exactly known for its low prices).

Everywhere I've seen it's priced pretty close to Metcal. I'm looking at a Metcal now, not that I dislike my JBC, because I think JBC is the bees knees, but because I think Metcal's tip geometry is better suited to some of the things I'm doing now.

Indeed, tip availability is certainly another factor to consider. Luckily I'm planning to use the new soldering station for basic SMT and SMD stuff, but I'd still want to have a decent selection of tips available. Which is one reason I ruled out the FX-888D right from the start (it also seemed to be designed more for the hobbyist market).

I never tried JBC but just looking at them they come across a bit too gimmicky. Doesn't mean they are bad, I just don't know them. They seem to have very nice desoldering handpieces (I really hate the pistol format most desoldering irons seem to have, I prefer pencil handpieces).

I'm grown up on Pace Rework Stations (PP200 and up), and some older Wellers. Most soldering stations at work are Pace (mostly Rework Stations), and I like them. Pace is my Plan B should I find myself unable to get a FX-951 for a decent price from a reputable source (well, the two listed distributors for Hakko) here in the UK.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:10:10 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »
My experience with the JBC is it's definitely not gimmicky. I neglected to include thermal reliefs on a pour on a board I made some time ago. Instead of trashing $1000 worth of boards, I decided to give the JBC a try to see if it could just get through it.  It did. They make an excellent product, and I think the only thing out there that can give it a run for it's money is Metcal.

But my current boards are very tight, and getting good contact is difficult. I brought in some different tips and it's better, but the JBC angles and shapes are just not quite right to comfortable get where they need to get.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 02:32:38 am »
My experience with the JBC is it's definitely not gimmicky. I neglected to include thermal reliefs on a pour on a board I made some time ago. Instead of trashing $1000 worth of boards, I decided to give the JBC a try to see if it could just get through it.  It did. They make an excellent product, and I think the only thing out there that can give it a run for it's money is Metcal.

But my current boards are very tight, and getting good contact is difficult. I brought in some different tips and it's better, but the JBC angles and shapes are just not quite right to comfortable get where they need to get.
FWIW, GreyWoolfe has both a Metcal MX-500 and Hakko FX-951, and has stated their performance is very similar to one another.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 05:36:23 am »

As I said, I don't really know JBC, but it's good to hear that they make good soldering stations, too.

FWIW, GreyWoolfe has both a Metcal MX-500 and Hakko FX-951, and has stated their performance is very similar to one another.

Sounds good! The FX-951 is still my #1, and #2 the Pace ST50 with TD-100. But I'll definitely have a look at JBC before I decide, too.

Choosing the right soldering station turned out to be more compliated than I initially though.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:11 am »

Well, if that's the case then I can tell you that JBC's stations blow away the MX-500. As much as I like Hakko, I have a FP101, and have a lot of time on an FX-951, the JBC is noticeable superior. I find that disappointing, to be honest. I would have expected Metcal to be better than the FX-951.

But just to be clear, I think the 951 is a FINE solder station.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:31:50 am by John Coloccia »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:27:02 am »

Well, if that's the case then I can tell you that JBC's stations blow away the MX-500. As much as I like Hakko, I have a FP101, and have a lot of time on an FX-951, the JBC is noticeable superior. I find that disappointing, to be honest. I would have expected Metcal to be better than the FX-951.

But just to be clear, I think the 951 is a FINE solder station.

Which JBC would recommend as a suitable equivalent to the FX-951 and the MX-500?

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 09:44:29 am »
I use the Compact one: the CD-B.

I'll be very honest, though, and tell you that unless you really need the performance for some reason, and most people just don't, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I think it's worth spending some extra bucks for the 951 over an FX888 for convenient tip changes and better performance, but I wouldn't bother with JBC or Metcal unless you really have some challenging jobs to tackle.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 09:59:32 am »
I use the Compact one: the CD-B.

Looks nice!

I'll be very honest, though, and tell you that unless you really need the performance for some reason, and most people just don't, I wouldn't waste my money on it. I think it's worth spending some extra bucks for the 951 over an FX888 for convenient tip changes and better performance, but I wouldn't bother with JBC or Metcal unless you really have some challenging jobs to tackle.

That's true, however while at the moment I just need a good soldering station for basic stuff this might change in a year or so, and since I can afford to invest a bit of cash I'd rather spend a bit more (even if that means "over-buying") to make sure I'm covered for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I still have to check how availability in my country is for JBC and Hakko tips and spares. It's very easy with Pace (I can just buy it from their website).

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »
+1 for the FX-951.  I am happy with mine and with the TEquipment.net discount, I got the iron, 5 tips and tip holders and an extra brass curls for $287 USD.  It is still on sale for $236.49 USD before discount.  I also scored a great deal on a Metcal MX-500P II.  I have the Talon tweezers, wand and cradles all in for $140 USD without tips.  I got the Metcal after I got the Hakko and as much as I like the Hakko, if I had found the Metcal deal before the Hakko, I wouldn't have purchased it and would have kept my Hakko 936 as a second.  Right now, I am using both about equally.  The only change I am going to make is set the Hakko power save for 5 minutes instead of the default 0 minutes because it is a bit slower than the Metcal to wake up.  If you do get the FX-951, make sure you put a piece of electrical tape over the piezo buzzer, it is annoyingly loud.

I can say the 951 is a HUGE step up from the 936 (888) in every way possible.  Faster heat up, faster recovery time, faster and easier tip changes, more comfortable wand-there is simply no comparison.  I am not disappointed with mine and you won't be disappointed if you buy one.  A sensible set of tips will let you do anything you need.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 02:30:38 pm »
Ok, I've done it  :phew: After long deliberation about principles (conventional vs induction) and a look at what the brands are offering I have now taken the plunge and ordered a Hakko FX-100 :D

The reason I went back to the FX-100 is because it uses induction heating (and different sources suggest that it's better at heating up and maintaining temperature than conventional heating), and the tips (most around around €11 to €14 + VAT) seem to be a cheaper than MetCal (plus they are supposed to be more durable, but I'm not counting on that). I also like that the FX-100 offers an overboost function to raise the temperature a bit when needed, something that seems to be absent from MetCal. And as a bonus, I really like the design (I know that's not very relevant, still I have to look at that thing!).

Unfortunately the deal I was offered had now expired, but it's currently on sale at batterfly.com for €420 (approx £308) + VAT which I think is a pretty good offer. I'm sure the FX-100 will serve me well for the near future, and if I need special tips not available on the FX-100 I can still buy a FX-951  ;)

Thanks everyone for their advice! I really have to say that buying something like a scope or a signal generator or other test gear is a piece of cake compared to finding the right soldering station, and I've seriously underestimated the complexity that goes into soldering equipment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:32:53 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 02:37:22 pm »
So, when can we expect a thorough review of the FX-100 from you?  ;) O0

Greetings

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »
So, when can we expect a thorough review of the FX-100 from you?  ;) O0

I'll do one when it arrives and I'm done finishing my R&S CMU200/CRTU Review  ;D

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »
I also like that the FX-100 offers an overboost function to raise the temperature a bit when needed, something that seems to be absent from MetCal.

Now, I don't have one, but from my perspective.. that's bollocks. The power supply can't change the laws of physics.

It could simply be driving more power into the tip for a short duration (until it overheats itself), though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf