Author Topic: Hakko FX-100 any good?  (Read 29430 times)

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Hakko FX-100 any good?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 04:48:34 pm »
I also like that the FX-100 offers an overboost function to raise the temperature a bit when needed, something that seems to be absent from MetCal.

Now, I don't have one, but from my perspective.. that's bollocks. The power supply can't change the laws of physics.

It could simply be driving more power into the tip for a short duration (until it overheats itself), though.

That's what it does, but it's only 5-10deg C more so not by much.

Anyways, it might be that I won't get my FX-100 after all   :(  Batterfly has just informed me that the soldering station is on stock but none of the tips I wanted are, and even worse, I couldn't find another source who actually has them on stock, UK and abroad. I inquired with two Hakko distributors and both said they'd have to order them with a lead time of 4+ weeks. Batterfly said they'll inquire with their supplier and will come back to me, but considering that I couldn't get most of them anywhere else (well, I found a few on Amazon US, but the sellers there won't sell to abroad) I don't have much hope.

I remember that the FX-100 came out last year, and by now I would have expected that the tips should be readily available. Which could explain why the FX-100 seems to be so rare.

So it looks I'll be back to square one again  >:(

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »
Sounds good! The FX-951 is still my #1, and #2 the Pace ST50 with TD-100. But I'll definitely have a look at JBC before I decide, too.

Choosing the right soldering station turned out to be more compliated than I initially though.
FWIW, the JBC will outperform the FX-951 (not tried the Pace), and availability won't be an issue in the UK.

BTW, have you considered an Ersa i-Con Nano?
Performance is on par with a Weller WS81 or WD1 w/WP80 or WSP80 irons, and FX-950/1 for example. Excellent tip quality, they're in expensive, and have an excellent selection. Availability is good as well (multiple sources).

Well, if that's the case then I can tell you that JBC's stations blow away the MX-500. As much as I like Hakko, I have a FP101, and have a lot of time on an FX-951, the JBC is noticeable superior. I find that disappointing, to be honest. I would have expected Metcal to be better than the FX-951.

But just to be clear, I think the 951 is a FINE solder station.
The FX-951 is a fine station, and one heck of a value in the North American market at least (especially when you take TEquipment's current pricing into account).  ;D Well worth the extra money as an upgrade to the FX-888 IMHO (~$200 less than a JBC Compact w/ 245 iron IIRC).

Makes JBC's performance gain come at quite a premium here at least, so I do understand your point of only going after it if needed. Not so sure this works out the same way in other markets though from what I've seen of UK/EU pricing for example.

Which JBC would recommend as a suitable equivalent to the FX-951 and the MX-500?
Any of them that uses the 245 iron. The compact model mentioned will be less expensive than the modular versions, but the trade-off is you can't use other tools with it (can't change the stand).

I think it's worth spending some extra bucks for the 951 over an FX888 for convenient tip changes and better performance, but I wouldn't bother with JBC or Metcal unless you really have some challenging jobs to tackle.
The value it represents in the US doesn't cover all markets unfortunately, potentially making other brands/models a better choice (spares & consumable availability as well).

For example, the Ersa i-Con Nano is a better value in the EU market IMHO (i.e. 177EUR for the Nano vs. 300EUR for the FX-951). The FX-950 is closer @ 225EUR, but you lose features (analog version for 220/230/240V markets).

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2015, 03:55:49 am »
As a point of reference, I looked at the JBC CD1-BD.  My problem was the $230 USD price difference before tips.  I simply couldn't justify the cost difference.  There was even a real difference in the cost of tips.  I ended up adding the Metcal with 5 tips for about $190 so for about the cost of the CD-1BD without tips, I have the FX-951, the MX-500 and tips.

I haven't yet done a lot of soldering with both stations yet, just initial impressions on how they work.  I am currently soldering 2 Arduino Uno proto shields for Jack-o-Lantern projects for the grandkids.  I am doing 1 with the Metcal and will do the other with the Hakko, just to get used to using them.  I have some smd practice boards, protoboards and components coming in and I will be doing a side by side comparison between the 2 stations.  Some of the tests include timing how long it takes to solder 5W resistors to 1" square copper pads, see if there is thermal drop off while soldering 100 through hole resistors onto protoboards with through hole plating as quick as possible, and soldering Western Union splices on 12 and 10 AWG wire (with timing).  I'm going to try to give them a real workout to see just what they can do.  That should be sometime in November/December as some stuff is on the slow boat from China.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 07:14:02 am »
You're not in the Connecticut area, are you?

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
  • Computer Engineering Student
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 07:34:09 am »
What are the advantages of these high end soldering stations compared to a fx888d for example?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 12:50:00 pm »

No, the sunny state of Flori-Duh. 

What are the advantages of these high end soldering stations compared to a fx888d for example?

I started off with a Hakko 936.  The warm up time on the 951 and MX-500 is a few seconds compared to 30 for the 936.  Thermal recovery between joints is instantaneous.  The thinner wands are much more comfortable to use and the closer tip to grip gap gives more control.  Tip changes are easier and faster.  The 951 and MX-500 heat the joint to be soldered much quicker so less thermal stress.  The auto sleep and auto off functions are nice to save tips.  I would still forget to turn off the 936 even after adding a power LED.  My 936 served me well but it is going to a new home. 

It really comes down to your needs and budget.  Did I need the 951 or the MX-500.  Nope.  I just wanted a nice soldering iron.  We live on a tight budget but I was able to clean some stuff out of the garage to fund the purchases of the 951 and the MX-500.  SWMBO has always supported me on spending money on tools I actually use.  If you do a lot of soldering, it is well worth the money to upgrade to the better equipment.  Taken care of properly, they will last for years.  If you don't just look at price and look at total cost of ownership-ease of use, flexibility, better work flow, less frustration at limitations-it just makes good sense to get the best you can get.  Many posters here on the blog have said that the soldering iron is probably the one piece of gear that you will use the most.  You might as well get the most iron that you can.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 01:28:23 pm »

No, the sunny state of Flori-Duh. 

Too bad. We could gotten together and put your Metcal and Hakko 951, and my JBC,  head to head on some of my production work. That would pretty much put to bed once and for all who's king when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Incidentally, if anyone IS in the Hartford area with a MX-5200, or something like that, and you want to drop by the shop to do a little shootout with the JBC, let me know and we'll see if we can work it out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:30:24 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 02:34:44 pm »
Too bad. We could gotten together and put your Metcal and Hakko 951, and my JBC,  head to head on some of my production work.
There may be a way to come up with a meaningful enough comparison test, despite the distance.

PM sent.  >:D

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 02:43:34 pm »
I'll do what I can to help.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 02:56:06 pm »
I'll do what I can to help.
It will be appreciated, thanks.  :)

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »
Just picked up a Metcal PS900.  More of a hobbyist model than the others the produce, but it still blows the socks off my Hakko 888 (which is still a great iron). I paid $180 for an open box with five tips, a bit of solder, some flux and a few other things.  To my disappointment it didn't come with the sleep mode stand and I had to order that separate.  Still a very nice iron and it really puts out the heat on a ground plane.

Fat

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 01:10:37 am »
Welcome to the Metcal Club ;D

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:28 am »
A little update: I'll get the FX-100 after all  :) Batterfly has some T31 tips on stock which weren't the ones I wanted but they'll do for now, and I'll see when they get the other ones I wanted and then order them separately so that I'll have a good selection of tips available.

The soldering station should arrive this week, so I'll probably be able to take it for a ride around the block during the weekend  ;)

Offline Erythros

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:31 am »
Has it been delivered yet? If so could you open it up and take photos of nice resolution of the innards? I am very interested.

Thank you.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am »
Has it been delivered yet? If so could you open it up and take photos of nice resolution of the innards? I am very interested.

Thank you.

Here are some crappy pictures, I'm using a kit macro lens that's as slow as a wet week...
If there's something in particular you want to see, let me know, I still refuse to pay $66 for a tip so it's not like the iron is being used at the moment.  :-DD

The part # for the heatsinked devices:
LM2576HVT
IRFI510G
IRFB4020
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:38:43 am by deadlylover »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 10:54:41 am »
I have the oddest feeling that'll turn out to be a near exact copy of a Metcal.. Pieces of it certainly are.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:03:02 am by Monkeh »

Offline Tech.DHarmer

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 01:47:05 am »
Well I just ordered one of the fx-100s today. Hoping it turns out to be a good investment. Especially since mcm I think miss marked the price :)  .

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »
Well I just ordered one of the fx-100s today. Hoping it turns out to be a good investment. Especially since mcm I think miss marked the price :)  .

Did you get the FX-100? What was the MCM price?

Online KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 08:56:48 pm »

If you ever tried to remove SMD parts from ground plane in tight spots on multilayer board, it simply doesn't work very well or even at all with a regular iron. Ability to get a lot of power into a small tip will be gold, if this is a routine thing for you. These kinds of boards are usually assembled in an oven, but repair and rework are going to call for an iron.

JBC has additional advantage if you are on the other end of the scale, too, soldering railroad spikes and the like.

FWIW, the 888 and the 936 are not the same thing. The 936/7 has 45W. The 888 had 65W. The cold start up time is about 20 seconds or less on an 888. This difference of 44% more power is not insignificant when it comes to soldering temp retention/recovery.

The 951 only has 75 or 80W.... but the integral heater is supposed to make it more responsive and efficient... a few seconds cold start on it, per Greywolfe, shows how big a difference the heater/tip design can make in efficiency, even without factoring in the improvement of the sensor feedback loop. It's not all about the power rating of what the PSU can give. One might extrapolate that the 951 is only 15% better at heating up your lab, but that it might be at least 300% better at getting the power to the tip of the iron.

I have 888. In practice, this means when I come across a non thermally grounded thru hole pin or pad, I have to crank up the temp to compensate. This is pretty rare, for me. And there are things I could not do, at all, on multilayer boards. Which are even more rare, for me to be reworking. Hot air and a third hand to hold it can do as a bodge. Low temp soldering alloy. And the "two iron" trick can usually get me thru this rare case. But I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if I knew I was going to have to do this in advance. :) The things that the 888 can do very well are many, and I'm sure it would be awhile before I could completely replace it. Tip selection and all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:27:32 pm by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf