Author Topic: HAKKO FX-600  (Read 13135 times)

Offline steve0hhTopic starter

HAKKO FX-600
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:29 am »
Hi guys,

First post here. haha..

Would like to know what you guys think of the hakko fx 600 as compared to the hakko fx-888D.
This is due to the fact that fx-888d costs about $144USD from where I stay and I do not have a lot of money as I am still studying.
I am just starting out in electronics and looking to buy a decent soldering iron but it's so expensive.
URL - https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx600.html

Thanks in advance!

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: HAKKO FX-600
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:16:51 am »
It's not bad apparently, I don't have one but have heard its good for what it is.

Another option is a cheaper soldering station and put a genuine tip on it.
Most of the generic stations out there can use hakko 900m tips.

The tip quality makes up a significant percentage of what makes an iron good.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:35:39 am »
It looks like replacement heaters are unavailable, as these are mains-powered instead of the widely-available 24V type.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »
You have to pay attention when trying to put original tips on clones.  There needs to be a fairly tight fit between tip and heater element or you won't get the thermal performance you want.  If there isn't an immediate dire need for a soldering, save up and get the FX-888D.  You won't be disappointed, especially if you pay the money and get OEM tips.  You don't want to use cheap clone tips for the reason mentioned above.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »
You have to pay attention when trying to put original tips on clones.  There needs to be a fairly tight fit between tip and heater element or you won't get the thermal performance you want.  If there isn't an immediate dire need for a soldering, save up and get the FX-888D.  You won't be disappointed, especially if you pay the money and get OEM tips.  You don't want to use cheap clone tips for the reason mentioned above.

Hmm.. so you wouldn't recommend FX600 as a cheaper alternative of FX888D?
Shucks.. thought I could save a few extra bucks.. haha.

Offline ogara

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 04:55:55 pm »
How cheap is the FX-600 over there?

You can still grab the infamous Yihua 936, pretty popular for a low budget soldering station and its under $30 from hobbyking at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24789__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_AUS_plug.html

Since you are starting out, don't go for the expensive ones.  Its the technique that actually matter more.  When I started, I got a 20W and a 40W GOOT and they still works after so many years.  I'm only looking for a temp controlled one to keep up with old age.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:13:01 pm »

Hmm.. so you wouldn't recommend FX600 as a cheaper alternative of FX888D?
Shucks.. thought I could save a few extra bucks.. haha.

I thought that's what I said :-//  :-DD.  I learned a valuable lesson many years ago from my dearly departed dad.  He always said to buy the best tool I can afford so I only have to buy it once.  For the most part I listened and when I ignored his sage advice, I got what I deserved. |O

How cheap is the FX-600 over there?

You can still grab the infamous Yihua 936, pretty popular for a low budget soldering station and its under $30 from hobbyking at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24789__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_AUS_plug.html

Since you are starting out, don't go for the expensive ones.  Its the technique that actually matter more.  When I started, I got a 20W and a 40W GOOT and they still works after so many years.  I'm only looking for a temp controlled one to keep up with old age.

You used the right word, infamous.  I seem to see far more complaints about Hakko clones compared to the real products.  Technique is very important, but......  An analogy would be ham radio antennas, a $10,000 radio with a crappy antenna works like crap but a crappy radio with an proper, quality antenna works like a million bucks.  It comes down to personal preference.  To me, almost good enough, isn't.  I started with firesticks until I learned there were other options.  I bought my real Hakko 936 7 years ago because it's what I could afford at the time and I saved money for it.  I bought OEM tips because it was the right way to do it.  The 951 I just got was what I could afford because I couldn't justify the stretch to the JBC CD-1BD nor did I want to spend the same money for a used Metcal.  I have been very happy with both purchases.  My plan was to keep the 936 as a 2nd iron but scoring the Metcal MX-500P in a trade will probably have me selling the 936 with a spare PSU once I sort out the minor issues with the Metcal.  Having something not quite good enough has simply given me aggravation over the years and my time is too valuable for that.  As always, YMMV.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:28:30 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:44 pm »
I thought that's what I said :-//  :-DD.  I learned a valuable lesson many years ago from my dearly departed dad.  He always said to buy the best tool I can afford so I only have to buy it once.  For the most part I listened and when I ignored his sage advice, I got what I deserved. |O

What you said is true..

Thanks so much for your help.
I'll just save up for a original HAKKO FX888D to save me future headaches. 
I guess good tools pay for itself too.. :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 01:22:51 am »

What you said is true..

Thanks so much for your help.
I'll just save up for a original HAKKO FX888D to save me future headaches. 
I guess good tools pay for itself too.. :-+

Absolutely, they do.  You won't be disappointed.  I have heard the interface can be a bit wonky changing temps but you won't be doing that often.  Just make sure to RTFM so you don't mess anything up.  Remember, if the tips are cheap, they aren't real.  My tips were anywhere between $7 and $10 USD.  Only buy everything from authorized dealers.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 05:52:23 pm »
It looks like replacement heaters are unavailable
How big of an issue is that in practice, at least for a hobbyist? (I mean, I've been doing electronics as a hobby for nearly 30 years and have never had an iron fail; I only ever replaced them because of moving to a country with a different voltage, or to upgrade to something nicer.)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 07:50:39 pm »
I don't think it would be that big a deal for a hobbyist.  I would think that it would be an issue in a production environment where there may be 2 or 3 shifts everyday and they are on/used constantly.  That's where the heater in cartridge or induction heating comes in handy-fast and easy tip swap out.  I can't picture the FX-600 or FX-888D being used in a production environment.  I was also going to say that at a certain price point, it isn't practical to offer something like that, but the FX-601 is $66 USD on Amazon.   Certainly more expensive than the 936 clones.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old thread but some corrections: the FX-600 is not a clone.  Its a compact version of the extinct 936 with the electronics all in the handset.  The main disadvantage is that there are selectable temp settings rather than full incremental analog, but they are temps you'd use or adjust to if the tolerances go off; beyond those temps and station should be recalibrated.  Its heavier 60g vs 46g for a pencil on a station type soldering iron, so it could be fatiguing in production, but not for repair or hobby assembly as its not as often used; it uses the same tips and heater as the 936 or the 888.

Its available worldwide from Japanese vendors for about $50 making Hakko more reasonably priced than what you'd find locally particularly in some countries, unless you are due custom duties, just beware its the Japanese 100V version.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/i-hate-the-fx-888d-interface-considering-replacing-station/msg1024263/#msg1024263

As of this writing, Adafruit has the lowest cost, $45 before S&H for USA buyers.

Enjoy.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 01:41:57 am »
it uses the same tips and heater as the 936 or the 888.
Tips I can see, but I strongly doubt they use the same heater, as the 936/888 use 24V elements and have a rather large transformer as a result.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 03:05:29 pm »
Amyk you are right.  What I meant to say was Hakko uses the same general technology that made their low end station famous: a temp-stabilized ceramic heater driving the core of a tip; what's special about it is Hakko build quality and materials used in at least the ceramic element and tips.  The electronics, handle materials and accessories like iron stand are all fairly generic you can get anyone's that suitable. If users are looking for a station that was like the 936, the FX600 or even 601 are the 'reimagined' version.  AFAIK the 936 heaters are 24VAC, the 888 is 26VAC and the 600 is 120VAC, plus all have different mounts. 

Given the smaller form, the 600 or 601 are also easier to ship direct from Japan [ or China] to countries where Hakko's have been expensive when bought locally, so now you can buy them for prices similar to say the USA.

I'll teardown the 600 and post waveforms and results when I'm able as I see it has not been done anywhere [ the iron was release in 2015 or older ].

Solder stations in the IPC J-STD-001E standard used to require handsets be low voltage [ for safety] but I think its no longer mentioned, so the 120VAC heater maybe acceptable, should not be an issue if used nonprofessionally; also potentially the higher driving voltage for the heater could shorten its life [ my guess] but at least it heats up faster too.

it uses the same tips and heater as the 936 or the 888.Tips I can see, but I strongly doubt they use the same heater, as the 936/888 use 24V elements and have a rather large transformer as a result.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline simxdx

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 07:15:02 am »
I want to know what's the heating element's heat and sensor resistance values?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf