Author Topic: Hakko FX-8801 issue  (Read 1649 times)

Offline negative_feedbackTopic starter

• Contributor
Hakko FX-8801 issue
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:12 am »
Hi! Please take a look at picture below and tell me does this color looks normal to you. I replaced "old" tip enclosure with No. B3469 original Hakko part and turned it on immediately (380 C).  Right after I could smell burnt material and then I saw this purple color. Usually it should be "rusty" chrome effect as it was on previous and on Dave's. Is this fake part or it is high temperature for the first run?

PS Yes its a spare enclosure, I melt plastic alot!

Edit: better picture
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:31:45 pm by negative_feedback »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko FX-8801 issue
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »
I seem to recall that my old Hakko 936 looked like that.  I believe it to be normal.  Let's see what others think.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
No specific rule I guess as this one got purple on the inside instead. I should've just went for Ersa i-CON Nano to avoid any thoughts about counterfeited parts...

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:01:45 pm »
Wow, what a quality difference between the OEM and clone.  I remember the outside being dark like the inside.  It never had a rust look to it.  Mine was about 7 years old when I sold it and nothing had been replaced, even had the original tips I bought at the time.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »
Looks fine, take it off and clean it with some alcohol if you have to on a clean cloth. Probably got a thin layer of oil or something to help prevent initial rust but you don't want those vapors.

Just crank it up, once the soldering flux fumes etc hits it will start to change color. But original or clone it's only function is to hold the tip in place, as long as it's the correct size.

If you brought the part from a Chinese website or a seller on Ebay or Amazon a lot of them sell fakes. If you did send me a PM with a link if you like and I'll tell you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:27:37 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: KL27x, negative_feedback

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
I bought soldering station and accesories from BatterflyShop in Italy. Its probablly anti-corrosion substance as you said but nevertheless I got used to seeing irons with rust effect and not this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf