Author Topic: Hakko FX-888D @ 220v ; where to buy?  (Read 55276 times)

Offline mikgntl-2013

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hakko FX-888D @ 220v ; where to buy?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 03:00:14 pm »
125€ for 110V FX888 + 4 soldering tips and then you change the transformer.
You can keep asking and searching all around the web, but no one will come with a better option here in Italy.
Other brands aren't worth their price, unless you are disposed to triplicate your budget and get the best on the market (JBC).

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »
NESSUNO MI ASCOLTA!!!!

ITRONIK VENDE LE HAKKO, STA A PADOVA!!!!
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline mikgntl-2013

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 03:39:48 pm »
NESSUNO MI ASCOLTA!!!!

ITRONIK VENDE LE HAKKO, STA A PADOVA!!!!

[IT MODE ON] e là sta bene [IT MODE OFF]
150 EUR for the station without tips + 38 EUR for each tip? NO, THANKS.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
what the hell?

it that the price you get?  :-DD
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46:47 pm »
They're stupid soldering station are BORING and SLOW as hell.
How can a soldering-station be "Boring"?

And as for slow... 15-20 Seconds to 350°C (WSP80) are not slow. The Hakko are a bit faster (~5 sec. I believe), but who cares?
In terms of quality I think the Weller WMD 3 is ahead of the FM206 in nearly all points.

I personally don't like the Hakko-Product-Policy. Here in Germany there is nearly no way to get a Hakko for a reasonable price compared to the US. It seems they don't want to sell, so they don't sell.

In terms of quality... Weller starts at a "higher level" in quality and price. The Weller "consumer"-Products (these red ones) are a bad joke. The same with Ersa, except the very cheap Ersa iCon Pico, many people say it's good, but I've never seen this unit so far.

Hakko produce very good soldering stations, but they are not really the "holy grail" or whatever. Weller, Ersa, Pace, Hakko, JBC... there is no "best" one or clear winner....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:04:32 pm by DL8RI »

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
The only reason I've bought an Hakko product, is that I didn't found a good and affordable desoldering gun/station that has spare parts available on the market and can really provide 600mm/Hg suction like the 808 under 300 €.

For soldering, I use Xytronic, much cheaper but still good.

Offline trisonicTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 07:41:32 pm »
I personally don't like the Hakko-Product-Policy. Here in Germany there is nearly no way to get a Hakko for a reasonable price compared to the US. It seems they don't want to sell, so they don't sell.

I really don't understand this policy... what is the problem with us (Europe)?
Arduino, MODs e DIY: blackstufflabs.com

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:19 pm »
I have no idea. Maybe because Europe is dominated by Weller/Ersa they saw no chance and didn't even try, just a guess.
But actually I don't really care. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, if they don't want to, they don't have to. I'm not running after Hakko to give them my money.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Hakko FX-888D @ 220v ; where to buy?
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:07 pm »
They're stupid soldering station are BORING and SLOW as hell.
How can a soldering-station be "Boring"?

And as for slow... 15-20 Seconds to 350°C (WSP80) are not slow. The Hakko are a bit faster (~5 sec. I believe), but who cares?
In terms of quality I think the Weller WMD 3 is ahead of the FM206 in nearly all points.

In terms of quality... Weller starts at a "higher level" in quality and price. The Weller "consumer"-Products (these red ones) are a bad joke. The same with Ersa, except the very cheap Ersa iCon Pico, many people say it's good, but I've never seen this unit so far.

Hakko produce very good soldering stations, but they are not really the "holy grail" or whatever. Weller, Ersa, Pace, Hakko, JBC... there is no "best" one or clear winner....

Well apart the "boring" is very important that is fast.

Not for the power up, but because the heat element can transfer a lot more heat in the tip in the hakko. The weller station are a lot worst in that, espedially the old ones.

And for me this is very important.

And the best is the jbc....

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
No, it's not. If we compare a station with a >60sek. heating Time, ok.
But 13 sec. against 18 sec. or whatever the numbers are, that's just number-picking.
In practical work, even when soldering shielding cases, I highly doubt you get much different results. In that case the shape of the Tip is much more important (and the user of course :) ).
I never really felt a big difference between my Weller, my Hakko or the Pace-Station I use in the Lab. They all did their job well. They all are high quality (and very expensive) tools.

The weller station are a lot worst in that, espedially the old ones.
Well, yeah, definitely. But why comparing a modern inner-heated station against an old one?
BTW, I just took a really old Weller(*) I have here (the old TCP from the 70s), 34 sec. until the "click" came.
Far from the modern ones, but not to far... and it's 40 Years old, therefore the comparison is rather unfair.

(*)I'm not a Weller-maniac it just happened right now I only have working Weller-Stations right now, my Hakko is still broken.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 06:00:11 am »
For me it's a big difference because i remove a lot of components.

It's big also for the ones in the power supply business and power electronic.

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:02 am »
Well if it's important for you that's hardly to argue. If the blue/yellow case is important for you, one can't say anything against it.

But please stop writing stuff like brand XY is total crap or whatever if you can't get a good reason for it.
I get the feeling you have never used a modern Pace, Weller or whatever and are just doing fanboyism right now.

And BTW, I did a little mistake, I thought the FX888 used the FM-2027 iron like the FM206, but it uses another quite similar to the 936, heat-up-time (out of a youtube-Video) ~25 sec. About 10 sec. slower than a WS81. If it's THAT important for you, throw your Hakko out.

I still say: It's not important :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:11:42 pm by DL8RI »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
And BTW, I did a little mistake, I thought the FX888 used the FM-2027 iron like the FM206, but it uses another quite similar to the 936, heat-up-time (out of a youtube-Video) ~25 sec. About 10 sec. slower than a WS81. If it's THAT important for you, throw your Hakko out.

The '888 is basically a 936 in a different casing with a slightly more powerful transformer.

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
The '888 is basically a 936 in a different casing with a slightly more powerful transformer.
Ah, Ok. I didn't know that, thanks :)

@Topic:

I'd try a Ersa iCon Pico. There should be no problem to get that in Italy. I have not tested this Unit myself!!! but i've heard quite good opinions about it. The mentioned Xytronics-Stations use a (at least optical) rip of of the FX-888-Iron or the Weller WSP-80, can be good, but I'd rather stick to a "original-manufacturer".

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »
Well if it's important for you that's hardly to argue. If the blue/yellow case is important for you, one can't say anything against it.

But please stop writing stuff like brand XY is total crap or whatever if you can't get a good reason for it.
I get the feeling you have never used a modern Pace, Weller or whatever and are just doing fanboyism right now.

Well i've Actually worked in a power electronic company a bit.
The designer love to not do termal relieve pad. I had to take my soldering station because with they're new weller i must use 450c to do a minimal rework. My soldering station was a atten, build as a hakko 888. It was crap, yet way still better than the weller.

I have actually bought 2 hakko for the local makerspace. Work better than the weller i use everyday at school.

Now, what would you say of a brand that sell the same thing for 40year, don't do innovation, and insist in build stupid usb-key soldering station?

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »
Now, what would you say of a brand that sell the same thing for 40year, don't do innovation, and insist in build stupid usb-key soldering station?
That it's wrong for example. You can repeat it 10 Times, it won't become correct and it won't help the initiator of this Thread. The old TCP-Type Stations with the regulation via the curie-effect are still sold, but there are lots of other types.
The WS81 as I mentioned many times in this thread and more modern ones with combined Heater-Tip-Irons (similar to the FM-2027). The WS81 is btw. a direct counterpart to the FX-888/936 with a similar type of technology.

with they're new weller i must use 450c to do a minimal rework.
We have three options: They bought the wrong station for the job (which one?), you used the wrong Tip or you didn't use it the correct way. :-//

And what about the numbers that were so important for you?
A "slow as hell" "crap" Weller turned out to be faster... Now it's not so important anymore?

And to make that clear one more time: The Hakko-Stuff (i know the 936 and the FM-2027) is good. But it's not that superior from other brands even near the way you represent it. And that's the Point: If Hakko is hard to get, buy another quality brand station, won't go wrong.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:49:30 pm by DL8RI »

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
I don't say is superior, i say is the best in that price range.

Offline trisonicTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:07 pm »

really? is that true?
Arduino, MODs e DIY: blackstufflabs.com

Offline robbag

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10:44 am »
There is mektronics here in Australia.
AU$160 ex GST.. I bought mine here.

http://www.mektronics.com.au/hakko-fx888d-digital-soldering-station.html#.UnNhSnkayc1

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:22 am »

really? is that true?
The only other difference is the controller uses an MCU (possibly a hint of their transition to the 888D), but the iron itself hasn't changed design.

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:29 pm »
hello, we understand there is a big difference from Europe and USA HAKKO price. Unfortunaltely there is nothing we can do to support a better price since the HAKKO price list + cost of shipment doesn't allow us to be more competitive.
Our strategy is to have a bigger stock which, over the time, reduce a bit the pricing.
For example, as somebody said before FX888D is Euro 135 + VAT which can sound expensive but at least we offer very cheap soldering tips T18 Euro 5 + VAT
Many new products will come on 2014, we will do our best to provide a good strret price.

We dropped the FX-951 down to Euro 300 + VAT

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:06:14 pm by gmit77 »
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline Minifig666

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 12:01:57 pm »
I'm not entirely familiar with how intentional purchases work, however, I've been doing a fair bit of shopping around trying to find them in the UK.
The Grosvenor Group quoted me a price of £99.50 for the FX-888 (Analogue version, supposedly better!). That's ex-VAT and shipping, however it seems to be cheaper than the prices in mainland Europe.
Might be worth sending them a message and finding out. You'll have to fit your own plug though :P
Edit: Forgot to link them in! http://www.grosvenor-group.com/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:04:13 pm by Minifig666 »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 06:15:03 pm »
Not 220V but if anybody is looking for a good Cyber Monday Hakko deal here is one

http://www.idevmail.net/link.aspx?l=4&d=33&mid=358981&m=887

Offline AllanMN

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »
This review claims the transformer is 110/220v multitap, so a new plug and rewire would seem to do it. All you need is a way to buy the lower priced items available and get it into your hands.

Allan

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »
If it's multitap, why do they sell various transformers for replacement?
The distribution pcb might be common for them, but doesnt look like the transformer is.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf