Author Topic: Hakko FX-888D Buzzing  (Read 5610 times)

Offline gobo207Topic starter

• Contributor
Hakko FX-888D Buzzing
« on: September 25, 2017, 06:01:59 am »
Hi All,

I finally purchased a Hakko FX888D after having my old Dick Smith temp controlled soldering station for the last 12 years. Turns out you can't get tips for them anymore...

So after being very excited to have a flash new soldering iron I've found the thing buzzes much louder then any other transformer device I have in the room. It's quite noticeable and only appears to happen once the main body has heated up. The noise can come and go, usually buzzes for about 10 minutes (only when the heating element is on) and then goes quite for about another 10 minutes and starts again.

Has anyone else has any issues? Or is this just normal?

Regards,
GoBO

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Hakko FX-888D Buzzing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:20:21 am »
Mine buzzes occasionally. This is annoying, but in my case turning it off, letting it cool just a bit (a few seconds), and turning it back on, solves the problem. And it does it very rarely, may be once every 20 power cycles.
Alex

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:00:28 am »
I watched a few clips while I was researching what station to buy. One guy had a buzzing sound. It turned out the screws to secure the transformer had became slightly loose. Granted it was a cheap model but it maybe worth a look?

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:04:03 am »
My FX888 (no D) just makes a slight humming noise when the heating element is switched on.

Maybe you could try operating it with the cover removed and see if you can tell where the buzzing is coming from? (Beware of live internal parts of course.)

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:22 am »
I am down to 3 of them. I handed one of them down. One of them buzzes, rarely. If the others make any kind of noise, at all, my ears are not that good. Maybe you could lacquer the transformer windings with an appropriate stuff.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:10 am »
I've tried to tighten the screws on the transformer and no change. The thing is quite loud, if you're next to it for a while it'll start to give you a headache....

It's definitely the transformer. I contacted the ebay seller for a refund, and he want's it back in original condition! I've obviously used it once before the noise came on, and I've also thrown out the packaging.

Also, it definitely isn't a fake.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:39:08 am »
Uploaded a video, strangely, the noise actually decreases when it's heating.

The mic doesn't pick it up that well, it's much louder then it sounds. Fluke 87 clicks for comparison.

https://youtu.be/rn-cvDvFYns

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:53 am »
Yeah, that's the noise I have as well. Mine is remedied easy enough, so I don't worry about it.
Alex

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:42:23 am »
To make a buzzing noise, something has to be loose. What I would do is run it with the cover off until I hear the buzzing, then gently prod different parts with a plastic pen to see if I can identify what is rattling. For instance, is it the circuit board on top of the transformer? When you find it, you could try to secure it with some silastic, silicone or hot glue.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 07:44:23 am »
Uploaded a video, strangely, the noise actually decreases when it's heating.

OK, that's definitely something loose and rattling. It's not normal transformer hum.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:45:13 am »
I feel like it is a classic transformer noise. Metal packets are loose and the only way to fix it is to lacquer it. But if it was lacquered, but poorly, then it may be hard to do that.

Especially given that the noise changes with load on the transformer.
Alex

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:59 am »
Open it up again turn it on and look for vibrations?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »
If you brought it on Ebay also check it's not a fake as well. Amazon, Ebay and Chinese websites are all known sources of fakes for this station.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 09:59:07 pm »
I've had it apart while it's been buzzing, it's definitely coming from the transformer. Also, as I said in post 5, it's NOT fake, I'm sure of that.

If I was to resin the transformer, what would I use?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:21:22 pm »
I retract my lacquering suggestion. Google shows I have no clue.

Apparently, the winding that may be vibrating could be internal/deep, so lacquering the top might not do anything. Also, the solvents in the lacquer might dissolve the insulation on the wires, lol. Shims are apparently the thing to do. Small bits of mylar or whatever you can wedge between windings without damaging it. Probing with a stick to find the right spot might help? Careful with mains, of course. Seems to me that tightly wrapping over top the windings with plastic wrap or even just STRING might get some pressure into the right spot, too? Maybe with a small bit of something underneath to get more pressure on the actual windings, not on the core/laminations.

Also, if the filter cap is bad, it could be increasing the problem. Replacing the can might be worth a shot.

Might be worth a shot to see if the seller will view your video. And see if you can do an EXCHANGE, if you BUY a second station and return the first one in the new packaging? The seller doesn't risk losing a sale and/or getting a product he can't resell. And you get a second chance, at least, lol.  (Maybe if you sent the same station to someone in another part of the grid, the thing would be dead silent?)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:26:15 pm by KL27x »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 10:27:13 pm »
It is not easy (read practically impossible) to do that properly without special equipment. You will need a vacuum charmer if you want to get anywhere.

If the source of the noise is the core of the transformer, then you can disassemble it (partially), and apply lacquer between the lose plates, then stuff the remaining plates in place. This will stop metal from vibrating.

It is harder for windings.  basically you would want to dip the whole transformer into reasonably thin lacquer.

I know people used to do this when making your own transformers was a thing. I have no practical experience, so I can't recommend specific chemicals. But you need to have something high-temperature, so your two-part epoxy is out of the question.

I would only attempt to do this as a last ditch attempt, being fully prepared to throw away the thing in case of failure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:29:10 pm by ataradov »
Alex

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:45 pm »
This is strange. I have played with countless mains transformers of many different shapes and sizes since my childhood, and I have never come across one that buzzed or rattled. All have been totally quiet. I mean, how could they make any noise? The laminates of the core have been stuck together so tightly that it needed a knife to prize them apart. And the windings have been so thoroughly impregnated that unwinding them has required some effort to free the wires.

So what is the world coming to? Have people forgotten how to make transformers? Are they getting built cheaply down to a price just like everything else?

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 07:25:55 am »
What about turning in on with the Iron unplugged. Not sure what this would show but it may help others pinpoint the problem. IF it doesnt buzz?

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:48 am »
Have a read through this thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/problem-with-hakko-tips/

I just noticed that this was posted by ataradov who has commented on this thread

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 07:36:53 am »
What it has to do with this thread?

I still use Aoyue tips, since they are much better, IMO. But I'm quite happy with the base station. Apart from moronic UI, of course.
Alex

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 08:26:17 am »
Just thought if could be something the OP could look into?

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 10:05:23 am »
Partial core saturation caused by DC on the mains, or a highly non-sinusoidal waveform? If you have non-unity-PF loads on the same circuit it can cause that. The sound reminds me of what squarewave inverters will do to transformers.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:31 am »
That's something I didn't think of... maybe I'll take it into work and see how it is there.

Another interesting point, once the transformer gets to it's final temperature, the noise goes away. This usually takes about an hour or two.

I'm currently pursuing an exchange with the ebay seller, they've sent the video to the supplier for review. So far the supplier has asked me to check for loose screws and wires. Looks like they're actually interested in what happened.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:47 am »
Hi everyone,

Bit of an update, after talking with the seller, sending them the video, the seller sending the video to their supplier, the supplier analysing the video and taking to the seller.... bla bla bla... Somehow they came to the conclusion that it was just normal transformer noise. So rather then try fix it and void any chance at a warranty return, I just bought another one off them and will use that box to return the "faulty" one.

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.

Here's a video of the "normal transformer noise" next to another exact unit with actual normal transformer noise. Enjoy.

GoBO

https://youtu.be/MflP_s8Fhmo

Offline mySystemEngineer

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
I've ordered one of these stations from a UK seller. It haven't arrived yet, but what are the chances that mine will start buzzing?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »
I've ordered one of these stations from a UK seller. It haven't arrived yet, but what are the chances that mine will start buzzing?

If you brought from the same seller as he did just after he returned it I would say likely. But if not very little chance. :)
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline mySystemEngineer

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »
 :)
Now that I've found out the problem I don't care - turns out that the heating element failed, I replaced it and my old iron is good as new...

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:26 am »
Going off a sample size of two, there's a 50% chance your's will buzz. But hopefully you realise that means absolutely jack.

Offline mySystemEngineer

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:19 pm »
I got it this week, meantime it's silent. I hope it'll stay that way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf