Author Topic: Hakko FX-951 Review  (Read 5005 times)

Offline jwrtigerTopic starter

• Contributor
Hakko FX-951 Review
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:24 pm »
Here is a video I just did on the Hakko FX-951 soldering station.  Hope it is helpful for those considering this soldering station.
https://youtu.be/YYZs_pewRd4

John
John

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko FX-951 Review
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:15:43 am »
Excellent video.  Much better than my poor attempt at a review.  I just used text for mine as I didn't want to subject anyone to my accent-Jersey boy with Brooklyn accent  :(.  I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

For anyone thinking of getting one, get it through TEquipment.net.  They offer an EEVBlog discount and I bought the station, 5 tips and 4 holders plus an extra brass curls for about $287 USD.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:19:06 pm »
GreyWoolfe, glad you liked the video and I agree I bought mine through TEquipment.net with the EEVBlog discount.

John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:47:51 pm by jwrtiger »
John

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »
Definitely well done.  :-+

The only additions I'd request would be a demonstration of shifting through the presets (i.e. likely most used feature that requires buttons to be pressed), and added the UI as a con. :o  But that last bit may just be me.  >:D  :-DD

Should help a lot of people understand how good this station is, especially in terms of the value it offers vs. the competition.  ;) Common profile T15 series tips are inexpensive as well, particularly for cartridge tips.  :-+ Do note that the T30 series tips for the FM-2032 only offer 6 shapes thus far, and run ~$36 - 40 each (FM-2032 Kit only runs ~$174).  :-\

To put things in to perspective cost wise, a JBC CD-1BE runs ~ $460 from Janel (compact station, not separates; you can add a T210 iron though seems the connectors on the compact stations may be different, unlike the separate systems - warrants further investigation), and Weller being ~$400 for a WD1002 + WDH10T from TEquipment* (the WDH10T is required to add full sleep functionality <adds a micro switch>). Weller does give you a single 2.4mm, and JBC includes two; a 2.4mm chisel and a 1.2mm long conical. So at least either of these will work OTB.  :P

FWIW, the Weller has the most tools that will work with it (3 irons, hot tweezers, a hot plate, and a solder pot), including a micro iron (WP65). It will work in the WDH10T stand, so you'd only need the iron + tips; the WSP80 or WP80 will also work in the WDH20T stand, which is cheaper right now by ~$22). Puts it at $374.16 before the discount (~$352 shipped w/ discount), so still more expensive than the FX-951.

For disclosure, I do own a WD1, WDH20T switched stand, WSP80 iron, and a WMP iron (discontinued micro iron). It works extremely well, particularly for using simple plated tips, but it's not the value the Hakko is (bought it before the FX-951 was even announced, & cartridge tips from JBC & Weller were horrendous in price at that time). The LT series tips from Bosnia have had a high QC defect rate at ~30%; those from the US, Germany, or Japan have been fine (there are also 3rd party tips available; i.e. Plato). The UI is much nicer to use than the Hakko though (extremely intuitive).

Not worth an extra ~$100 intuitive though, hence the request to show how to use the presets on the FX951.  ;)

BTW, none of these 3 stations stack, so they all fall short on this feature for those that need it.

* Before applying the EEVBlog discount. Applying the discount will shave it down to $372.55 w/ free shipping.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:55:45 am by nanofrog »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 12:43:36 am »
Nanofrog.... Wow thanks for the great information I only have a few inexpensive soldering irons to compare to the Hakko FX-951.  I really appreciate the feedback and that you also like the video. I really enjoy making videos and I am very happy when others appreciate them. 

John
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:55:05 am by jwrtiger »
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf