Author Topic: Hakko FX-951 Review  (Read 29206 times)

Online GreyWoolfeTopic starter

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko FX-951 Review
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »
I may have been a horse trader in another life, who knows? :-DD  My thing is that disposable income has never been in excess so I always want to make smart choices on how I spend it.  If there is no dire need, I research things to death and then go on the hunt for the best pricing.  I don't want to be an 'instant gratification' buyer.  I have done it a couple of times and ended up regretting the decision.  What I don't understand, and it may be because I am old school, is why people don't simply do some research instead of the "ready, fire, aim'.  There are so many soldering iron threads on the forum, maybe Dave needs to start another catagory |O.  No one seems to go back and read them, so it's new threads with the same questions, the same sage advice, the same purchase of fakes or clones and the same moaning and groaning down the road of the purchase of the fakes or clones and the purchase of something better that should have been done in the first place.  It's like a soldering iron Mobius Loop. no beginning or ending. |O  On my last job, some of us had a saying about some of the contract technicians, there was never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over.

Anyway, I was happy to find a NOS RM3E for $72 shipped.  I just listed a modified Astron 35A power supply on my ham club website to pay for it and get a proper auto sleep cradle.  In the meantime, I found a cheap metal coil stand for a firestick in a box that will serve to hold the wand for now.  I might do a limited comparison review of the MX-500 and the 951 to see if there are really major differences that would justify the price difference for a hobbyist or a "1 man band" looking for a quality tool that won't be in a multi shift production environment which is where the Metcal really shines.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »
My thing is that disposable income has never been in excess so I always want to make smart choices on how I spend it.  If there is no dire need, I research things to death and then go on the hunt for the best pricing.
Makes perfect sense to me (money = way more effort to earn than spend  |O).  :-+

Anyway, I was happy to find a NOS RM3E for $72 shipped.  I just listed a modified Astron 35A power supply on my ham club website to pay for it and get a proper auto sleep cradle.  In the meantime, I found a cheap metal coil stand for a firestick in a box that will serve to hold the wand for now.  I might do a limited comparison review of the MX-500 and the 951 to see if there are really major differences that would justify the price difference for a hobbyist or a "1 man band" looking for a quality tool that won't be in a multi shift production environment which is where the Metcal really shines.
Sounds good.  8)

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »
I received the MX RM3E wand and STTC-042 tip yesterday.  All I did was plug it up and make sure the wand and tip were good.  Even though the wand was listed as NOS, I wanted to be sure.  When I opened the package, it really was NOS.  Plugged into the first port, powered the MX-500P up and the tip came quickly up to temp.  I will see if I can find time to do a little comparison between the Metcal and the Hakko.  Should be interesting.  Nothing super in depth but some real world things like soldering  16 ga wire to a 4" copper pcb with equivalent sized tips and things like that >:D  That will be in another thread.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 09:44:17 pm »
I've got a Hakko 951 and a Weller WSD80 with a WSP80, I prefer the Hakko. But the controls are easier on the Weller. The beep is annoying on the Hakko, so I changed the sleep time. That works better for me. The trouble is finding genuine tips for the Hakko in the UK. I can get weller tips easily.

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 02:08:18 am »
I've got a Hakko 951 and a Weller WSD80 with a WSP80, I prefer the Hakko. But the controls are easier on the Weller. The beep is annoying on the Hakko, so I changed the sleep time. That works better for me. The trouble is finding genuine tips for the Hakko in the UK. I can get weller tips easily.

Do what I did, open it up and put a piece of electrical tape over the piezo buzzer.  It mutes it quite a bit, but I can still hear it.  Then you can put your sleep time back to immediate.  That's how I have set mine.  It gets back up to temp fast enough that I like the immediate sleep.  The controls don't really bother me as I basically leave it on 1 temp-600F.  It has soldered everything so far including adding a 5W bleeder resistor to a couple of good sized pours-almost an inch square- for the smoothing cap in an Astron 35A power supply.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:11 am »
Yeah I might just do that, good tip!

I know those Astron Linear, HUGE cap to solder and sometimes they get snapped off!
The sleep is good as it doesn't power off the iron it puts it at a lower temp so it ramps up to speed quickly. This iron does not seem to be bothered by anything, from SMD up to big stuff it just works.

Have you got the 599B tip cleaner with yours, I think it's brilliant  :-+

Do what I did, open it up and put a piece of electrical tape over the piezo buzzer.  It mutes it quite a bit, but I can still hear it.  Then you can put your sleep time back to immediate.  That's how I have set mine.  It gets back up to temp fast enough that I like the immediate sleep.  The controls don't really bother me as I basically leave it on 1 temp-600F.  It has soldered everything so far including adding a 5W bleeder resistor to a couple of good sized pours-almost an inch square- for the smoothing cap in an Astron 35A power supply.

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 11:28:47 am »
Mine came with the 599B and no sponge.  I don't know why I didn't go to brass curls sooner.  It does a much better job of cleaning without the thermal shock that the sponge gives.  When I ordered my 951, I ordered an extra so I would have it on hand.  I noticed that the Thermaltronics auto sleep cradle that I will be getting for my Metcal MX 500 also has the brass curls.  No more water bottle on the workbench.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 11:34:04 am »
I always used a sponge and water, then I got this and I am a convert, no more dried up sponge, having to get water or accidentally pouring IPA instead  :palm:

These copper curls seem to rinse out well in the sink too  :-+

Mine came with the 599B and no sponge.  I don't know why I didn't go to brass curls sooner.  It does a much better job of cleaning without the thermal shock that the sponge gives.  When I ordered my 951, I ordered an extra so I would have it on hand.  I noticed that the Thermaltronics auto sleep cradle that I will be getting for my Metcal MX 500 also has the brass curls.  No more water bottle on the workbench.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 02:17:58 pm »
These copper curls seem to rinse out well in the sink too  :-+
How is that affecting performance?

I ask, as I'm wondering if it's rinsing the dried flux off in the process, which could affect how fast you have to replace them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:19:47 pm by nanofrog »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 06:45:30 am »
My FX-951 arrived today. Quick shipment from Zoro after taking advantage of their sale - $184 yeah!

It's an awesome iron!

After reading about the loud alarm, I was all set to put tape over the buzzer as others have when I found out that it can be turned off.  Apparently Hakko listened to their customers and updated the firmware. The manual - actually the piece of paper - included with the iron, did not have complete directions for changing all settings but a more complete manual is available on their website.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:53:11 am by mtdoc »

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »
Thanks for posting that.  Now it is time to check the website out to see if the firmware on mine can be updated.

Edited:  should have checked the website |O  I have the current firmware and the buzzer is now turned off.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:21:32 pm by GreyWoolfe »

Offline staze

• Frequent Contributor
  • I _might_ have a problem...
    • Everybody Staze...
“Give a man an answer, he’ll keep his job for a day. Teach a man to Google, and he’ll be employed for a lifetime”

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 05:59:00 am »
Have had the FX-951 for a while now and like it -- my first actual soldering station after years/decades of pencil irons.  I like the accurate temp control, the sleep function when you put it into the cradle, the quick change tips and the reasonably quick return to setpoint when you pick it back up.  My kit includes the following tips: T15-D52, T15-DL4, T15-D32 and T15-D24.  The D24 is my most used tip but sometimes when you need to solder something heavier I'll use one of the other tips.  I'm not sure I'll need a smaller one than the D24 but I haven't done any SMD yet and that might drive a smaller tip.  What tips do the folks soldering SMD use?

Recently added an 858D clone hot gun but haven't used it that much yet.  My 858D clone is from Kohree and is the "Kohree 110V LED Digital 858D SMD Hot Air Rework Station Solder Blower Heat Gun."  Interestingly the front of the unit says "W.E.P 858D" so not sure what the difference is between Kohree and W.E.P.

Brian

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:29 am »
I'm not sure I'll need a smaller one than the D24 but I haven't done any SMD yet and that might drive a smaller tip.  What tips do the folks soldering SMD use?
It'll depend on the package sizes you're doing, but for stuff that can be done without a microscope, you'll find a 1.6mm is most useful IME (i.e. 0603 & 0805). And a dedicated drag soldering tip or hoof/bevel for IC's. A fine point bent conical is useful as well (i.e. tacking down corners on IC's or pulling out bridges).

Hakko's Tip Selection Page might be of interest.  ;)

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 01:08:16 am »
I'm not sure I'll need a smaller one than the D24 but I haven't done any SMD yet and that might drive a smaller tip.  What tips do the folks soldering SMD use?
It'll depend on the package sizes you're doing, but for stuff that can be done without a microscope, you'll find a 1.6mm is most useful IME (i.e. 0603 & 0805). And a dedicated drag soldering tip or hoof/bevel for IC's. A fine point bent conical is useful as well (i.e. tacking down corners on IC's or pulling out bridges).

Hakko's Tip Selection Page might be of interest.  ;)

Yeah I figured a drag tip would be useful for SMD work and a bit smaller chisel such as the 1.6 is probably a good idea to.  Hadn't thought about a conical for cutting bridges -- sound like a good idea...

I've been to the Hakko webpage to research tips when I ordered a while back...

Brian

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »
Yeah I figured a drag tip would be useful for SMD work and a bit smaller chisel such as the 1.6 is probably a good idea to.  Hadn't thought about a conical for cutting bridges -- sound like a good idea...
FWIW, the dedicated drag tip is a bit easier to use than a hoof/bevel (i.e. tinned face only version) for drag soldering, but the difference isn't drastic at all. And you also pay for it, as the more specialized the shape, the more it costs (~$20 for the drag tip).

The bevel has a couple of advantages; it's cheaper, and can be used for other things as well (they're very nice to have IME). I've both shapes (even in a couple of sizes for each shape), and won't give 'em up either.  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf