Author Topic: Handheld calculator that for binary/hex/logic  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Handheld calculator that for binary/hex/logic
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:42 am »
Is there any INEXPENSIVE calculators out there that do binary, hex, and bit logic  well as the usual stuff you get in a scientific calc? I basically want the computer science calculator that comes with Windows 10, but in hardware form. I use that one constantly, but desire the convenience of an actual handheld.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Handheld calculator that for binary/hex/logic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:55:56 am »
Define inexpensive. I've got a bunch of Sharp EL501XBWH in various places, they are cheap enough and work and feel good enough for my taste.
Alex

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:33:31 am »
That would do allot of what I want, and it's definately  in the price range I like.  What it lacks that the Windows app has is bitwise logic functions. Sometimes when I'm trouble shooting, it's nice to have that to make sure what I think an operation should be doing is right.

A large enough screen such that both operands, and the result can be seen at the same time would be nice too.

I think $50 is as much as I'd want to pay for such a thing, roughly.

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:45 am »
The Casio fx-115MS will do all the usual bitwise operations. Its interface for them is OK but not fantastic... but hey, it's $12 or something similarly ridiculous.

There may be other more suitable/newer/cheaper models out there, but that's the one on my desk right now and it will get the job done.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:56:04 am »
If you have an Android phone, you can search for a "programmers calculator" in the Application Store. There are a few HP calculator emulators like HP 16C, too.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »
I use RealCalc (Plus) on Android. I like it a lot.

For a physical calculator, TI's top end scientific (non graphing) calculator has what you need.

TI-36X Pro, $19 on Amazon. Even has hex letter keys :-)
(note: the similarly priced Casio fx-115ES PLUS also does it - in case you are more of a Casio guy).

https://smile.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-Engineering-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B004NBZB2Y/

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:48:48 pm by LaurentR »

The following users thanked this post: Avacee

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:55:09 pm »
BTW, fun fact about the Windows calculator which tricked me a couple of times: in the default "Standard" mode, it doesn't do proper operator precedence, it does fully left to right instead! (i.e. 1+0*100 =100)  :scared:

You have to put it in "Scientific" mode to get proper operator precedence. Fortunately, it's a sticky setting, so you won't get back to the crazy default mode unless you choose to.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:59:29 am »
The cheapest calculator is inside your skull, and also the fastest once you get enough practice with it. ;)

BTW, fun fact about the Windows calculator which tricked me a couple of times: in the default "Standard" mode, it doesn't do proper operator precedence, it does fully left to right instead! (i.e. 1+0*100 =100)  :scared:

You have to put it in "Scientific" mode to get proper operator precedence. Fortunately, it's a sticky setting, so you won't get back to the crazy default mode unless you choose to.
I don't think any calculator which doesn't show the expression being entered should try to do things with precedence, as it gets confusing otherwise. A standard calculator should be used more like an accumulator machine.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
Wouldn't the HP 16C be the ideal calculator?

Available here as a clone: https://www.swissmicros.com/

Unfortunatly a little expensive...

Regards,
Vitor

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:17 pm »
AFAIK Casio has (or had) some calculators like that. I have a Casio fx-115MS which is an older model you can still find new on Ebay like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FX115-MS-PLUS-SR-CASIO-Scientific-Calculator-with-300-Built-In-Functions-/361045645796
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:02:29 am »
The Casio fx-115MS will do all the usual bitwise operations. Its interface for them is OK but not fantastic... but hey, it's $12 or something similarly ridiculous.
Works for me.

The cheapest calculator is inside your skull, and also the fastest once you get enough practice with it. ;)
Well, maybe I started too late in life. Took me better part of 10 years working with hex and binary before this could be said.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 06:27:59 am »
I like the powerone calculator in my iphone, I've got for $5 or something. it does all sort of calcs included hex and binary.
you can also get a hp 16c emulated on the phone that's nice (and about the same price)

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 06:44:41 am »

It's not very accurate or reliable and it doesn't do logarithms or trigonometric functions. Plus the solver is a bit wonky on mine.

Offline douglaszxc

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:28:49 am »
Here's a free emulator to run on your PC.
http://www.wrpn.emmet-gray.com/Downloads.html
I have tried it ( the java version on linux ) seems rather nice. Looks just like an HP16C. Very well done, good documentation too.
 There are various versions for Windows and Mac/Linux (in java) and an Android version, too.  The source is available in C# so it perhaps could be ported to run under mono on Linux.
Download it and give it a try.

If you want a "real" one to hold in your hand, a group has made a small reproduction one herehttps://www.swissmicros.com/#DM16 / DM16L as well as reproductions of some other classic HP calculators.

Offline todd_fuller

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »
Used HP-48G calculators can be had for very reasonable prices on eBay. Perhaps the pinnacle of HP calculators?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf