Author Topic: Hantek 4-channel MSOs - just as hackable as the DSO5000 series?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline aandrewTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hantek 4-channel MSOs - just as hackable as the DSO5000 series?
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:21 am »
I'm looking for a new entry level scope; 50MHz just won't cut it, and while I can make do with 2ch, 4ch would definitely help. I've developed many embedded Linux systems and the hackability of the firmware is a somewhat important deal for me as well.

I've read a ton here about the Rigols and the Hanteks and the Owons and the Siglents, and it seems to me that the Hantek seems to be doing a pretty damned fine job, with the exception of deep memory capture/manipulation. If I can hack on the firmware I might even be able to bring something like serial data triggering to the Hantek, which is probably the single biggest feature I'd be looking at Rigol for.

Here's the thing ... everything talking about customizing firmware and hacking the scopes talks about the Hantek DSO5000 series and never seems to mention 4 channels nor the MSO5000 series. I see lots of information suggesting that the MSO5000 series is literally the DSO5000 series with an additional digital capture board installed, but I've yet to come across a post or something on Google stating "yes I have managed to enable 200MHz bandwidth on a 4ch Hantek scope and here's how I did it" kind of thing. Ditto for firmware for the 4ch or MSO series.

Does anyone know if the MSO5054FG (50MHz) or MSO5074FG (70MHz) scopes can be hacked for 200MHz analog bandwidth, and if their firmware is just as hackable as the DSO5062/5072/5102?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek 4-channel MSOs - just as hackable as the DSO5000 series?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 09:40:45 am »
I see lots of information suggesting that the MSO5000 series is literally the DSO5000 series with an additional digital capture board installed, but I've yet to come across a post or something on Google stating "yes I have managed to enable 200MHz bandwidth on a 4ch Hantek scope and here's how I did it" kind of thing. Ditto for firmware for the 4ch or MSO series.

Does anyone know if the MSO5054FG (50MHz) or MSO5074FG (70MHz) scopes can be hacked for 200MHz analog bandwidth, and if their firmware is just as hackable as the DSO5062/5072/5102?
The information is correct. MSO is same as DSO with an additional capture board. The hack is the same for the MSO5000 as it is for the DSO5000.

But...
I've read a ton here about the Rigols and the Hanteks and the Owons and the Siglents, and it seems to me that the Hantek seems to be doing a pretty damned fine job, with the exception of deep memory capture/manipulation.
This statement makes me doubt you were fully paying attention when reading about the Hanteks. They are pretty universally considered pure crap on this forum for good reason. I bought an MSO5000 a while back, had it hacked within 20 - 30 minutes of receiving it. But Hantek's firmware is awful and they seem to be incapable or uncaring enough to fix it. The scope consistently locked up where the only thing that would fix it was a full reboot. This would happen sometimes multiple times per hour. I ended up returning the Hantek and would strongly recommend you avoid them at all costs. Even if I had a chance to buy one for $50 I wouldn't waste my money.

Offline aandrewTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:45 am »
I'm late to reply, but I am grateful for your response.

I did end up getting the MSO5074FG; I haven't had it lock up on me once, but I do notice its other warts. I have been paying attention (particularly in the couple of Hantek megathreads). Definitely is a scope that needs a new UI application, sadly.

I ended up going with it because of the enormous traffic around it. I wasn't able to get the same feel for others using the other scopes mentioned. It seems a good stopgap scope though, which is what I'd bought it for.

Thank you again for your reply!

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »
As long as it works for you thats all that matters. Hopefully it serves you well until you are ready for something else.

Edit: Any luck with the hack?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf