Author Topic: Head Torch  (Read 2919 times)

Offline ralphrmartinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
Head Torch
« on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:57 pm »
I'm looking for a good head torch. Some of the ones on the usual auction site etc claim implausible numbers of lumens, or wattages which would burn through a battery in moments.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, well-built one from personal experience using say a couple of 18650 cells as the power source (I already have a charger)? I don't need lots of fancy modes, at most bright - dim - off. The ability to focus to a spotlight or give a wide beam would be useful.

Thanks.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Re: Head Torch
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:53 pm »
How much run-time do you want?  How bright?

I have had quite a few from http://www.myfenix.co.uk/ but there are probably cheaper places..

My around the garden/down a small cave head torch is HP15

For night orienteering I have https://www.brightbikelights.com/brightbikelights-orienteering-light-set although this is a few years old by now so probably superseded. (I bought mine straight off ebay but it is the same thing).

Hope that helped.

PS
One niggle with some lights is they cut off at quite a high voltage so don't manage to extract all the charge from NiMH batteries... check a review before buying.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »
I've got one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BORUiT-Rechargeable-Headlamp-Zoomable-Headlight/dp/B06XKR8G68/

It cycles bright, dim and strobe (annoying!). Powered by two parallel 18650s. Seems well manufactured and rugged, the batteries at the back counterbalance the head nicely. The back unit has the batteries under a flexible rubber lid (against your skull) and a dim red tail light that doesn't intrude.

Very bright and focusable BUT Ditch the mains charger on sight (I don't trust the insulation!) and the car charger (poor regulation/no cuttoff, can't remember now). The USB charging lead is fine though and the cells easy to remove for external charging.

P.S. The head gets noticeably hot with extended use at high power.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:43:14 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 05:34:28 pm »
A general comment. Many of them use three AAA cells. Almost without exception these are just relying on the internal resistance of the cells to limit the current and have no regulation. To ensure proper regulation I look for lights that use two AA cells, or perhaps lithium ion.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
I'm looking for a good head torch.
A what?

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, blueskull, tooki

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 12:09:33 am »
I did used Petzl for the last 25 years. NO COMPLAINTS!. Petzl it's a brand with a huge trajectory in mountain climbing gear and cave or industrial prospection.  I bought recently some of models with his Core system. A rechargeable LiIon pack with the form factor of three AAA and with integrated charger from any USB. If you can't charge it, simply put three alkaline batteries. They has the lumen and battery life that they claim without surprises. www.petzl.com

I you have a BEAST and can afford it (profesional range) https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Professional/High-performance-headlamps/DUO-S
I use the Tikka everyday and it's perfect for all task at home or work, ActiK it's by far more powerfull and still pricey  compared price/quality. Both are standard products for sport and "low cost".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:18:39 am by Tarloth »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:36 pm »
Thanks guys. I want one smaller than a secondhand skull.  :-DD

And as mentioned, I want an 18650 (Li-ion) one, not an AA cell (or NiMH) one - I already have a good charger and the batteries. I guess I didn't make clear I want one which takes standard batteries so I can replace them if / when they die.

The Fenix and BrightBikeLights ones are very pricey, and with Petzl you again seem to be paying a premium for the name.

The Boruit seems to be a better compromise between price and performance, although with Amazon you have to buy the chargers along with the headtorch.  In the end I have ordered a BORUiT RJ-2157 from the Boruit store on Alixepress, for under a tenner.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:09 pm »
and with Petzl you again seem to be paying a premium for the name.

In my experience in instrumental and equipment always big brand are pricey not for the name but they quality. Even more, I found always that have the best quality/price ratio. In clothes it's ok that you only pay for the label print big iand you can buy something 5x cheaper and same quality but in equipment I doubt it.

I bought my first Petzl in year 94 and used it all year roiund until 2010 in mountain and for work. I still have it and works ok, only that I never use it because it has halogen bulb. In those years I did buyed all fancy head torch (I love them) offered in Home Depot as "profesional" or even in unting sports shops. None of them never last more than a year or two.

If you can afford it, It's cheapest buy one great quality torch and use it fo years that buy several mid quality torchs.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »
In my experience in instrumental and equipment always big brand are pricey not for the name but they quality. Even more, I found always that have the best quality/price ratio.

Sometimes this is true, but not always. I've bought multiple Apple laptops which have had failed batteries and failed GPUs, a Google phone with a failed battery, etc, and worse still awful repair policies (have to physically take the device into a store 3 hours away, but where they cannot guarantee to have the spare in stock even if you make an appointment). Equally, I've bought cheap stuff off Aliexpress which works just fine.

Indeed, a common business model these days seems to be to buy a brand well known for quality, and then start selling cheap crap, er, I mean stuff made to a price point, under that brand name, hoping it will be quite a time before the brand magic wears off and the public finally realise what's going on. I'd better not name any brands here for fear of getting sued, but it's not too hard to figure out some famous US and UK brands where this is happening. Some brand names are even revived (Polaroid? Kodak?) as they have value in that the public have heard of them, and are more likely to buy products with those names than those with unrecognised names.

Offline PhysicsDude55

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 03:07:17 am »
I have this model of NITECORE headlamp and its fantastic.  This is their compact version, but its more than enough power for anything I do.  Battery lasts 4 hours on medium brightness, recharges with a micro-usb.  Its so small and light, the headband weighs more than the light..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitecore-9004720-NU20-B-Headlamp-Black/dp/B01N4G79H1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540263957&sr=8-1&keywords=nitecore+NU20

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:14:41 am »
Man head torches are annoying because you get so many bugs in your face where I am.

I always wondered if one of those acetylene head lamps is better at repelling insects, especially since it burns pretty dirty.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 03:28:18 pm »
Acetylene head (caving) lamp = Naked flame = No bugs!  :)

Best Regards, Chris

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »
Petzel used to make a modern one with a hip tank. I figure naked flame with traces of arsinine and other toxic might keep the bugs away. Would be great near rivers and swamps if it worked..

I swear too that white led attracts more insects then incandescent

If you wear a headlamp at night near slow or unmoving  water you pretty much need goggles
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:36:59 pm by coppercone2 »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 05:09:20 pm »
I have this model of NITECORE headlamp and its fantastic.

My 18650 charger is a Nitecore, and works well. I didn't think to look at their head torches. However, they seem rather pricey.

Offline donkey77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 07:26:35 am »
I would have a look at led lensor if they're available where you are. I have the hand torch version of the H7R.2 and the flood light pattern is fantastic, so even coverage. I don't think it uses the same cells as you have but they are charged in place and can be replaced. Battery life is good, especially on a lower lux level.
https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/products/head-torches/h-series/h7r2/

Offline Crazy_Pete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 10:58:13 am »
Something quite a bit cheaper that i use exclusively.   (I liked the first one so much i bought 3 more and keep them stashed around the house in case of emergency.)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MK6DX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It uses one of the monolithic CREE LEDS.  (No shadows or ghost glare from multi point light sources.)   The Lamp/Torch portion has a stable base so you can set it on a flat surface and use it as table light SVP.

Thanks
Crazy Pete
Your enemies pray for a shovel but your own tongue will dig your grave... (Traveller Proverb)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 06:16:59 pm »
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a BORUIT as mentioned above:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1-pcs-wholesale-black-2000LM-led-headlamp-Cree-XMLT6-rechargeable-zoomable-led-Headlight-USB-POWER-BANK/1091355_2031110117.html
and it has now arrived.

It's got 3 brightness levels as well as couple of flashing modes, and runs off a pair of 18650 batteries. You can also make the beam wider or narrower.

For under £10 (I didnt need the charger or batteries), I am very well satisfied. It works well.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:22:23 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 06:55:11 pm »
In case you want to play, Big Clive did a teardown (the 3 mode model). The controller is in the battery enclosure, not in the LED housing as you might expect...

https://youtu.be/yn1wk6GbvRA

Also, if you've bought the newer 5 mode model, you might try holding the button down and seeing if it turns off. Some of the recent controller ICs resume in the same mode if turned off by a long press, worth a try.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf