Author Topic: Help evaluate my eBay swag/score? (Hakko 928)  (Read 2903 times)

Offline StormchaserTopic starter

Help evaluate my eBay swag/score? (Hakko 928)
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »
Hello everyone, long time lurker, but now I'm all legal and registered!  ;)  I was hoping for a bit of help evaluating what I think was a great deal I snagged off eBay. I'll keep the price a secret for now and see what people think it is worth.

So this was listed as a "936 HAKO Soldering Station with 900 and a 950 24v-50w Soldering Iron with base." I'd been looking at Hakko 936 stations and noted they'd been going for roughly $50 USD. However, in the picture it was CLEARLY a Hakko 928 dual iron station. A quick eBay search showed that to be ~$120 USD. It came with a 900M-ESD iron and 950 SMD hot tweezers! I don't know about the iron, but the tweezers seem to be commanding $175-$225 USD! The condition of the tips seems to be...lacking...but a pair of tips is roughly $70, better than $200! The iron did unfortunately come with that super fine conical tip, so I'll have to pick up some other tips. I did a quick power on test and everything seemed to be in order, I have a couple of soldering projects that'll put it through a good test run. So what do you think? Deal or dud? How much would you think this setup would go for?

Here's the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/VQ2Nm

Sorry the pictures are bright and have harsh shadows, I was excited and eager to post and didn't want to go dig out my actual camera and set up a good shooting area, so this was shot with my phone. If anyone wants me to do that I'd be happy to take more (better) pictures and add them to the album.

Also yes, I know those huge soldering tips won't go on the iron or the tweezers, they weren't in the listing and I have no idea why they sent them lol. The metcal stand adapter thing wasn't in the listing either, and I don't believe it's compatible with the base they sent. That's ok though, I have another iron holder I can use as the base they sent seems to be more suited to the tweezers.

Bonus to look forward to: I have another eBay steal that should be arriving either Friday Nov 28th or Monday Dec 1st. I'll make a separate post to see what you all think about that too! Big hint: it was spurred on by Dave's video about people complaining they can't get cheap scopes :D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Help evaluate my eBay swag/score? (Hakko 928)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »
It looks legitimate, Flextronics is a large NASDAQ company that manufacturers worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flextronics

The 928 is a dual 938 and may still be fully supported by Hakko, i.e., spare parts etc., so you can spruce your station to like new condition. 
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline StormchaserTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
Thanks saturation for the info on Flextronics , they sound like a good bedrock company. Too bad they closed their contract electronics manufacturing plant in 1996, it was just a short drive from me! But I'm glad to hear they seem to be doing well and winning awards so hopefully they'll be around for any calibration needs that might arise. I purchased the iron locally, so they must have some sort of satellite office around here!

I did some desoldering practice with it, seems to work just great! I didn't time it but it seems like it hit temp within 30 seconds of turning on. I can't believe I've been using a dinky 15w straight-to-mains radio shack iron, so embarassing!

Since nobody else seems to want to take a guess, it was purchased for 69 USD and about 12 shipping, and then since it was a local purchase I did have to pay tax. Came to about 88 I think which seems like a steal to me!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »
As Dave would say, Good on ya!  Enjoy the treasure.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf