Author Topic: Hot air station - a china cheapo (Atten, etc), or Hakko851?  (Read 8539 times)

Offline toliTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hot air station - a china cheapo (Atten, etc), or Hakko851?
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:05 am »
I've been thinking about getting one of these for some time now, as its something useful to have. I have access to high quality gear at the university lab where I study/work, but something basic should probably be available to me at home too for when I work on my own stuff over the weekends.

I don't see a need for a high end tool, this is for occasional hobby use only. One of the China cheapo's is indeed an option, and Atten seem to be quite popular. I came across a used HAKKO 851 I could get for <100$ or so, and now I'm thinking if this might be a better option.

The major flaw I see with the 851, is the fact it only has a very limited selection of nozzles. All round, with 1,1.5,2,3mm dia. and that's all.
I doubt I'll use it for BGA stuff, probably only smaller SMD parts like resistors/capacitors/SOIC/other small SMD chips. So a 3mm nozzle should be sufficient. Other than that, I really would feel better with a used HAKKO than I would with a new Atten. So far my FX951 and 470 are serving me well for years, so I feel comfortable with the brand. The fact its handle is relatively slim is also very appealing.

However, before pulling the trigger I would sure be happy to hear what people with some experience with this gear/any thoughts on the matter have to say. Which would you recommend?

Thank you.
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hot air station - a china cheapo (Atten, etc), or Hakko851?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:06 am »
I've got one of the Atten hot air guns.  It works well, for the $$.  It has saved me a lot, and it paid for itself the first time I used it.
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline Ether

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:43:08 am »
Sure, go ahead and buy one but make sure you check the wiring before you turn it on. Mine blew up spectacularly when I  forgot.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:00:26 am »
Get a China cheapo and check the wiring for safety:

1. Fuse, and switch should be on Active line
   2. Case should be earthed (check continuity)
   3. Connections should be secure
   4. Hand piece nozzle should be earthed

All easy 5 minute fixes if necessary.  I have a Saike (which didn't have any of the above problems at all) have used it often over the last 6 months or so, makes life so much easier when reworking SMD stuff, should have bought one years ago.  Also awesome for heat shrink.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05:20 am »
I've got one of the Atten hot air guns.  It works well, for the $$.  It has saved me a lot, and it paid for itself the first time I used it.

Ditto.  It's cheap.  It works.  Also, someone on here is/was working on a firmware update.

With tools this cheap, if you using it more then once a day, you should buy two.  One as a back up!  The price - why now?

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:09:17 am »
@ wagon
may i ask how long have you used it?
and how many hours of use before you need to replace the heater (if at all) ?
No troubles at all, except for one of the segments of the led temp display comes and goes.  I can't be bothered fixing it.  I use it a fair bit, a few times a week.
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:31:15 am »
Which would you recommend?

Simple: if you have the money, buy the Hakko - a quality product at a quality price.

If you don't have the money, buy the cheapo (china or no china) - subpar quality at a subpar price.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »
I don't know what the Hakko is, it's not a brand that's heard of in the UK but it doesn't look particularly high quality. I'd recommend saving a bit of extra money for a 2nd hand or new JBC, Ersa or Metcal hot air station though. We use the ERSA HR100A at work and I own the Metcal HCT-900 and they are a real pleasure to use. Definitely worth saving for quality tools IMO.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:37 pm »
I don't know what the Hakko is, it's not a brand that's heard of in the UK but it doesn't look particularly high quality.

Well, Hakko is definitely NOT a low quality brand.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »
I don't know what the Hakko is, it's not a brand that's heard of in the UK but it doesn't look particularly high quality.
:o

Hakko is a well-established Japanese brand.  They're not ultra-high-end like JBC or Metcal, but good enough that all the Chinese have been cloning them.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:37:45 pm »

Hakko is a well-established Japanese brand.  They're not ultra-high-end like JBC or Metcal, but good enough that all the Chinese have been cloning them.

Fair enough, I've never heard of them, but the blue/yellow colour scheme of a lot of their product range gives the impression of a toy. Very odd if they are supposed to be quite good. The irons look to be plain old heater element combined with temperature sensor, then a completely separate tip which is pretty poor by today's standards.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:39:32 pm by SteveyG »
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »
Fair enough, I've never heard of them, but the blue/yellow colour scheme of a lot of their product range gives the impression of a toy. Very odd if they are supposed to be quite good. The irons look to be plain old heater element combined with temperature sensor, then a completely separate tip which is pretty poor by today's standards.

This is probably the most recommended solder station in these forums. An excelent middle of the road station with good balance between quality and cost.

OP, I was in the same situation last year. First got a cheapo, it worked well for me but when I opened it and inspected the quality of the ground path it didn't look safe to me (thin wires at some points, poor connections to the case, etc, things that an ohmmeter will not detect) so I got a hakko 850 from ebay. The hakko is built very well and is a work horse that will last many years. As for nozzles, check ebay, there are many cheap (and good enough) nozzles there.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:21 pm »

They may be 'well-established', but they have practically no market in the EU. They're overpriced so far you may as well spend the extra on a Metcal.

This is probably the most recommended solder station in these forums. An excelent middle of the road station with good balance between quality and cost.

Only in your market.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:11:59 pm by Monkeh »

Offline toliTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:15:26 pm »
first, thank you all for the replies.
Second, I'd like to address 2 things specifically that were written here:
As for nozzles, check ebay, there are many cheap (and good enough) nozzles there.
I did, there are very limited options for the 851. It is different than the 850, and doesn't use the same nozzles.

Which would you recommend?

Simple: if you have the money, buy the Hakko - a quality product at a quality price.

If you don't have the money, buy the cheapo (china or no china) - subpar quality at a subpar price.
The Hakko isn't much more expensive. Its a used unit and will only cost 20$ more than getting an Atten 858D+. The only benefit I see for the Atten is the selection of nozzles. The 851 is very limited in this regard (although I'm not sure its a problem for my needs as I've described in the OP).

I must admit that I'm worried more after reading about safety and reliability issues with these Atten units. It's not the first time I run across such reviews of this unit. IMO, safety and reliability are more important than actual performance in this case.
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »

Only in your market.

I saw here reports of 220V people that run a FX-8888 on an external 110V stepdown or even replacing the internal transformer.

e.g.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 08:03:51 pm »
I did, there are very limited options for the 851. It is different than the 850, and doesn't use the same nozzles.
Definitely.

The 851 is a lot less power, so it's a lot smaller diameter tube that contains the heating element (851 is more like a soldering iron in size, while the 850 & Chinese clones are closer to a broom handle).

To give it a numerical perspective (specification), we're talking about 80W v. 280W between the 851 and 850 respectively, so this will definitely make a difference in what they can each undertake at their limits. You'll find the 851 excellent for passives and small IC's on single and double sided boards for example. Add extra layers or larger components however, and it's going to struggle or outright be incapable of the intended task.

The Hakko isn't much more expensive. Its a used unit and will only cost 20$ more than getting an Atten 858D+. The only benefit I see for the Atten is the selection of nozzles. The 851 is very limited in this regard (although I'm not sure its a problem for my needs as I've described in the OP).
If the 851 will in fact meet your needs, get it. Far better quality components used to manufacture it, and it's internals are wired properly.

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:13 am »

It's blue and yellow because it's green, it supports lead free soldering which requires higher heat levels, and it's considered green because it can solder with solder that doesn't contain lead.

( blue + yellow = green )

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:40:38 pm by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 04:28:11 am »

Only in your market.

I saw here reports of 220V people that run a FX-8888 on an external 110V stepdown or even replacing the internal transformer.

e.g.

By which time it once again costs as much as buying a 240V model..

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:12 pm »
The Hakko isn't much more expensive.

Well, the decisioning is even easier.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf