Author Topic: How do I connect and verify anti-static equipment?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline tobiaTopic starter

• Contributor
How do I connect and verify anti-static equipment?
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »
Hello

I'm starting to experiment with CMOS ICs, so I bought an anti-static mat and bracelet from my local electronics shop. They are the Velleman AS4 mat (surface resistivity 10e9 to 10e11 ohm/m2) and AS2 wrist strap with 1 Mohm resistor.

I didn't ask the shop guys how to connect and use them, thinking it would be obvious (silly me!) but the products don't have any manual. I just checked the Velleman site and I couldn't find any instructions there either.

The mat only has one button, where you snap its own lead. I connected the other side to the ground pin of my scope, since it's always connected to earth ground, even when the instrument is turned off (I just verified it with my meter.) That leaves the wrist strap, which has another crocodile at the end of its lead.

Is it ok to connect it to the edge of the mat, next to the other grounding lead, as I have seen in some videos and pictures online?

Secondly, is there any hobbyist-level procedure (that doesn't involve buying expensive insulation testers) to measure or just validate an anti-static equipment setup? I just tried with my meter, but it can't read Gohm resistance. (It does read the Mohm of the bracelet, even between the grounding lead and the inside of the strap.)

For instance, I'm considering buying these boxes, because they fit my preferences for part storage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221377178580 But the brand and seller are such no-names, I'd like to verify that the boxes are actually anti-static before I buy several. Can I do that?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:28:43 pm by tobia »

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I connect and verify anti-static equipment?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:47 pm »
These need to be connected to ground. In the UK, this is done with a plug that exposes the earth (usually with some protection). The wrist strap and mat would then plug in to it.

For testing them, there are go/no go testers used in companies to check anti-static equipment. I don't know how much they would be. These basically check that there is a some conductivity between earth and the user.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline tobiaTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: How do I connect and verify anti-static equipment?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 10:48:46 pm »
Never mind, found all the answers about connections here https://youtu.be/vuUSIt3rbyU?t=13m44s  8)

I'd still like to know whether I can trust those plastic boxes and how can I test them…

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf