Author Topic: How much can be swapped between Hakko stations and clones?  (Read 19436 times)

Offline HausserTopic starter

How much can be swapped between Hakko stations and clones?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:15:34 am »
Hi,
This is my first post, be kind!

I recently bought a WEP 862D+ from a seller on eBay, one of those two-in-one hot air rework and soldering iron stations.

I so far have found it quite reasonable, however my curiosity is begging to know how much can be swapped between these and the genuine Hakko counterparts.

Am I right in thinking that Hakko never made a combined rework and iron station?

Did they ever made a hot air station that had a fan in the handle rather than the diaphragm pump in the station?

I know standard 900M tips will fit the iron, but can the genuine 907 element fit in these fake handles/pencils (what are they actually called?)? I've found a lot of mixed information on this.

Can an actual Hakko 907 fit these clone stations or is the wiring and/or resistances incorrect?

Sorry for all the questions, I found very mixed answers for half of them and nothing for the rest....
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:25:11 am by Hausser »

The following users thanked this post: queennikki1972

Re: How much can be swapped between Hakko stations and clones?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:24:09 am »
Ah, another hitch. I found some specifications on the resistance of the genuine 907 iron and went to compare it to mine. What do I find, but a female connector on the iron's cord... Not a show stopper, but what were they thinking....  ???

duskglow

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:34 am »
From what I researched, I believe that all of the replaceable parts (the screw, sheath, tip, etc) are Hakko compatible.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:29:38 am »
Including the element, or did you not find out?

The resistance of the element and sensor does appear to be the same though, so I have a good hope.

It was supposed to come with a genuine 'imported' Hakko element when I bought it. Sure...

duskglow

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:03 am »
I didn't find out.  I ended up ordering a GQ 5200 instead.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:05:41 am »
Ah, another hitch. I found some specifications on the resistance of the genuine 907 iron and went to compare it to mine. What do I find, but a female connector on the iron's cord... Not a show stopper, but what were they thinking....  ???

Inverse connector, you probably have the "low resistance" sensor in there, not the one that Hakko's use.  There's another thread....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/genuine-vs-fake-hakko-936-ceramic-heater-a1321/
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:19:03 am »
Thanks, I'll have a read through that link again.

I have measured it to have the same resistance as the genuine Hakko element at room temperature (both heater and sensor), according to the Hakko test sheet.

I don't get why Chinese designers think that a male connector with voltage on it is a good idea. At least this is only 24v max for the iron (the hot air cord is fixed), although I read somewhere that some of the earlier hot air rework station clones also had a male socket (with up to 240v on it...  ??? )!

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:23 am »
I don't get why Chinese designers think that a male connector with voltage on it is a good idea. At least this is only 24v max for the iron (the hot air cord is fixed), although I read somewhere that some of the earlier hot air rework station clones also had a male socket (with up to 240v on it...  ??? )!
To stop you from plugging a genuine Hakko handle into the station, or vice-versa. They might be coding the sensor and heater type according to the connector gender.

Offline LeWidget

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »
Hi there,

Regarding that WEP 862D+ station you purchased, was it this one,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-2-in-1-Soldering-Iron-Station-ESD-Safe-Hot-Air-Gun-Dual-LED-Display-3-Nozzle-/321167023422?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4ac70bdd3e ?

I was looking at this one as it was similar pricing to the other brands & it mentions having all this 'better quality' components etc.. Does anyone know or has anyone seen/done a tear-down on this unit ? I haven't been able to find one. Wondering what everyone's thought's are compared to other units such as

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-In-1-Soldering-Iron-SMD-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-YH-8786D-/380692535166?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item58a30b177e

Regards,

Offline synapsis

• Regular Contributor
    • Blackcow
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »
I have the 898D+ rework station (same air gun as the 8786) and the air gun heating element shorted itself the fourth time I used it. I ended up buying an 858D and replacing the whole gun assembly. The 858D had a newer version of the PCB in the gun. I really need to get my website back up, I took photos of the whole thing (including the control boards.) I still have the 858D disassembled in the closet.

My Hakko 937 tips fit the 898D+ soldering iron really loose, so I ended up buying a second set of tips for it.

Edit: Found some photos.

First are the two air guns, the failed 898 on the left, the new 858 on the right.
The yellow PCB is from the 858 rework station.
The green PCB is from the 898 combination rework/iron station.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:35:02 pm by synapsis »

Offline LeWidget

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:36 am »
Sooooo I went & bought that soldering station  :phew:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2in1-SMD-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-Lead-Free-Soldering-Iron-3-Nozzles-1-YR-WRT-/221285084290?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item33859e6c82

hopefully it turns out all good...

First soldering iron, but at least I can start solder/de-soldering stuff now  :-/O

and so it begins...  :scared:

(just waiting on other bits to arrive)

Offline philpem

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:24 pm »
A bit of a tangent... but the "474" desoldering stations can be significantly improved if you swap the filters. Chuck out the nasty orange sponge filters and swap in a Hakko white ceramic-paper filter to start with, also buy a pack of the Hakko spring filters.

Once you do that, the machine works a lot better, and you get rid of one of the major faults: keeping a sponge filter damp while it's in close proximity to a very hot heating element.
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

Offline leapy2

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:27:27 pm »
Hi im new to soldering and would like to buy a small solder station looking around I found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2in1-SMD-Hot-Air-Gun-Rework-Station-Lead-Free-Soldering-Iron-4-Nozzles-/310770370634?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

does anyone know how reliable they are I would be using it for laptop repairs mainly. Or can anyone suggest an alternative for around the same price or one with a desoldering gun included would be great.

Thanks

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:24 pm »
I got the hakko 908-CK conversion kit and it fits my 936 clone (Tenma), it came with:

1 - 900L-T-3.2D Large Mass Tip
1 - B1787 Enclosure
1 - B1794 Enclosure Nut
1 - B2033 Nipple

Changing the iron from a 907 medium iron to a 908 large iron. I also got an extra 5 900L-T-3.2D tips from tequipment.net. I would have bought the conversion kit from them but they don't have it anymore.

Offline leapy2

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:17:31 pm »
thanks will take a look at those

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf