Author Topic: How much to ask - ZYGO PTI interferometer  (Read 1970 times)

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
How much to ask - ZYGO PTI interferometer
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:19:06 pm »
Hi guys,

I've obtained a ZYGO interferometer, type PTI, built in 1987. It's a fairly old machine, but the laser works. There's also a CCD camera inside, but I have not connected to it yet. Essentially, I can't guarantee any parameters. The optics seem to be in working order. There are also some accessories (piezo power supply, transmission lenses kinda like reference devices as far as I understand, misc.). Basically, it's either for someone who'd hack it into something fun (use the optics as something fun, nanometer measurement thingamajig, that sort of thing) or someone looking for spare parts for their device.

Now, I wanted to ask an estimate as to how much I could ask for it? It's completely out of my area of expertise, so, while it's a very nice device, and I'd love to play with it a bit more, it's wasted on me.

See the photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/apraB3ttie6ujqEw6

The device is solidly built, they knew what they were doing :) The thing ways a lot.

Best regards,

David
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online daqqTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: How much to ask - ZYGO PTI interferometer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:51 am »
I've uploaded some photos of the insides.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Philtron

Re: How much to ask - ZYGO PTI interferometer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:01:12 am »
Unfortunately the link does not work. But usually the old PTIs from the 80ies have no PMR eg no phase shifting option. Even if the Laser is lit, it can be unstable with changing phase. Decoherence would ruin your fringes.
If there is a CCD Camera in it, the Vidican has been replaced. You should have a manual shutter control now.
The optical alignment of the system is a nightmare and requires special tooling. First thing to check are the mecanical stops of the Levers that swich aperture and align mode. They wear out first.
You can clean the optics inside with dry cloth but be aware not to touch the quaterwaveplate in front of the big beamsplitter. It can kill your system!

The value is between €100 for dameged PTI02 Systems and 4-8K€ for working Instruments in shmick condition (crisp, clean image and good focus).
Usually the Zygo Reference Spheres have more value if in good condition. Reference Flats are between 1K and 2K (4ich)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf