Products > Other Equipment & Products

Husky Hunter Computers (Rare & Obscure Computers)

(1/16) > >>

TheEPROM9:
DVW Microelectronics Husky:

These are from 1981 and are arguably the first portable computers, they are very rugged. I don't think there are meany of these left:

Husky Hunter 1/2:

These are far more well known and can be found every so often, they run on CP/M. I scanned the manual and it can be found Here: https://archive.org/details/HuskyHunterManual

Thanks to whoever uploaded it there =-)
not sure if my Mega account is even alive anymore.

Other Husky's:

Fraser:
I have an 'as new' Husky Hunter 2 that came with a 1980's Agema Thermovision 880 Thermal camera. IIRC it was used for temperature calculations, Isothermal measurements etc.

Sadly it is nothing more than a museum piece now, as is the thermal camera it services.

Well built though  :-+

Aurora

TheEPROM9:

--- Quote from: Aurora on April 21, 2015, 12:08:41 pm ---I have an 'as new' Husky Hunter 2 that came with a 1980's Agema Thermovision 880 Thermal camera. IIRC it was used for temperature calculations, Isothermal measurements etc.

Sadly it is nothing more than a museum piece now, as is the thermal camera it services.

Well built though  :-+

Aurora

--- End quote ---

I did not know they were used with thermal cameras. I do have three which are completely rooted though. I thing one is due to memory. I did use mine at University to learn programming, converting C# to BASIC forced me to understand how the codes worked as well as how it was layed out. No one else understood my method, but it worked for me.

smjcuk:
I worked at a company that used them in the 1990s as crypto terminals. I spent a day in a lab freezing them and baking them in quick cycles. Used to slow down a bit after the freezing session. Was great fun.

I can't say much more about the tech details or I'll get bagged and tagged unfortunately.

TheEPROM9:

--- Quote from: smjcuk on April 21, 2015, 04:23:56 pm ---I worked at a company that used them in the 1990s as crypto terminals. I spent a day in a lab freezing them and baking them in quick cycles. Used to slow down a bit after the freezing session. Was great fun.

I can't say much more about the tech details or I'll get bagged and tagged unfortunately.

--- End quote ---

Nice, a lot were used for mi8ll projects the Rasper Missile Project being the most famous. Plus no data can be recovered off them due to the fact everything was stored on battery backed RAM. I have had people show images/videos of them in other civilian uses though. That might make a fun project doing cryptography on one and seeing how easy it is to crack. Hell you could link it to more modern equipment and use it as a key storage device that can wipe the key as soon as the system becomes compromised. I'm going into computer security so those sorts of areas intrest me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version