Author Topic: I got a new toy: Fluke PM6304  (Read 16191 times)

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
I got a new toy: Fluke PM6304
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »
Hi guys, I could not decide between Agilent u1733c and Tonghui TH2822C since both have some issues, ended up buying Phluke PM6304 (google it to find out why it's "Ph")

Don't have any pics yet but looks like this:

I will post a teardown later. That thing is absolute sex.

Question: does anyone else have the 63xx and can you tell me the model number of the connector that comes with leaded accessories or at least post some high res pictures of it?. I know it's a 8-pin LEMO 1B series but don't know which exactly it is. I want to make my own SMD tweezers since the Fluke tweezers are $1100. No fucking way I'm paying that for a kelvin clips with a $36 connector.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: I got a new toy: Fluke PM6304
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:39:25 pm »
Sure looks nice as hell but as always the biggest downfall of fluke/phillips or just phillips was that they used really weird connectors for their meters
Whether cap measurement or temp measurement or even resistor measurement!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:42 am »
Sure looks nice as hell but as always the biggest downfall of fluke/phillips or just phillips was that they used really weird connectors for their meters
Whether cap measurement or temp measurement or even resistor measurement!

There is a reason though they used this LEMO connector, it's very high quality.

Offline Tuomas

• Contributor
    • My random electronics projects
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:07 am »
Those things are awesome.

I was fixing a broken oscilloscope a year ago, suspecting the caps were the problem, but I didn't have an ESR meter. I asked one of my teachers at the university if he might have a ESR meter lying around somewhere. After grinning like a maniac for a while and telling me repeatedly that he's got "just the right thing", he handed me that Fluke. A bit of an overkill for simply measuring ESR. I ended up spending more time measuring random components, coils of wire and all kinds of other stuff I could find in the lab, than measuring the caps.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:49:24 am »
I never knew why they couldn't fuse the component measurement connector together with the Voltage measurement node

Those things are awesome.

I was fixing a broken oscilloscope a year ago, suspecting the caps were the problem, but I didn't have an ESR meter. I asked one of my teachers at the university if he might have a ESR meter lying around somewhere. After grinning like a maniac for a while and telling me repeatedly that he's got "just the right thing", he handed me that Fluke. A bit of an overkill for simply measuring ESR. I ended up spending more time measuring random components, coils of wire and all kinds of other stuff I could find in the lab, than measuring the caps.
... What i'd do after getting a ESR meter for the first week, measuring everything!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:39:45 pm »
we got this machine at work. 8051 based. very simple construction inside. but it works really well.

i can look up the part numbers monday. there is also an adaptor that snaps into the mini banan jacks.
i'll take some pictures of all the heads.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:31 am »
Lemo part numbers seem very complex at first glance but they really aren't. You know the series, that is the most important thing to know. Just have a look at their catalogue, it is very good and well explained. You now only need to figure out what kind of contact insert you need, it's either all female, all male or a mixture of both. Of course, if Fluke used something proprietary then you might be out of luck. Good thing is, Lemo make you any contact insert you want even in qty 1. It'll cost you, though.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:52:20 am »
we got this machine at work. 8051 based. very simple construction inside. but it works really well.

i can look up the part numbers monday. there is also an adaptor that snaps into the mini banan jacks.
i'll take some pictures of all the heads.

Oh man, that would be appreciated much. I want to make my own jig as well as an adapter to agilent style 4xBNC

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:03:41 am »
Ah memories...
Used plenty of these in automated production test gear.
I used to have the service manual for this, but sold it along with a faulty unit a few years back (I used to have several of these units).
I remember being able to get the MELO connector to make custom test leads, but this a decade ago now so forget the details.

Dave.

Offline kada

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 07:08:54 pm »
I bought the same cool toy and wanted to ask if somebody found out the part number of this magical LEMO connector?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:36 pm »
I use LEMO in all my stuff, from the electrical to the hybrid fiber connectors - many thousands of them. They are really amazing. The part numbering system requires it's own Phd led team to decode. Mouser keeps pretty good stock on the usual parts. If you can understand the part numbering you will find that you do not need an exact match. Just the right shell and pins. Half the part number is the plating, collet size, strain relief, etc.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:44:41 pm »
I use LEMO in all my stuff, from the electrical to the hybrid fiber connectors - many thousands of them. They are really amazing. The part numbering system requires it's own Phd led team to decode. Mouser keeps pretty good stock on the usual parts. If you can understand the part numbering you will find that you do not need an exact match. Just the right shell and pins. Half the part number is the plating, collet size, strain relief, etc.
At a former job we used Lemo a lot. Nice parts - super expensive.

I suspect the posters do not want to buy a crimper - so they want a solder version. 8 contacts in a 1B shell - I'd suggest anything that starts with FGG.1B.308.CLAD and doesn't end with Z. Mouser has CLAD42, 52, 62, and 72 - which refers to minimal cable diameter - 4.2mm, 5.2mm, etc.

Full description of part numbers here: http://www.lemo.com/catalog/ROW/UK_English/unipole_multipole.pdf

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:47:03 pm »
Yes! The solder cup version is important for sure. The crimpers are no joke!

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 07:22:56 pm »
PM9542A?

I think it's possibly the same as the PM6303a

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:45:05 pm »
Funny how a google search for the manual found Dave trying to find one too in 2004.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/aus.electronics/5yOfBb2KnFM

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »
Did anyone who ones of these ever do a teardown and can share the photos?  I haven't been able to find anything with Google that shows the inside yet.

thx

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »
I have two PM6303A (the little brother) and two PM6306 (the bigger brother) of the PM6304
They work extremely well.
Every year the calibration is spot on and they never needed to be re calibrated.

The PM6306 is still being sold today by Fluke.
Fluke never offered the LEMO connector separate but only with the official Fluke cables and they are just outrageously expensive.
I bought a few of the LEMO connectors a few years back to make my own cable sets.
If you are still after the part number, let me know and I will look it up.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »
I read about what this unit does. Just curious, what is the target audience or use-case for one of these? Manufactures of components?

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 11:10:38 pm »
I have an 8 pin LEMO FGG.2B connector here. Used. Tried to sell them (have other parts) on ebay, no takers.
If it works for you, I can send it Canada Post.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
In case anyone needs, some good people shared service manual with schematics for this PM6304 beast.

All hosted and uploaded right here.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 07:36:08 pm »
Nice! thanks!

I see you didn't have the PM6304 programming manual, and I did, so I uploaded that manual to your uploads directory. You should see it there in the PM6304 subdir and that makes your set more complete.

Cheers

Offline Urbie

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 07:14:31 am »
The following Lemo Part numbers for PM6304, PM6304A, PM6304C and PM6306 test lead connector have worked for me:

Connector body FGG.2B.308.CLAZ (with solder cups)
Cable clamp FGG.2B.762.DN (for 5.1 to 6 mm cable)
Bend relief GMA.2B.060.DN (for 6 - 6.5 mm cable)

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 04:12:33 am »
Just shelled out 600usd for the same model  i hopes its worth it,  since there is the service manual available just in case of ....

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 01:27:44 pm »
Just shelled out 600usd for the same model  i hopes its worth it,  since there is the service manual available just in case of ....
Congratulations.
They usually never break unless you do something totally stupid with them.
And the calibration is right on spot for many years without any need for correction.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 01:43:14 am »
oh yesss

It is a good one, passed all tests ....  firmware version 1.7

Just found out the banana cables, in medical equipment's surplus,  ultra flexible "somewhat silicone wrapped" type multi stranded copper wire,  with an 0.007 ohm in short circuit tests with the pm6304 ????

Bought 10 kits (2 black and 2 reds per kit), been told that maybe another kits may appears .....

Just added kelvin clips and i have now a full working unit with lot of spare cables kits. :)

Found out about the LEMO connector a 25$ ish  priced, shipping not included.    Not sure about an shielded cable i could put on this plug,  i have 50ft of a thin and flexible rg174 cable rated at 2.4 gigs of signal ??

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:59:57 am by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf