Author Topic: I need a new desktop PC  (Read 3659 times)

Offline RobaroniTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
I need a new desktop PC
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:12 pm »
Hi gang,
I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured I'd start here and see where it goes.

I've been running an HP8560w workstation for the last 6 or 7 years, really nice laptop, still works well but the battery is dying (never really use it so it's not important). I was setting up a new laptop for my wife and ran mine on the battery for awhile to the point where it wouldn't recover. I put it on my lab supply and got it high enough for the laptop to take over and now it's back up to full. The thing is that I got pretty nervous thinking of losing my machine in the middle of a job so I figured I'd get a desktop workstation while the laptop is still good and gradually move the files to the new machine. I thought I'd ask around to see what people are running.
I do CAD, CAM, EDA, etc. and just need a mainframe as I already have two monitors (plus the laptop display).
I really want to run at least three monitors, 4 would be better. Ideally I'd like to run around $1,500 or so. I can build a machine but personally I'd rather not spend the time researching all the individual components, cases, etc. although I do like the idea of adding and updating cards in the future.

Thanks for your help and views,
Rob

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: I need a new desktop PC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:59:26 am »
The 'for business' machines from Dell have worked very well for me and the rest of the family for the last decade. Stay away from the consumer crap they sell at the typical shopping mall. Better get a good machine with lesser specs than a machine which crashes 10 times a day.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline RobaroniTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »
The 'for business' machines from Dell have worked very well for me and the rest of the family for the last decade. Stay away from the consumer crap they sell at the typical shopping mall. Better get a good machine with lesser specs than a machine which crashes 10 times a day.

Thanks,
I've heard some good things about the Dell commercial machines, dependability is a big plus for me.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:59:46 pm »
I would recommend not buying Dell.  They spin their boards and all the interfaces are sometimes propriatary and sometimes not. Generally their components are excellent and are made to work 24/7.  That being said, when and if something goes wrong you will need to go to Dell for a part that needs replacing so be prepared to pay alot.  If you are a bank this woun't matter, but if say the power supply fails it may be quite difficult or expensive to find a replacement for an odd ball foot print inside the Dell case.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:15:40 pm »
Nonsense. It is a long standing myth you need special Dell parts. I have upgraded Dell machines with 'standard' PC parts many times. They aren't so stupid at Dell to make their machines incompatible with parts they can buy off-the-shelve themselves. Only the case, PSU and motherboard are proprietary in order to get a reliable and quiet system. In case something fails you have warranty.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:18:09 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:31 am »
I am very happy with my SuperMicro Xeon based system with 23 GB of EEC RAM and decent video for about US$1500. It's now two years old so the parts list below may not be completely current. For my purposes a smaller case would have been better, but that is my only complaint. I bought everything from Provantage.

Supermicro Sys-5038A-Il Xeon E3-1200 S1150 C226 4X3.5 4X2.5 HDD PCIE 500W       1  $397.03
Xeon E3-1276 V3 3.60GHZ 8MB DDR3 Up To 1600MHZ 4C 84W                           1  $341.80
8GB 1600MHZ DDR3L ECC CL11 DIMM 1.35V w/TS Server Hynix B               $87.53  4  $350.12
VCQK620-PB Nvidia Quadro K620 384 CUDA Cores, 2GB DDR3 GPU Memory, DVI-DL (1) + 1  $161.41
MZ-7KE256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD  ) 1  $167.34
Samsung DVDRW SH-224DB Bebe 24x SATA Black without Software Bare                1   $22.48

I am running Ubuntu Linux and driving a single UHD display ( I was using two monitors but decided that the single UHD monitor + virtual screens is best for my current needs).

The following users thanked this post: Robaroni

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:04:30 am »
Nonsense. It is a long standing myth you need special Dell parts. I have upgraded Dell machines with 'standard' PC parts many times. They aren't so stupid at Dell to make their machines incompatible with parts they can buy off-the-shelve themselves. Only the case, PSU and motherboard are proprietary in order to get a reliable and quiet system. In case something fails you have warranty.

Try to fit a standard PSU into an Optiplex, where the motherboard connectors are smaller, the space is wrong and tell me you can use a regular PSU. Price for a replacement PSU was more than for a new generic machine. then you get to the motherboard, where the only things that are standard parts are memory, CPU socket ( not the heatsink and fan though, or the case fans) and the PCI slots, all else being a Dell part.

Second hard drive, buy the Dell mounting kit to clip it in, new DVD drive buy the shaped Dell one or do some plastic work, want a parallel port ( socket is there on the board, along with the serial ones as well) off to pay Michael again. Want to plug into the motherboard USB headers.........

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »
The trick is to collect some spare parts. I have over 30 years of (cumulative) usage of Dell computers under this roof so I have some old machines on hand for spare parts. Alternatively you can buy ex-lease Dell computers very cheap which will get you all the spare parts, clips, etc you need.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:03:09 pm »
At least as recently as about 10 years ago, easily 90% of the computers inside Microsoft were Dell, so if you intend to run a Microsoft OS, Dell is probably a good bet, at least their business class. Personally I prefer Lenovo when it comes to OEM PCs, but for my own use at home I've always built one myself.

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:24 pm »
Unsure where you are in the USA, but generally there are a lot of local and reputable "Computer Stores" for tailor made systems.  I would stop by a few san see what they can offer you.

I have had a few Dell laptops with excellent value/service/results.  But I am usually above your 1.5k price point with them.

I have driven my CAD software easily from a current Surface Pro IV i7 unit.  This is my favorite PC.

For gaming / video rendering I use a desktop with X99 chipset, (2) 4K monitors, i7 8 core CPU...  depending on your choice of graphics card you can get one of these within your stated budget.

Look to newegg.com, www.cyberpowerpc.com frys.com bestbuy.com etc etc for online stores.

just my 2 cents

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:11:52 am »
That should have been 32 GB of ECC RAM, not a lousy and unlikely 23 GB...

I did not notice that the OP had a US$1500 budget, My system meets that nicely (but does not include the monitor or keyboard). Presumably there are some more modern choices for some of the items. Note that I started with a SuperMicro "bare bones system" and then added components.

By the way I am using a Monoprice UHD monitor, but it's really too bright at night (I always have brightness set to zero) so I expect to get a Dell 27" UHD monitor that has been measured (by tomshardware and thewirecutter) to have reasonable  minimum brightness.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »
I need a desktop system. How do the HP Pavilion system fair, the i7 6700T ?

There is a seller on Amazon with 17 of these units in some custom configuration, 2TB HDD half the ram at 8GB and missing nVidia card, but price is only $603. Now this seller, I have no idea how a very small one person computer business is selling these systems, and would the OS image be factory or a custom spin with extra sprinkles?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:48:52 pm »
Do you care about the OS you can run on the hardware? It is good to be aware that Windows 7 and 8 will only be supported on generations of hardware before the current one.

Also, you mention that you plan on moving the files over bit by bit. Does this mean you do not have adequate backups of your files right now? If you don't, that would be the first of my worries. Make sure you have important files at least twice, on two separate hard drives, preferably in two different systems.

I would recommend not buying Dell.  They spin their boards and all the interfaces are sometimes propriatary and sometimes not. Generally their components are excellent and are made to work 24/7.  That being said, when and if something goes wrong you will need to go to Dell for a part that needs replacing so be prepared to pay alot.  If you are a bank this woun't matter, but if say the power supply fails it may be quite difficult or expensive to find a replacement for an odd ball foot print inside the Dell case.
The same applies to HP. A lot of large business pc builders seem to do this.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 06:16:11 pm »
this is a 3 years old thread but... searching quickly just atm i think its possible to push a new i9-10900K system + double the ram capacity + accs at the same price as that Dell XPS 8930 SE..
https://www.dell.com/en-my/shop/desktop-computers/xps-tower-desktop/spd/xps-8930-desktop#features_section
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf