Author Topic: in search of a Li Ion desktop charger - second attempt  (Read 3900 times)

Offline tatus1969Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
in search of a Li Ion desktop charger - second attempt
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
an alternative headline could be: trying to make the impossible true. I'm privately developing a product in the electro-mobility area (details to follow  8)) and one of the main open topics is finding a suitable charger. The basic requirements are 25.2V / 5A, and of course I want to be able to safely sell it worldwide. Price competitiveness is key as well.

I am quite inexperienced in this area and don't know any quality suppliers for these. All major players seem to be far east based. And having a large company like Phihong develop something is also not really in sight, initial volumes will certainly not allow this. I am thinking to start with 100 ~ 1000 units.

So I went digging into Alibaba and let me send some samples of possible candidates. First try was a complete fail (yes, I sorta expected this, but Hope dies last). I have attached some picture, see yourself what I mean. Some issues are cosmetic and due to them having made a customized sample for me, but there are several critical safety issues. I didn't come to the point of asking them for relevant certificates and associated lab reports...

Now I want to give it a second try. Company GVE http://www.gve-cn.com/ is advertising with several customer stories, they seem to be in the market for reasonable time.

Does anyone have experience with them? Do you know other companies that I should try? I would be willing to pay for project cost up to 1000USD. At the time I'm a bit desperate...
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: in search of a Li Ion desktop charger - second attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
a charger is not just a psu - which are you looking for?

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:49:48 pm »
a charger is not just a psu - which are you looking for?
i am looking for a dedicated charger for a 6s2p 18650' pack, it should have status leds. a current-decay based cutoff is not necessary, there is a microcontroller between charger and battery that controls a mosfet switch and does cell balancing as well. a simple cc/cv charger would do the job.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
did you contact people who make similar stuff,
like MeanWell or SkyRC incase they can mod an existing line to tweak the voltage or current?

The following users thanked this post: tatus1969

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:07 am »
did you contact people who make similar stuff,
like MeanWell or SkyRC incase they can mod an existing line to tweak the voltage or current?

If you like competition, thats the way to go, tons of company fighting for this low profit market

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-SKYRC-iMAX-B6AC-V2-6A-Lipo-Battery-Balance-Charger-LCD-Display-Discharger-For-RC-Model/32762090342.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.4.sIzl8V

I'm sorry, that's not what I am searching for. I know these devices above and own one myself. These are multi-chemistry multi-cell chargers with integrated balancers. With the right cabling, plus a decent desktop PSU, they would do the job. But they do not fit my target market. The solution that I am looking for just does look like a regular desktop PSU, has the right (fixed) connector cable (2.5 x 5.5mm round plug), no configuration, integrated switching PSU. The vehicle has a corresponding receptacle, you just plug in the charger and done. No need to remove the battery to charge it, although you can in order to replace it with a fresh one.

As in my initial post, company GVE do sell them, I am just in doubt if they can deliver the required quality and safety.

http://www.gve-cn.com/products/28.html#.WG4cv7m9mbc

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 03:43:55 pm »
you should re-read my last post.

i said maybe they could custom one for you.
no menu's, no un-needed connectors etc.

The following users thanked this post: tatus1969

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:07:32 pm »
you should re-read my last post.

i said maybe they could custom one for you.
no menu's, no un-needed connectors etc.
thanks for insisting, I overlooked your tip regarding MeanWell. They in fact have a model that should be suitable for customization, lets hope that they are interested in my low volum inquiry.

http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=GC120

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf