Author Topic: Incredibly good boom mount stereo zoom microscope for incredible price  (Read 37821 times)

Offline robrenzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
I have been looking for a reasonably priced boom mount sterero zoom microscope for a long time.  Features that I wanted were a very long working distance (distance from the objective to your work). This is so I could solder or assemble/disassemble under magnification. And very wide fieild of view.  Amscope model SM-3BZ provided all of these features. http://store.amscope.com/sm-3bz.html .
One important thing I learned is that the .5 Barlow lens is what gives the 165mm 6.5" working distance! Your total magnification is your eyepiece mag. x your zoom mag.(.7 to 4.5) x your Barlow mag. So the lowest mag possible is 10 x .7 x .5 = 3.5 mag. At this setting you have 165mm working distance and 57mm field of view. if you now zoom to 4.5 you have 10 x 4.5 x .5 = 22.5 mag. At this setting you have 165mm working distance and 8.9mm field of view. So if you want to maintain that 165mm working distance at higher magnifications you need to get a set of 20x eypieces also. this will double the magnifications above without changing the working distance. Wtih the 20x eyepieces and the .5 barlow you have 165mm working distance and 28.6mm field of view at 7x mag and 4.4mm field of view at 45mag.  You could get the same values with 10x eyepieces and no Barlow but your working distance drops to 100mm.  If you put the 2x Barlow on your working distance drops to 30mm Ouch!
I asked them to exchange the 2x Barlow for two 20x eyepieces and I would pay the $20.00 US difference.  No problem and it came with the 2x Barlow anyway!  That give me the ability to go to 180x. at 180x I can see the ripples in each individual pulse puddle of laser marking on a metal crystal can!
Also got the 48 led light ring. Scope is worthless without lighting.

If you mention that you saw the Microscopes on thier Ebay store you get free shipping!  So my entire package cost $463.98 US delivered.
The quality is outstanding both mechanicaly and opticaly.  Ii is all metal construction and all glass optics. I still cant believe the qulaity at this price.
Keep in mind this is the model I picked for my purposes and you can get much less expensive and much more expensive units from them. I do feel this is the ideal model for serious electronic work with the boom mount and the huge working distance and wide field view.  You can get the same models with camera tubes but I take pictures right through the eye piece and i works great for the number of times I need to take a photo.

I give it three thumbs up!

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
Sniff Sniff i smell spam ???

Offline robrenzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
This is not spam, I have no relationship with amscope.  I just thought others may have been looking for the same thing.  I learned a lot about working distance in the process of buying this microscope and thought it might be helpfull to pass it along.
Yes I am gushing with enthusiasm about it because it is such an incredible bargain.  Sorry it came across as spam. :(

Offline dimlow

• Frequent Contributor
  • Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
Well, its a strange first post, that's for sure
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:44:30 pm by dimlow »

Offline Lawsen

• Frequent Contributor
I have worked with stereo magnifier as both hobbyist and geology.  I have experienced all types in academia and self owned ones. There are many inexpensive microscopes being made in China and India.  I have three stereo microscopes in my sleeping room along with my Philips analog and Rigol digital.  Stereo microscopes comes in two types.  Greenough design with the microscope for each eye provides great relief 3 dimensional views, but lower N.A., numerical aperture, angular resolution.  Common objective provides the greatest resolution, higher N.A. and narrow, but higher angular resolution.  That is why semiconductors are inspected with reflected light microscopes with single compound objectives with really high N.A. and sharp images.  The working distance is long a few millimeters and the depth of field is little.  The resolution and sharp images are for the really flat and shiny objects.  I have the plastic Zeiss DR1040, slightly blurry images compared with the compound microscopes, because of low N.A. and larger separation distance between the two objectives, a Greenough design.  I have used that to inspect my soldering in powered amplifier, when I repaired my Sony stereo.  Greenough design have great working distance, around 3 inches, 80 mm and good depth of field.  My Zeiss DR1040 has only two magnifications in steps, 10X and 40X.  My cheap, Meiji Techno SKT-2 is a portable Greenough stereo microscope with only 10X and 30X.  My best stereo microscope is an expensive Nikon SMZ-U, 7.5 X to 75X stepless, common objective design with better N.A. by an adjustable f/stop like in a camera, but two optical path from a single objective system.  I used them to study rocks and minerals with their ground mass and euhedral (distinct crystals) and anhedral  (crystals mixed into the ground mass of the rock).  I can pick out the individual minerals in beach sand.  It is true that we could use it to identify parts and labels in electronics.  

The working distance, depth of field, brightness of the image, and sharpness decrease with increasing magnification.  LED lights are sometimes too cold white temperature.  Any goose neck flexible desk lamp will work, too.  

The most expensive brand of microscope you could buy is the Wild Heerbrugg line that was made in Switzerland.  There are some models of the Olympus and Nikon that are expensive, like the 1:10 zoom common objective design microscopes are expensive.  The current model Zeiss V-8 series are expensive, too, a common objective design.  Yours is a Greenough design like my inexpensive Meiji Techno or Zeiss DR1040.  Wild Heerbrugg in plastic body is the Leica M and MS series.  Leica Microsystem got bought out by Wild Heerbrugg.  American makes are the Bausch and Lomb Stereo Zoom series in a pod and offered second hand at fixed single magnification for $250.00 at 10X from Nightingale Sales in Florida, U.S.A.  There are no spare parts for the Bausch and Lomb models, too old and the supporting company is not interested.  

I am not familar with the Mantis, but the only advantage is it is ocular less, fiber optic microchannel projection screen view, which is handy when soldering surface mounted components.  This is what a geology person would buy.  Mantis is made by a company in the U.K., Vision Engineering:

I cannot afford this 8X, three dimensional magnifier for $1,872.00 USD.  Surf here:

http://www.all-spec.com/products/MCHBS.html

I have heard about these awhile ago, but it is not something we used for mineral identification.  I just use my geology microscope for checking soldering, because it is available in my room and already paid for many years ago.  I have seen pictures of the Mantis in magazines, but never tired one myself, ocularless, comfortable while soldering and viewing through it simultaneously.  Dave Jones is right about the possibilities at 8X.  

http://www.visioneng.com/stereo-inspection-microscopes-overview.php

The Queen of Elizabeth of England got to tour Vision Engineering office and factory.  The Queen got to view through a Mantis. 

http://www.visioneng.com/company-profile.php

Lawsen
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:28:10 am by Lawsen »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
If you want the best stereo microscope for working on electronics , nothing beats the Mantis.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
how much does that bad boy cost?
-Time

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Any good company lab has a Mantis, almost certainly the most common up market electronics magnifier on the market. I've spent many an hour soldering under those.
I just ordered myself a 2nd hand Olympus stereo magnifier for the EEVblog lab, as I no longer have access to the Mantis. 7x-40x with what looks like a good working distance.
Will see how it goes when I get it.

Dave.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
That cool Dave- hope we get a review! ;)

Offline insurgent

• Regular Contributor
how much does that bad boy cost?

Looks like the stand alone is $580!
The head unit is $1000+ and the objective lenses are $120-$450.

I just ordered 3 ;p

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Incredibly good boom mount stereo zoom microscope for incredible price
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:02:03 am »

I have a new x6 Mantis objective lens, but no mantis :-(
Works great as just a hand magnifier though

Dave.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:45 am »

I have a new x6 Mantis objective lens, but no mantis :-(
Works great as just a hand magnifier though

Dave.
I think  I paid around GBP£1000 for a new  Mantis Compact with one lens - you very occasionally see the older model on ebay for $4-600. x4 is about the right balance between magnification and field of view, which will just about fit a TQFP144 in view - any higher and the small FOV is too limiting, although a x6 may occasionally be useful for detail inspection (Dave - wanna sell?).
The key thing is that you have a decent working distance below the lens, and a small amount of '3d' effect as you move your head. The non-eyepeice design also means you can bump it around the working area with your forehead while your hands are full of soldering irons and tweezers.
Cheap large-lens magnifying lamps are fine for inspection but you just can't work under them.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:16 am »
x4 is about the right balance between magnification and field of view, which will just about fit a TQFP144 in view - any higher and the small FOV is too limiting, although a x6 may occasionally be useful for detail inspection (Dave - wanna sell?).

I've always used x4 for coarse work (with the big advantage of FOV as you say), and x8 for fine soldering (0402, <=0.5mm pitch) and inspection.
x4 I found wasn't a huge increase over normal eyesight, so often just used the x8 and lived with the smaller FOV.
The x6 lens will likely go on ebay once I get and prove this Olympus microscope.

Dave.

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »
Sorry, I'm kinda digging this thread up, but what was the verdict at the end?

Amscope, or a used Olympus (SZxxyy???) or the Mantis?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »
Sorry, I'm kinda digging this thread up, but what was the verdict at the end?

Amscope, or a used Olympus (SZxxyy???) or the Mantis?

If you want the best and can afford it, the Mantis totalaly rocks. Anything less & you'll have to try it yourself to see what works for you - different things suit different types of work and eyesight capabilities.  The main thing is enough room/access below the lens to be able to work.

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 01:21:21 am »
Thanks Mike.

Do I look at Compact or the Elite? I might be able to scrape some savings for the head, but their stands/arms are bloody expensive...

I read elsewhere here that people would solder at 4x and do inspection at 20x or so, but Compact would goes up to 8x and that's 59mm clearance, ick.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:19:06 am »
Thanks Mike.

Do I look at Compact or the Elite? I might be able to scrape some savings for the head, but their stands/arms are bloody expensive...

I read elsewhere here that people would solder at 4x and do inspection at 20x or so, but Compact would goes up to 8x and that's 59mm clearance, ick.
I have the compact which is the cheapest - not familiar with the higher end ones.
4x is fine for work and inspection - 6x would be the upper limit before FOV gets too small. 20x is way OTT unless you're into metallurgy - what you're mostly looking for is stuff like lifted pins and lack of solder, and x4 is fine for that.

As regards clearance, the Mantis is fine unless you have boards with very tall parts - the important thing is space at the side to get your hands/tools in at a decent angle - this is the failing of large circular  magnifying lamps

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »
How do you actually solder under the scope if you do?  

Do the fumes get inside lens assemblies eventually?  I have fume extraction system with two flexible arms but sometimes you just need a quick tack here and there without bothering to adjust them.

Would something like this be OK for daily use? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zeiss-DV-4-Stereo-Microscope-Made-Germany-NEW-/200599719680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4accf00
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:58:56 pm by Leo Bodnar »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
How do you actually solder under the scope if you do?  

Do the fumes get inside lens assemblies eventually?  I have fume extraction system with two flexible arms but sometimes you just need a quick tack here and there without bothering to adjust them.

Would something like this be OK for daily use? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zeiss-DV-4-Stereo-Microscope-Made-Germany-NEW-/200599719680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4accf00
It isn't a problem - the internals are sealed, and the lens pops off easily for an occasional clean - smoke doesn't seem to be an issue but you get the occasional gob of flux etc.. They do sell proteciton caps but these aren't really necessary

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:44 am »
Mike,

What's exactly inside the Mantis Compact or Elite, how much glass is in there? Does it have anything else, beside the fan and the lights?

I saw some photos on e(vil)Bay of the original Mantis and it looked like it had a big lens at the top and probably one or two below it. If that's it, what is so special about it?

Thanks.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »
Mike,

What's exactly inside the Mantis Compact or Elite, how much glass is in there? Does it have anything else, beside the fan and the lights?

I saw some photos on e(vil)Bay of the original Mantis and it looked like it had a big lens at the top and probably one or two below it. If that's it, what is so special about it?

Thanks.
Haven't investigated too far (compact) - you can see some mirrors & stuff through the hole when you take off the objective. There is no fan as light source is LEDs - could be older ones use halogen & need a fan but this probably wouldn't be hard to replace with  LEDs. Interestingly after a couple of years some of the LEDs went intermittent in a very odd self-oscillating mode. Eventally about a  third of them had died so I replaced all of them - just standard 5mm white ones.

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 11:47:04 pm »
Thanks again for the details.

Do you have any photos of your unit handy - I can not imagine what it looks like to look through it and VE does not have any videos showing actual image through it or approximation of?

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
Since this is a review forum and people get criticized for a positive review as the first post :P, let me add to the subject:

For an affordable stereo microscope that allows soldering, I'm very happy with my C2-D microscope from GX Optical (in US, they are called GT Vision). I paid about 230 UK pounds, including shipping. I bought a 0.5 objective too, so I have a choice of 5x and 10x magnification. I've never used the 10x yet, but that is the standard, the 5x is extra. Well, I guess that the day I need it, I will need it very badly.

Pros:
-Long focal length, leaves enough room for hands and tools
-Good optical quality, I have never felt that limited by that
-Makes my workbench look really professional. 8-)

Cons:
-Poor light. For soldering, you'll need additional lights. I put two cheap halogen clip lights on the boom, and now it is bright enough.
-the boom could be longer. So far, I've been able to get the target area to view, but I did need to remove one board from a chassis, as I couldn't push the opened chassis far enough under the microscope.
-The height adjustment is limited. There is no easy way to raise it by (say) 30cm, so that I could more easily inspect from an angle.
-Still on the expensive side. I considered Bresser IDC from TechGSM, but decided my old eyes need all the help, and I figured that eventually, I'll be happier with a presumably better unit. Your preferences and experiences may vary; if you try out the IDC, please let us know!

Overall score: 9+

[No links because I wrote this originally to format that does not render links, you have to Google the references by yourself.]
[I have no association other than a satisfied customer to any of the companies mentioned.]
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 10:49:43 am »
Reviving an old thread here, but I've searched the microscope threads and am still confused (overwhelmed actually) by the choices.

I'm looking for a reasonable stereo microscope to inspect boards and do some fine rework.  Is something like the following link suitable?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trinocular-Zoom-Microscope-Boom-Stand-54-LED-Light-/400453126566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3cddc9a6

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 01:21:47 pm »
I've been using one very similar for a few YEARS and absolutely love it. First opinion - get one with a DOUBLE boom arm !!
A heck of lot more stable (a friend bought a single boom and he hates me :-) ). As commented before, 3-10X is the most you'll ever need.
I also bought a hi-res camera for it, but you know I rarely use it now - too much reflection, shallow DOF. Just use it for documenting.
I had a very nice Olympus before, and NEVER use that now. I do HEAPS of work under it, especially with my old eyes :-)
Edit: GEEBUS that's a damn good shipping price, for the weight !
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:24:01 pm by digsys »
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf