Author Topic: Inexpensive source for heat-shrink covered jumper wires?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline tsmith35Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Inexpensive source for heat-shrink covered jumper wires?
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:27 am »
I've found that I have a preference for heat-shrink covered jumper wires, such as the ones from Schmartboard. They grab on shorter pins than the ones with plastic connectors, and they're less bulky.

The problem is, I've only found these sold by Schmartboard. And they're proud of 'em, so the pricing is pretty steep ($45 for 100 jumpers).

I've looked many places for heat-shrink covered jumper wires, but the cheap ones all seem to have plastic connectors. Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive jumper wires that use heat-shrink covered ends? F/F is normal for me, but F/M would also be useful. Given the number of EEVblog members, I'm sure someone has found a source.

Photos to demonstrate the difference...

Heat-shrink covered end first, plastic connector end next.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:25:37 am by tsmith35 »

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Inexpensive source for heat-shrink covered jumper wires?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:32:28 am »
I don't think I've ever seen them for sale with heatshrink on them.

But you can buy jumper wires with pre-crimped DuPont-style header sockets on either end without their plastic housings, and either just add heatshrink yourself or use them "naked" without insulation. When they're plugged onto a pin header they are held in place, so it should be pretty difficult to short them if not insulated.

http://www.protostack.com/cables/200mm-female-to-female-jumpers-without-housing-ribbon-of-40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40pcs-Dupont-Jumper-Cable-Wire-1P-Female-Pins-Connector-2-54mm-20cm-DIY-/121313372431

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 10:44:31 am »
Luke, thanks. Yeah, that's probably the best way to get there. Gotta dig out the heat gun, but a lot easier than terminating all those wires by hand AND heat-shrink too.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »
I have been buying Female Dupont connectors from ebay by the hundreds for a few bucks, skip the plastic Dupont connector sheath and you can make your own for pennies and some .22 wire.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »
I ended up getting a bunch of the 40pc 1P female jumpers without the plastic sheath. I'll just cut up some shrink and DIY. I thought about crimping them myself, but haven't had much time lately. It's lawn care season again... :) thanks to everyone for the help!

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 04:17:12 am »
You can get Schmartboard at Radio Shack and Fry's electronics. The Square type plastic jumpers are not good for test hook clips the round ones are :)

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 01:31:06 am »
So this suggestion is dependant on what your time is worth and how many you want.

But, a lot of these people selling this stuff are from Shenzhen.  From experience, you can get pretty much anything in Shenzhen, if it's not off the shelf then someone will happily take your money (for a westerner it's generally peanuts) and make it for you.  All you have to do is ask.

With eBay this is all a bit difficult but if you jump over to aliexpress or the like, find someone selling close to what you want and send them a message with a picture of exactly what you're after (their english is likely to be very poor) and a qty that makes it worth their while, most of the time you'll get what you want.

In the markets in Shenzhen you can ask someone if they have a particular thing, often the answer is no.  However, if you say it with a smile, they'll usually have it for you within a couple of minutes.

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 05:15:25 am »
Not sure where you are in the US, but in Vancouver (BC, Canada), Lee's Electronics (on Main St.) sells them by the bagful for a few bucks.
Male or female ends.
Great for Arduinos/breadboarding
Not sure if they're listed on their website.
**Edit-oops* just noticed you wanted HS ends only..Lee's has the plastic ends**
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:20:34 am by Teledog »

Online John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 03:01:21 pm »
Why not just buy the cheap ones with plastic connectors, pop off the plastic shell and stick heatshrink on there?

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:12:38 pm »
That is a very good Suggestion :) I just tested taking the plastic casing of one and they work very well with the EZ-Hook I have.
I have a set of 40 without case coming. They cost me only $2 shipped, I don't know how they can be that cheap. :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 03:37:52 am »
Casinada, same here with EZ Hooks. I have a ton of them, but they don't work great with the Dupont shells in place. No shell, and they work great.

So I bought a bunch of bare jumpers without plastic on the connectors. A couple yards of heat-shrink, and I'll have enough jumpers for a long time. :)

Chinese factory labor rates are something like $1.35/hr, so $2 per 40 wires represents a pretty decent profit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf