Author Topic: Is my Philips PE 1644 DC-power supply broken or am I doing it wrong? *Solved*  (Read 11123 times)

Offline jenslabsTopic starter

Last week I bought a used 40V - 10A Philips PE 1644 power supply. Yesterday when I got around to test it it was a big disappointment when it didn't work, or at least not as I expected. Now I need some help to figure out if it is broken or not.

When I flip the power switch the volt meter on the front of the power supply twitches towards the negative and then stays at 0 while the power is turned on. When I turn the power off again the voltmeter goes up to +2V then slowly goes down towards 0 again. Here is a video of the scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BbbHLzZ0k&feature=youtu.be

On the back of the power supply there is a jumper panel where you can enable different features like "remote sensing, operation in series or parallel, master/slave etc." according to about the only information on this power supply that i have been able to dig up.

http://www.helmut-singer.com/pdf/phpe1642ser.pdf

When I was trying to figure out what was wrong I found that I can get a voltage between 0-15 that is controlled by the Voltage knob on the front of the power supply from one of the jumper ports. However since I have no manual I have not been able to figure out how to "properly" connect jumper cables to achieve normal operations e.g. the power outlet on the front can be used and the knobs and meters on the front of the power supply works. I have attached a picture of the jumper connections.

So is anyone familiar with this power supply or some other similar one that can help med with some tips on figuring out if it is broken or not. Perhaps there is even someone out there that might have an old manual. I am grateful for any help or tip I can get.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:40:17 pm by jenslabs »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
Re: Is my Philips PE 1644 DC-power supply broken or am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »
It almost acts as if the current limiter is engaging. My Philips power supply (a different one) goes slightly negative too in that case.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:07 pm »
Perhaps there is jumper needed to set the current limiter to work with the knobs, or the current limiting function is broken. As you can see in the video both current and voltage knobs are turned up so the current limiting should not kick in with those settings according to me.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
I saw that in the video (I also saw that your DMM fell :)). I checked a manual for your supply that I could find on the web, but nothing obvious in there.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »
I found a manual for a power supply from the same PE 16** family, I don't have time to dig though it now but I will post it anyway to add it to the thread.

http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/Philips/pe1647.pdf

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:39:38 pm »
Problem solved.

I finally found the operations manual for the PE1644/PE1642 power supplies and there it was clearly stated that for normal operations jumpers should be connected between the following ports.

10-11
12-13
15-16
18-19
19-20

Here is a link to the operations manual: http://jenslabs.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/pe1644_om_philips_en.pdf

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
Philips PE1646 power supply
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 04:18:51 pm »
Hi,
Does somebody have service manual with values of components for power supply
PE1646? I need to know value of resistor R223 which open darlington BD650.
I enclose picture as part of scheme.

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
It seems to be trouble with current limiter, current potentiometer is broken, value 33 Ohm
is relevant? The power supply has negative voltage -0.6V on output and reversive current
throw ampermeter, The board scheme is not reachable?

Offline mate886

From the PE1647 manual:

Those are power resistors right?

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
Is somewhere writen about  4-terminal shunt resistor for these suplies?
The ampermeter sensing current and power terminals are short circuited.

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
Yes, the fault is in sensing terminals on shunt resistor. The output had problematic capacitor, but main error is with sensing current.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
where's a schematic with all the values ??

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
does anybody have board scheme??

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
there is wild voltage on A` or B` pins

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
pin C is 1.8V

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
OVP = -7.5V supply regulates voltage 0-75V
OVP < -7.5V ... -7.4V error LED and voltage goes down to -0.6V
the current potentiometer is on
ampermeter has negative value

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
supply is switched on, current LED shining, turn right current potentiometer, current LED
is off and error LED is on, main transformer get noise ?? What is wrong with supply??

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
I hope that main error is with R213  2K5 and R212 150K, which produce unstability of this supply

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
The power thyristor BTW40 400R has broken gate! The main cap was replaced. The supply regulates voltage, but current works till 3,5A
and then switches FAULT LED, soft current knob on null switched current LED and negative -0.6V on output :(

Offline swedgin

Can I fix this transformer from my 1646 power supply? It's T21, the one who provides the rail voltages (?).

220V arrives at the primary, but no voltages (<0.5V) are measured on the secondary.

Offline david69

• Regular Contributor
Hello, There was broken power thyristor in rectifier! But current limiter is going up to
5A, then is switched FAULT LED ? I suppose that should be 6A on full power,,,, ??

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf