Author Topic: Is there a sheath for the TS100 that will allow me to hold it like a pen?  (Read 5986 times)

Offline synopticaTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi all!

I've just picked up a TS100 soldering iron - I'm still amazed at how awesome this is for such a cheap bit of kit!

I'm afflicted by a mild essential tremor - not really anything that gives me any grief in my daily life but it makes soldering a nightmare.  When you consider how far back you hold an iron from a tip, a mild tremor at the hand can turn into a massive swing at the tip of the iron!

The TS100 helps out here a bit with a shorter distance from handle to tip, as well as the ability to hold the handle much lower down, but I still struggle with anything more than standard THT.

If  I'm able to rest my wrist on a surface, I pretty much have full control of whatever I'm holding.  If I could hold the iron more like a pen, I reckon I could manage to solder SMD.  I thought I read that a sheath for exactly this exists.

I've looked around, but either this doesn't exist, or I'm not using the correct search terms.  Does anyone know if something like what I'm describing exists?

Thanks in advance!  :-+

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:37:40 am by synoptica »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
You may be able to get something 3d printed, it's worth searching for models.

One thing I did on mine was to add a PTFE washer around the flange at the top of the element. It may not get you much closer to the tip, but does at least form a positive stop for your fingertips so that you can hold it as far down the handle as possible.....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ts100-soldering-iron-test/msg1343465/#msg1343465

You might also be able to fabricate something (a thin tube or can with the bottom drilled out) to fit on that same flange.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:12:11 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
Maybe this is something?
It's an adapter that allows the use of hakko T12 tips but also allows you to fit an hakko grip that allows you to grip closer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739632

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Maybe this is something?
It's an adapter that allows the use of hakko T12 tips but also allows you to fit an hakko grip that allows you to grip closer.

Has anyone actually made/used that adapter?  All that extra length with the T12 tip makes it look like trying to solder with a yardstick. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline xavkno

• Contributor
Maybe this is something?

Has anyone actually made/used that adapter?  All that extra length with the T12 tip makes it look like trying to solder with a yardstick.
If you look at it's comments the designer of the model has used it and says it's comfortable

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Maybe this is something?

If you look at it's comments the designer of the model has used it and says it's comfortable

I would expect the designer to say it's comfortable. ;D  What I truly don't understand is why people buy inexpensive soldering irons and spend all kinds of time and effort to modify and improve them.  My time is worth something.  If I spend $60 on a TS-100, then have to buy a power supply for $20, then spend who knows how much time designing/improving 3D printed adapters to use better tips (on a 3D printer I had to spend extra money for) to make the iron more useful/comfortable to use, then I am at the point of money/time invested that I could justify the cost of a Pace ADS-200 or a Hakko FX-951

As an example of useful time spent, I wanted an alternative to a $200 calibration tool for a piece of company deployed equipment.  The company probably wasn't going to spend that amount each for all the techs across the country. Time spent on emails to the manufacturer's engineer with ideas/questions-10 minutes.  Scrap wood left over from house projects- free.  About an hour, maybe a little more of company time on my compound miter saw and table saw to make 2 of them, including time spent checking to see if the fitment was right, making adjustments and taking pictures with measurements to send to my fellow techs in my state program if they wanted to make their own.  As a side note, this calibration routine can be done without the tool.  I find it awkward to do so and have had to repeat the routine to actually get it right.  With this tool, it's easier and faster to run the routine.  Under $50 time and material--time well spent.  The above with the TS-100 adapter, maybe not so much.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
Maybe this is something?

I would expect the designer to say it's comfortable. ;D  What I truly don't understand is why people buy inexpensive soldering irons and spend all kinds of time and effort to modify and improve them.  My time is worth something.  If I spend $60 on a TS-100, then have to buy a power supply for $20, then spend who knows how much time designing/improving 3D printed adapters to use better tips (on a 3D printer I had to spend extra money for) to make the iron more useful/comfortable to use, then I am at the point of money/time invested that I could justify the cost of a Pace ADS-200 or a Hakko FX-951

As an example of useful time spent, I wanted an alternative to a $200 calibration tool for a piece of company deployed equipment.  The company probably wasn't going to spend that amount each for all the techs across the country. Time spent on emails to the manufacturer's engineer with ideas/questions-10 minutes.  Scrap wood left over from house projects- free.  About an hour, maybe a little more of company time on my compound miter saw and table saw to make 2 of them, including time spent checking to see if the fitment was right, making adjustments and taking pictures with measurements to send to my fellow techs in my state program if they wanted to make their own.  As a side note, this calibration routine can be done without the tool.  I find it awkward to do so and have had to repeat the routine to actually get it right.  With this tool, it's easier and faster to run the routine.  Under $50 time and material--time well spent.  The above with the TS-100 adapter, maybe not so much.

Depending on where are you from, buying a reputable brand is outta question - either the official representative costs are way too high, or they lack several modern models. Depending on the size/weight the shipping costs/taxes make it a no-go too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf