Author Topic: Is this real (ATTEN 858D)  (Read 7478 times)

Offline GreyerstingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
Is this real (ATTEN 858D)
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »
Is this real?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTEN-AT-858D-SMD-Hot-Air-Rework-Station-Solder-220V-/310539474247
It looks exactly like the one Dave uses (which I couldn't find anywhere else except here) but it is really cheap.  Is it fake?
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline casper.bang

• Frequent Contributor
  • Pro SE, amateur EE.
    • BangBits
Re: Is this real (ATTEN 858D)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
Yes they are that cheap. You can also get a combined rework + soldering station for about the double. Been thinking of getting such once, since unfortunately I can't get a Hakko 888D with 230V at a reasonable price here in Europe.

Offline jshonw

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:57:59 pm »
Make sure you get one that operates on the correct mains voltage for your country.

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »
I got min from AliExpress. I checked the insides, no problems at all. Price was $31.99 at the time.
But shipping was slow as **** :P

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:26:43 am »
I have one and it works great for reworking SMT and shrinking 'Schrumpfschlauch'. I wouldn't bother with a cheap soldering iron though. I've got an Ayoue station (SMT pliers) but the tips are beyond useless. Get something decent like a (second hand) Ersa or JBC.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
Is this real (ATTEN 858D)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:58:46 am »
I have heard good things about Weller, Hakko, Pace, Metcal, and some JBC stations. Haven't owned any personally though. But compared to an Atten that second hand ersa is an absolute steal!
/s
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:26 pm »
re: "Is this real?"

If you ever run across a cheap knock off of an Atten, you'd better run the other way as fast as you can.  :-DD

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »
Yihua do a Hakko 936 soldering station clone for $15.
Hobbyking have US, AU and EU stock at the correct voltages and they are good to deal with.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=soldering

The price on the rework stations are coming down slowly.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »
Yes, its been that cheap, but IIRC from others who bought it, there are 4 gotchas.

The 110V version tends to cost more.  They make more 220V for local consumption, so its cheaper.
The shipping, if its not EMS,  often takes > 1 mo, and there is a small chance it will get lost.
The item can be received damaged during shipping, if its not EMS, less so if EMS.
Products made for local consumption have iffiest quality control, so the parts and workmanship tend to be very low.

If you're in the USA, I suggest you check this vendor who sells the 110V version and a few of them ship from the USA, you have Amazon as extra protection and vendor rating has been good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/WEP-858D-Soldering-Station-Suitable/dp/B0055B6NGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382118365&sr=8-1&keywords=858d
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:50:51 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline GreyerstingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics noob
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 03:36:14 am »
Yes, its been that cheap, but IIRC from others who bought it, there are 4 gotchas.

The 110V version tends to cost more.  They make more 220V for local consumption, so its cheaper.
The shipping, if its not EMS,  often takes > 1 mo, and there is a small chance it will get lost.
The item can be received damaged during shipping, if its not EMS, less so if EMS.
Products made for local consumption have iffiest quality control, so the parts and workmanship tend to be very low.

If you're in the USA, I suggest you check this vendor who sells the 110V version and a few of them ship from the USA, you have Amazon as extra protection and vendor rating has been good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/WEP-858D-Soldering-Station-Suitable/dp/B0055B6NGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382118365&sr=8-1&keywords=858d

Why would the 220v be cheaper?  Also thanks for the link.
Contact-
Greyersting2@gmail.com

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:33:08 am »
Maybe its because most parts in the world use 220V to 240V.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 08:18:00 am »
Is this real?
It looks exactly like the one Dave uses (which I couldn't find anywhere else except here) but it is really cheap.  Is it fake?

Price was $31.99 at the time.

They are all around 55-65$, free shipping. Because China. Since buyers not accustomed to China merchandise (from eBay, AliExpress, DealExtreme) expect to pay a decent amount for shipping (15-20$), China considered splitting the total cost in a "reallistic" shipping cost. Some sellers go for 40$+20$ shipping, others for 30$ price + 30$ shipping, whatever works and thus makes the product look cheaper (e.g. 30$ instead of 60$). Bear in mind though, even if shipping cost is 30$, it's not DHL Express, it's China Post, it WILL take weeks and it DOES cost 2-5$ for them to ship it.
So when you actually buy a "30$" hot air station (and pay 30$ for S&H), don't be amazed if 2 weeks later it hasn't arrived, there's no tracking number and the seller responds in Chinglish. What you actually bought is a 55$ hot air station and paid 2$ for S&H. So expect 2$ worth of customer service. Now don't get me wrong, I love China and the cheap stuff, but be sure you know what you're paying for, be it product or shipping.

Offline Robgo

• !
    • http://www.hotairreworkstation.com
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 09:31:53 am »
ATTEN products can be that cheap because they have cheap labors in China making these tools.

Offline NYG

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:50:15 pm »
Is there any significant difference, quality or performance wise between these cheap units with the small fan in the handle, or the units with a diaphragm pump in the base?

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 09:37:29 pm »
Got mine from Sureelectronics (china). Did not arrive. Kept me on the wire untill the ebay/paypal period expired. Had to pay extra to get it finally delivered. The way they send it also implied customs and extra handling charges. Not exactly cheap...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf