Author Topic: JBC Compact soldering stations  (Read 9134 times)

Offline WrongwayTopic starter

• Contributor
JBC Compact soldering stations
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:50 am »
I am looking at getting a JBC soldering station, one of the compact line.  There seems to be two distributers here in the UK.  One is Kaisertech and the other Vtech SMT Ltd.  The Kaisertech one is shown as a model CD-2BC whereas the Vtech one is CD-2BB, Vtech being £20 cheaper.  The only other difference I can see is the two tip cartridges suppled are different.  I know the 2 part of the model number is for UK voltage whereas a 1 would indicate US voltage.  I had read some control units lack the USB connector for firmware upgrades etc. and was wondering if this was the difference.  I can't seem to find out from JBC's website.

Also the lower powered CD-2SB station.  Does that have the same control unit and is just supplied with a lower powered handpiece/cartridge.  I am thinking for very fine work I could just add a T210-A handpiece and suitable cartridge.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: JBC Compact soldering stations
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
Interesting, I've been considering a JBC too and been doing very similar research.  I believe the CD-2BB was replaced by the CD-2BC, which adds in the USB port amongst other small changes, the 2BB model does appear in the discontinued tech area of the JBC website ( http://www.jbctools.com/discontinued.php )  The Kaisertech details do tally with JBC's own site in terms of cartridges etc., so it seems one website is more current than the other.

Reading the manual for the 2BC version, and looking at the website, it does appear it can take either the T245 or T210 hand piece.  The 2SB control unit is stated as lower power, so the 2BC would seem to be the choice with a 2nd hand piece to have the best of both.

Having typed this, I think I'm getting closer to a purchase myself.....

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:05:39 am »
I believe the CD-2BB was replaced by the CD-2BC, which adds in the USB port
This is all that's different between the two models, and IMHO, the USB and related features (code) aren't really useful for a hobbyist anyway. So if you can find the older CD-xBB unit at a good price, I say go for it (discontinued, and sellers will discount to get rid of remaining stock).   ;)

The control unit can work with either the T245 or T210 hand pieces, but you might want to try the T245 first with both PTH and SMD before ordering/adding the T210 hand piece. T245 may be all you need, particularly if you're not working with crazy small packages under a microscope all the time. Will save a fair bit of funds too (iron + 210 series tips), if this proves to be the case for your usage.

Hope this helps.  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:15 am »
Thank's jc101 and nanofrog.  I had just about realised the BC unit was an update and the main difference was the USB part.  Unfortunately with such a very ,imiteddearship here in the UK, VTech who are still advertising the discontinued model are only £20 cheaper than Kaisertech who are advertising the latest one.  I am definitely thinking of ordering one of the newer models jc101.  I will probably end up sticking with the T245 hand piece because, as you say, there is a very wide variety of tips available.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
...the discontinued model are only £20 cheaper than Kaisertech who are advertising the latest one.
Not a big discount, that's for sure. Might be enough to get another tip though, so just an alternate way to think about that 20GBP.  ;)

Might also want to take a look at http://www.janelonline.com/. They sell internationally (= carry the 230V models), and may come in cheaper (excellent prices in the US, and even with shipping, may be a better deal). Worth a look before buying IMHO.  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »
Just a followup.  I ordered a JBC CD-2BC today from Kaisertech, it should arrive tomorrow.  I have a bit of money left over after holiday.
I did look seriously at Janelonline Nanofrog, but when I paid import duty and vat the cost was within £10 of price over here.  I would have liked the JBC modular system for both expandability and a better footprint but just couldn't justify the large extra cost for almost the same pec.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
Just a followup.  I ordered a JBC CD-2BC today from Kaisertech, it should arrive tomorrow.  I have a bit of money left over after holiday.
I did look seriously at Janelonline Nanofrog, but when I paid import duty and vat the cost was within £10 of price over here.  I would have liked the JBC modular system for both expandability and a better footprint but just couldn't justify the large extra cost for almost the same pec.
8) Should serve you well.  :)

Wasn't sure how much the import duties would affect pricing, but it's good to know Janel compared.

Offline ffloz

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 09:26:16 am »
Does anybody know how JBC compact stations are bound to their handpiece?

Is it possible, for example, to buy CF station (with solder feed gun) and use standard T245A handpiece, from time to time?

Connectors looks same and both C245 and C130 cartridges has equal heat power.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:16:51 am »
At least, it's not possible to use tweezers on the 2bb, different connector, and I guess that it supplies power differently..

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:36 pm »
Does anybody know how JBC compact stations are bound to their handpiece?

Is it possible, for example, to buy CF station (with solder feed gun) and use standard T245A handpiece, from time to time?

Connectors looks same and both C245 and C130 cartridges has equal heat power.
The station uses an iron connector, and so long as it fits, I should think so based on systems engineering.

Generally speaking, take a look at the manual for the particular unit you're looking at, as I've seen other models show hand piece options in it not listed on JBC's product web page (i.e. T245 model will work with a T210 and vise versa).

Given it's the Feed model though, it may technically still work, but not listed due to the stand portion being incompatible mechanically (wouldn't be fully functional with sleep/setback features), and IIRC, there's no provision to connect up a separate stand without modifying the station with a connector (expensive experiment if it doesn't work).

Offline ffloz

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:02 am »
Thank you for the answers.

JBC Catalog 2008 (for previous generation of compact stations "Singles") says that they are not compatible.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/images/Catalog%20JBC%2008.pdf

Modern catalogs and manuals doesn't say anything.

Wiring of a JBC Stand is simple (can't even imagine why they are so expencive),
a good research is here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/jbc-soldering-iron-stand-wiring/

There must be something else...  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:11:26 am by ffloz »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 07:44:25 pm »
Thank you for the answers.

JBC Catalog 2008 (for previous generation of compact stations "Singles") says that they are not compatible.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/images/Catalog%20JBC%2008.pdf
Are you looking at a new one or used?

Either way, I wouldn't expect anything to be listed as compatible with the CF models due to the stand portion is incompatible with any other iron, even though it's the same control circuits.

But if you're willing to modify, could be made to work (it should be relatively easy actually; there's a wire that connects the metal part of the stand that contacts the iron to the PCB; circuit is completed when the iron is inserted to activate setback/sleep features). Separate/modular units use a connector to accomplish this. Take a look for teardown pics and videos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Manuals of the modular line would help slightly as well (shows the connector and wire between the base and stand).

Modern catalogs and manuals doesn't say anything.
CD-BD manual (.pdf). This is the current model, and can use the T210, T245, or T470 series irons, which can be found on pages 10 & 11.

(can't even imagine why they are so expencive)
They all are at this price point unfortunately.

Combination of relatively small production, what/how they're made (then hit with a nice markup). For example, imagine cast aluminum parts that require assembly with other bits on a small scale, likely being primarily hand operations (not as likely to be heavily automated like the casting & assembly operations for automobile engines).

Cheaper ones may actually be plastic/rubber or just stamped metal. As a result, they tend not to weigh as much, and aren't as stable.

Offline ffloz

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 09:48:29 am »
Excellent! Thank you very much!
Now it is all clear.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:28:20 pm by ffloz »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »
Excellent! Thank you very much!
Now it is all clear.
You're welcome.  :)

BTW, if you go into your user settings, and set your country, it will make things a lot easier for members to help (displays your national flag). Particularly when posting links, so they're relevant to your location as well as pricing.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:06 am »
CD-BD manual (.pdf). This is the current model, and can use the T210, T245, or T470 series irons, which can be found on pages 10 & 11.

What's the difference between BC and BD?, Between BB and BC it was primarily USB and some green parts, but I can't see any difference between BC and the BD?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:25 am »

What's the difference between BC and BD?, Between BB and BC it was primarily USB and some green parts, but I can't see any difference between BC and the BD?
Not sure either.  Added software feature/s maybe?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf