Author Topic: JBC soldering station  (Read 3251 times)

Offline drileyTopic starter

JBC soldering station
« on: March 28, 2018, 06:27:10 am »
Over the years I've gone from a hand-me-down plain soldering iron, to a Weller WLC-100, and am currently using an Hakko FX-888D.  I'm finding it a bit lacking, so was planning to upgrade.  I was originally considering the Hakko FX-951, but after watching a few videos, I've decided to go for a JBC.  I'm not particular cost averse, and would rather get an iron which I likely won't need to replace anytime soon.

I'm currently leaning between three options:
JBC CD-1BE
JBC DI-1D (or more likely DIT-1D with extra tip)
JBC DDE-1B (along with stand, cleaning system, handle, tips)

At this point, I was just going to get a T245 handle and tips regardless of which option I go.

The DI-1D gives me options down the road if I want to try tweezers, and the DDE-1B gives me future flexibility with dual tools, and potentially more power and perhaps a more power UI.  Right now CD-1BE is likely sufficient, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up wanting tweezers in the future and it's a lot more cost effective to do that with the DI-1D or DDE-1B.

Questions:
1. Can I use the PA120 in the future with the DI-1D without getting a separate PA-SD and instead just use the existing AD-SD stand?
2. Does anyone know if the DIT-1D comes with CL8499 (newer) or or CL9885 (older) cleaner?  JBC's website shows CL8499 (http://www.jbctools.com/dit-1d--product-903-category-1-menu-1.htm) but Tequipment's shows Cl9885 (https://www.tequipment.net/JBC/DIT-1D/Soldering-Stations/?v=0)
3. Are there any other benefits of going for either the DI-1D or DDE-1B?  In particular, is having two tools really useful?  Or any other standout features to make DDE-1B worth the premium?
4. What do people think in general? 

I'm currently leaning towards DI-1D since it seems to offer the best compromise in terms of my needs today and what I would realistically use in the future.

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
Re: JBC soldering station
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:09:10 pm »
Questions:
1. Can I use the PA120 in the future with the DI-1D without getting a separate PA-SD and instead just use the existing AD-SD stand?

No that's not possible, the tools (and the stands) have different connectors.

3. Are there any other benefits of going for either the DI-1D or DDE-1B?
In particular, is having two tools really useful?
I own a DME-2A and I find it very handy to have the possibility
to work with multiple tools nearly at the same time.

At the moment there are four tools connected with the station:
- The T245 with a larger cartridge for normal through hole soldering
- The T210 with a small cartridge for SMD work
- The PA120 micro tweezers for desoldering of SMD parts
and the large DR560 desoldering Iron for desoldering
of through hole parts.

Offline eyiz

• Regular Contributor
Re: JBC soldering station
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:12:38 pm »
Questions:

Technically, you can. JBC now offers an adapter part # CHB-A, that allows you to attach the T245 or T210 etc..directly to the DI-1D without requiring the AD-SD stand.

https://www.jbctools.com/chb-a-converter-product-1209-category-9-menu-1.html

They don't have such an adapter for the "MicroTweezers" PA120 at the moment, but obviously, you could build one yourself, if you figure out the wiring.

The mechanical form factor differences between the straight handpiece T245 and the Microtweezers PA120, however, makes it difficult to use the AD-SD stand for resting the PA120 down. You'll have to find some other DIY method for putting the PA120 down.

I don't like the PA-SD stand, because JBC went the cheap route and used grey "conductive paint" instead of the same nice piece of silver color metal surface they used in the AD-SD stand. And both stands are the same price.

JBC put a lot of pride and work into the T245/AD-SD as it's their flagship product. So, that's a really nice tool. But the MicroTweezers is an afterthought. There are many things about the PA120 that suggests improvements are likely coming down the line in the future.

The PA120 does work though.

2. Does anyone know if the DIT-1D comes with CL8499 (newer) or or CL9885 (older) cleaner?  JBC's website shows CL8499

I can't say what you'll get, if ordering from Tequipment.net. You'll have to check with them. I had a similar concern when I ordered my unit from Janelonline. At that time Janel was showing the DIT-1B pic and I wanted the latest DIT-1D, so I requested verification from Janel, and they assured me I'd get the latest, which I got.  Janel doesn't stock these units anymore, which I believe is because JBC has been making too many changes too quickly to this particular product, so if you order this unit from Janel you'll always get the latest, because it will immediately be a backorder.

3. Are there any other benefits of going for either the DI-1D or DDE-1B?  In particular, is having two tools really useful?  Or any other standout features to make DDE-1B worth the premium?

I like the DIT-1D because it's a smaller unit, and takes up less space on my workbench.

However, it delivers a max of 130 Watts to the T245 handpiece, while the DDE-1B delivers a max of 150 Watts per tool on each channel.

Not that I ever needed that extra 20 Watts, just a fact to be aware of.

Also, I have lots of tools hooked up on the same mains circuit, so the DIT-1D helps to keep by total wattage down, which is another consideration.

There's always some balancing act in getting these tools.

4. What do people think in general? 

I'm currently leaning towards DI-1D since it seems to offer the best compromise in terms of my needs today and what I would realistically use in the future.

You'll definitely be happy with the DI-1D. The bigger brother  DDE-1B only adds marginal functionality, at the cost of grabbing a lot more benchspace, chewing up more mains power, and you only have two hands, one to hold the tool and one to hold the component, anyway. Whatever you plug into your DI-1D will fire up in a few "seconds", so there's no long warm up time to worry about in switching tools, by pluging out and plugging in another tool.

But, hey, it's all about personal preference.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf