Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: Keeping yourself "Nice" - workbench tidying, storage and management  (Read 390 times)

Online beanflying

• Regular Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
 Find yourself the recipient of comments from S.O. mates or random visitors to your cave about "how do you work in this mess" or "if you cleaned up once in a while you would be able to find it"  :palm:

Not so much for those in squeaky clean cal labs or for those with an OCD complex (clearly neither group would understand) but more for those of us who fight to keep it clean once in a while  ::)

Discuss or Drop some photos here of your bench and racks, storage, jigs and tools to help keep the mess at bay. I want to know  :-+

No discussions of throwing ANYTHING out or SELLING and or BURNING is welcome here  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Online beanflying

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keeping yourself "Nice" - workbench tidying, storage and management
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
Mmm I searched for workbench threads and it didn't turn up work-bench it seems but it wouldn't cross mine or most peoples minds to search for for a start |O

Not a fan of running parallel threads either but rather than 120 pages of show off your bench and the gear you own which it seems that thread does well. As I stated above this was more about how to keep it clean and show off the good bits of your bench which is the intention, nothing really to do with the gear.

Unless it is a gratuitous shot of my fairly new Lindstrom cutters with my bench screwdrivers in their Acrylic holder 8)

But it is about the holder really and how to keep the bench clean and your gear stowed.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Is that a coffee machine in arm's reach? And professional alcohol. Not just the kid's stuff.

Online beanflying

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
That would be my 'spare' 3grp Izzo Lever coffee machine and Grinder  8)

I recently purchased a makeup holder and set of drawers too :-DD Getting in touch with my .......

I then broke out the Dremel and cut it to pieces so the vertical bits reached the bench.

Online capt bullshot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
To stay on topic:

Usually I prefer to clean up the mess I made on my workbench to some extent (rather lowish standard in terms of wife, GF, boss, whatever ...) after finishing some work. The picture may give an idea of what the bench looks like a few days after cleaning up.
Too much stuff on the bench make me feel uncomfortable - because there's no space to put something in order to start working with it.
A clean desk makes me feel more uncomfortable - because it's sterile
Some things like equipment have defined places to sit, other stuff just gets stuffed into all kind of boxes, coarsely sorted by purpose. For example I've got a "power electronics junk box", it contains IGBT modules, DC-Link capacitors and related, a "heat sink" box also containing some enclosures and bigger resistors, a "big mess of cables and wiring" box (actually more than one box), an uC dev board box, ...
Smaller components are coarsely sorted into assortment boxes of various kinds (https://www.google.de/search?q=sortierkasten)

At my home lab, I've just finished to build new shelves to put all the equipment and parts and junk boxes into, moving stuff from basement to there is in progress.
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/msg1341145/#msg1341145
There will be some kind of workbench in front of the shelves.

One problem is common to all places I ever had for my workbench (no matter if at home or at work): Electronics stuff is like an ideal gas - it occupies all avaliable space in no time. With one major drawback: It isn't compressible like an ideal gas.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:06:23 PM by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:54 AM »
Is that a coffee machine in arm's reach? And professional alcohol. Not just the kid's stuff.
Hey BF are you the same BF that's on a not snobby aussie coffee forum?
3 group izzo lever where's the drool emoji! you don't have a spare lever group hanging around that would fit a CMA boiler do you?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:44:32 AM by noidea »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
The trick is to find a fixed place for everything and throw away whatever is less expensive than the cost of the storage space it needs. I keep every project (hobby or professional) in a tray or container. IKEA has cheap containers and an online store.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online beanflying

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
Hey BF are you the same BF that's on a not snobby aussie coffee forum?
3 group izzo lever where's the drool emoji! you don't have a spare lever group hanging around that would fit a CMA boiler do you?

Part way into cleaning my bench but alas no spare 'unattached' Astoria lever groups were found, there may be some others apart from the Izzo however  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf