Author Topic: JBC Soldering station buzzing  (Read 2058 times)

Offline WrongwayTopic starter

• Contributor
JBC Soldering station buzzing
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:22:02 am »
I have had a JBC CD-2BC soldering station for a few years now. When turned on what I assume is the transformer has quite a buzz to it. I think it's always been there but might be a bit worse. Once about 5 feet away from it I can't notice it. But on a quiet bench beside me it's quite noticeable. I know there are a few people with this setup on this forum so do you get the same buzz as I have nothing to compare it with.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: JBC Soldering station buzzing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »
I have had a JBC CD-2BC soldering station for a few years now. When turned on what I assume is the transformer has quite a buzz to it. I think it's always been there but might be a bit worse. Once about 5 feet away from it I can't notice it. But on a quiet bench beside me it's quite noticeable. I know there are a few people with this setup on this forum so do you get the same buzz as I have nothing to compare it with.

If you're comfortable enough around mains powered devices  to avoid anything stupid, a mains rated 1000V style insulated screw driver upside down and press the handle into the plastic mounting bracket (not hard enough to cause you to slip).

If you can alter the hum it's the plastic bracket which you can try tightening. If the transformer you can try subtly compressing the laminates with a few thin bolts and washers with several nuts. Turn the power off and disconnect it before you mess with it too much otherwise this happens.

(image removed)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:04:59 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:08:05 pm »
Thank's. I was wondering initially if it was normal and everyones is like that or I had a problem transformer. I did open it after seeing one of Dave's videos on YouTube, and tightened up the bracket in case it was that. But it didn't seem to make any difference so I put it down to the laminations. I did notice holes in the laminations, presumably mounting holes. Is this where you meant for trying nuts, bolts and washers?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:39:10 pm »
Thank's. I was wondering initially if it was normal and everyones is like that or I had a problem transformer. I did open it after seeing one of Dave's videos on YouTube, and tightened up the bracket in case it was that. But it didn't seem to make any difference so I put it down to the laminations. I did notice holes in the laminations, presumably mounting holes. Is this where you meant for trying nuts, bolts and washers?

Before I forget, move it to another location directly into the wall as it could be induced noise or line hum etc, turn off mobile phones and fluro lights, tubes, switching supplies etc.

It may have welds so don't tighten too much it's just to see if pressure alters it. If it's welded it means the lamination will have continuity at that spot. The idea is, if you have a bolt running through the lamination you use an insulated sleeve and nylon or fiber type washers as it improves the performance of the transformer.

I should have explained that more clearly, I was actually suggesting making an improvised clamp for the outside of the transformer with a thin bolt, 4 nuts and 2 washers. You can use insulation tape or card stock as a temporary insulator and move the clamp about the transformer if you needed to.

Inserting card between the windings and the core can eliminate another common source of the vibration, just go easy and as I said keep the power off and it unplugged. There is proper insulating card you can buy if you need but I've only ever used it salvaged from switching supplies (not to be confused with RFI/EMI shields).
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:44 pm »
I'll try repositioning it but to be honest it's not too bad.`as I say if I walk about about 3 - 5 feet away I cant hear it. If it gets worse I will see if I can get another transformer. I was initially interested to see if it's the norm.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf