Author Topic: Klein Tools MM200 Multimeter  (Read 21862 times)

Offline FenderBenderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
Klein Tools MM200 Multimeter
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:44:20 am »
So I bought this meter for $49 at Home Depot. I really didn't know what I was going to get, but my curiosity was getting the best of me and needed another meter pronto.

So pros and cons...

Pros-

1.) Good feel to it
2.) Auto-ranging
3.) Decent looking (Agilent copiers *cough*)
4.) Lots of functionality (temperature, capacitance etc.)
5.) Reasonable internal build quality
6.) Excellent range switch
7.) Backlight
8.) Good test leads and included K-type thermocouple

Cons-

1.) It seems it was not properly calibrated from the factory (Edit: I have posted below showing you which potentiometers adjust what range.)
2.) Crap battery
3.) A little overpriced? (Still making up my mind)

EDIT: Sorry some of the photos are tilted. I might get to that later.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:08:43 pm by FenderBender »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Klein Tools MM200 Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:29 am »
1.) Inaccurate- I compared it to some of my other meters and it constantly reads low. So if my other 3 meters read a 9V battery as 8.45V, it measured around 8.2-8.3V. I tested it on many different voltage sources

Thanks for sharing.  I'm always interested in seeing what the insides look like.

My method is far from scientific and I don't have any fancy  power equipment and/or calibration, but I recently gathered up my 3 multimeters and hooked them up to an ATX power supply and had each measure the 12V and 5V DC via the molex connector simultaneously.

Maybe try the same for the above and then you can see the differences more clearly.  If the Klein is that far off, I think I see possible adjustments on your board? 

If this were my multimeter and I couldn't adjust it, I would return it for money back.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:19:54 am by retiredcaps »

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:42 am »
Having mA & uA on the same terminal as V and ohm is asking for trouble imho.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:08 am »
A meter that doesn't give accurate numbers doesn't fulfill its purpose of existence.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:01 am »
Having mA & uA on the same terminal as V and ohm is asking for trouble imho.

Yep, keep a load of the little fuses spare for when you turn the dial to the wrong position.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:51 pm »
A meter that doesn't give accurate numbers doesn't fulfill its purpose of existence.

Yeah I know. I contacted Klein looking for calibration data because I'm POed. Manual states 0.5% for voltage DC. I think it's atleast 1-1.5% off in a few of the cases I tested.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »
So of course Klein said they'd pass my request onto the Meter team, but the so called meter team does not seem to want to talk to me...so I did my own investigation.

So I figured out the function of two of the many potentiometers on this meter's board. I have a picture attached.

--> The one in the purple box is for adjusting the voltage measurement. I believe only for DC voltage.

--> The one in the yellow box is for adjusting capacitance measurement.

Both of these were out of spec on my meter.  I did not use a precision reference, however I did have 3 meters reading very close to each other and the Klein way far off. For capacitance, my meter was roughly 6% off my "accepted value". The spec was supposed to be +/- 3%. For voltage, I was getting around 1.3% out on a 9V battery (measuring 8.90V on other 3 meters), as a reference. Spec was +/- 0.5%

Again, please don't criticize my ghetto calibration here.

However, if anyone else needs to calibrate their own, I know for a fact what those two pots do. Also, if you just look at the board, you can probably tell what the others might do.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:14:58 am by FenderBender »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:13 am »
These meters with adjustable pots are very convenient. Usually they seem to be scale adjustments and may need the lightest of touches. You adjust to get a good reading at some known reference point, then check against a few other points on the scale. If all seems good you are done. Otherwise the scale might have some non-linearity and you may need to adjust one point a little high to balance out another point reading a little low.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:08:58 am »
These meters with adjustable pots are very convenient. Usually they seem to be scale adjustments and may need the lightest of touches. You adjust to get a good reading at some known reference point, then check against a few other points on the scale. If all seems good you are done. Otherwise the scale might have some non-linearity and you may need to adjust one point a little high to balance out another point reading a little low.

Yeah I didn't really do too many points. I did think about that: Non-linearity.

I might check a few more voltages/capacitances and see if anything shows up undesirable.

And these pots are very touchy. They're single turn SMD pots. Pretty much suck, but hey a machine does it I think anyway.

alm

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:18:23 pm »
And these pots are very touchy. They're single turn SMD pots. Pretty much suck, but hey a machine does it I think anyway.
I'm not so sure. Machines are the reason why pretty much all manufacturers use closed case calibration these days. The only manufacturers still using them are the low-end manufacturers from countries with cheap labor. Guess how likely they are to invest in sophisticated equipment versus some unskilled laborer adjusting the trimmers to a dubious voltage reference (eg. a battery which may become empty at some point) 16 hours per day.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:45:05 pm »
Well I always heard that those type of trimmers were intended for a machine to adjust. Though perhaps you are saying through software?

Who knows.

Offline thedougler604

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 09:34:49 pm »
I bought one of these today, and it's set to work in fahrenheit.  I can see that the LCD has a degrees C light on it, but I can't figure out how to get it there?  I've emailed and called Klein, but they're closed today. 

Does anyone know how to set the temperature unit on their mm200?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »
It seems decently made; its also ETL listed for safety, and the casing is double walled in addition to the rubberized sleeve.  So the only issue is accuracy, precision and features.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
It's almost identical to the Mastech MS8233E I looked at a while ago: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/mastech-ms-8233e-ms-8240d-and-ms-8250c/msg160990/#msg160990

Only differences are that the MS8233E has the NCV detection and a MAX functions, while lacking the frequency measurement that the MM200 has.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline albert001

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 09:27:11 am »
May be late to reply to old post however, the MM200 I have works great accept that it often takes a second and sometimes a third try for it to turn on.

Sometimes it turns on the first try but often it only comes on after a second time and less often a third.

I haven't tried taking it apart to determine the cause. I picked it more than year ago from an eBay seller who was selling the MM200 as new for around ~$15.00 with shipping. Works ok  but sometime has a problem turning on the first time, set it to off then on again it usually  turns on.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:40 pm »
May be late to reply to old post however, the MM200 I have works great accept that it often takes a second and sometimes a third try for it to turn on.

Sometimes it turns on the first try but often it only comes on after a second time and less often a third.

I haven't tried taking it apart to determine the cause. I picked it more than year ago from an eBay seller who was selling the MM200 as new for around ~$15.00 with shipping. Works ok  but sometime has a problem turning on the first time, set it to off then on again it usually  turns on.

Holy Necro bump. We have a repair forum here by the way.
Try replacing the battery with new, if that doesn't work check the battery contact, cable where it meets the PCB and excessive wear on the PCB switch tracks, plus any corrosion or dirty button contacts in general. It's normally either that or a bad crapacitor.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf