Author Topic: Kurzweil K2500X Repair Project  (Read 13477 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Kurzweil K2500X Repair Project
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »
just picked up this basket case

previous owner sent his kurzweil k2500x keyboard synth in for repair to a local pro-audio repair shop, it came back 7 months later in bits :wtf:

Will be interesting to see if it can be revived, i'll probably blog this one my youtube channel after i'm back from holiday

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Kurzweil K2500X Repair Project
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »
Look forward to blog, a lovely instrument.
Looked at something similar some time back, found the PCB tracks very eager to part company from the board!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:23 pm »
nice! if you can repair it. Those synths probably have a lot of customs chips I hope for you that the failure lies somewhere else.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
just had a quick look at it, it went in to a pro audio place with intermittent issues believe, freezing etc, which got worse.

I just tried to power it and i do get some leds lighting but no display and flicking / dim leds so this sounds like a power supply problem to me.

it is enormous, 88 weighted keys with the top case made from extruded aluminium, too big for my little lab so i'm working on the floor in the living room!!

i'm sure SWMBO wont mind my scope and multimeter as well :-DD

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »
Great looking instrument , I had a very old Elka e19  made several mods to it fortunately i got hold of the schematics , great fun  .  be interesting to see how you get on..

http://www.wdgreenhill.com/manu/kurzweil.htm    say they have service manual ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:03:59 pm by 22swg »
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
right, i found an online service manual for it

nothing seems amiss on a visual check

been all over the power supply and pretty much every test point is way out of spec so looks like the power supply, thankfully they are all either low or a just a few % over so i would hope there's no damage beyond the power board

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 05:03:20 am »
If some unobtainable ASIC is bad, what about stuff a PC in it running some MIDI software?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:19:30 am »
some pics, more to come once i remove the power board and transformer

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:09:23 am »
Ah you must love those conventional linear 20 year old PS's with standard 78xx's. Piece of cake to replace and repair  :-+

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:21 am »
yes hopefully, there is some control in it, without the power connector to the audio processor board some of the rails are 0v apart from a 5v line so suspect the audio board enables the remaining rails. The backup batteries also run through this board.

it looks like the previous repairer replaced the main filter cap (and left flux everywhere) i cant see anything else that might have been touched by them.

the story was the guy doing the repair decided to go on tour abroad after he'd taken it in and just left it as it was!

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:46 pm »
You may need to load some the power outputs to get a voltage...
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:11:39 pm »
ok small update on this, turns out i can order a new PSU from kurzweil for £25 inc shipping so i will be ordering one.

i will hopefully still be repairing the apparently defective PSU and having a working one will certainly help.

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:12 pm »
Will post more on this after i am back from japan in a few weeks but for now...

Kurzweil K2500X Repair Part 1:

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:00 pm »
Synth  usually have a split keyboard setting available and instrument assignments  to each section it may have lost some of the voice settings for the keys that are not responding.. or split may be set up wrong , it will be on the display somewhere  ;D

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »
Synth  usually have a split keyboard setting available and instrument assignments  to each section it may have lost some of the voice settings for the keys that are not responding.. or split may be set up wrong , it will be on the display somewhere  ;D

Hmmm, yea i should have mentioned i checked for key splits in the video, the keys are not working on any any mode, its not even outputting midi from those keys

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »
Probably a broken scanning line to the half keyboard. The backlight might also be associated with this if there is a trace for it running near the board break.

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »
Lcd should be easy fixed, its a standard 240x64 graphic module, the backlight is EL so would suspect an issue with the backlight driver. I might just replace the whole lcd module with one that has an led backlight and remove all the hv stuff as there does appear to be a line of pixels out on the display as well

The keys run into a separate board so suspect another issue there, i will need to remove some of the keys to access where the idc cable connects

Both jobs for when i return from japan!

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:30:50 am »
update 2

all keys now working, the backlight is still dead and i have now spotted three horizontal lines of pixels out on the LCD so i'm debating if i should just swap the screen for a new one.

They are just standard 240x64 graphic modules so i could pick one up on ebay for about £25 with an LED backlight like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231138248717

or i could try and retro fit a LED backlight into the old display, check the zebra strips to try and fix the dead pixels but something tells me i will be cursing it!

i have also started replacing some of the maybe 20 or so missing screws! So at least now i dont have 27kg of bits trying to depart company from each other when i move it.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 12:05:52 pm »
The screws should be easy if you have an old DVD or VCR as a screw donor. Old CRT monitors also have a surprisingly large number of screws inside as well.

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 04:10:36 pm »
normal set-top-box screws too wimpy i'm afraid, it's all M4 bolts, thankfully i have plenty on hand.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »
Older VCR decks with metal transport typically had 300 plus screws in the unit. When I take apart that UMATIC player ( havent forgotten I will have to post you the head from it) you will see a load of M4 screws in it.

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 08:27:42 pm »
I am guessing that the way you 'stabbed' the keys you are not a player,  :D  So i suggest you consider having a go , I did at the age of 55 and its a great pastime / interest... Here's you first  piece...  8)
Happy Hols...

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:34 am »
no i dont play, will likely be selling this on when its finished, its too big for me to keep or learn on anyway

i'm going to try and clean it up as best i can, make sure everything is working. The keys and weights could do with a clean so need to decide if i want to disassemble all of the keys. I do have a set of the last generation PLDs to install onto the engine and audio boards which fix a few hardware bugs. The PLDs in this seem to be the original release.

i have seen someone selling the sampling option board on ebay which would be a nice upgrade but perhaps a step too far...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:32:19 am by dexters_lab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf