Author Topic: Last day: Bosch cordless brushless drill for $135  (Read 13653 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Last day: Bosch cordless brushless drill for $135
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:07:21 pm »
http://amzn.com/B00HUCUF4W

Excellent reviews, brushless, auto lock, 2lb light, two lithium batteries and a charger, all for $159 - $25 (ending Dec 26).

I just ordered one and thought I should share.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Last day: Bosch cordless brushless drill for $135
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:32 am »
If you want the best of the best of these small drill tools, you will have to check out the Festool CSX
There is no comparison to any other small drill.

http://youtu.be/8ZKLDHCsr5M
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:55:04 am by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
Excellent reviews, brushless, auto lock, 2lb light, two lithium batteries and a charger, all for $159 - $25 (ending Dec 26).
It appears, interestingly, to have an identical battery to my recently acquired Dremel. For the record, the Dremel is not worth buying.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:24:41 am »
What's so special about this "auto-lock" feature? Isn't this on any cordless drill with keyless chuck? My Makita DF330 has that as well.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:13:26 pm »
If you want the best of the best of these small drill tools, you will have to check out the Festool CSX

It looks very nice. How is it better?  I may give it a try. (I don't care about accessories, just basic drilling/screwing).

The Bosch PS32 arrived yesterday and I like it. It's light, compact, fit well in the hand, and has good power for a small drill. It has a useful feature where the light stays on a few seconds after you stop the motor.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:15 pm »
How is it better? 
The Bosch PS32 is definitely a nice tool, it comes from the Bosch Blue line of tools, so they are professional quality.
I have the PS32 as well.

But many years ago, I came across the Festool line of many different powertools.
They are superior to the Bosch in many ways.
When you have them both in your hand, you will know that it is more a precision tool, than just a drill.
After this great experience I had with this CSX, I switched all my power tools over to Festool

They have a quick exchange for drill bits and many other tools, so no need to have a chuck at all.
But for odd sizes, it still comes with a nice chuck
It also comes with a 90 degree angle tool and suddenly we can drill holes around a corner when there is not much space.
For this purpose they also offer ultra short drill bits.

If you go to a store, just check them out.
It really is a brand that deserves the label "Made in Germany"

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »

Indeed, it's far larger and more expensive, and yet substantially less powerful.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:21:19 am »

Indeed, it's far larger and more expensive, and yet substantially less powerful.

I went today to a local store to see the Festool. They had on display with charge battery so I could play with it. I was not impressed, mostly because of the location of the handle which is at the back of the tool far from its center of gravity. Holding it horizontally it felt heavy.  Also it looks bulky compare to the Bosch PS32 even though it has a lower capacity battery.  This is my subjective impression of course, IMMV.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 03:25:55 am »
Why are the US Bosch tools on 12V and the EU tools on 10.8?

PS. nm, must be marketing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:33:40 am by Marco »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 03:48:05 am »
Nah. Get this Milwaukee drill instead. IMO A better tool and for less money.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 03:53:59 am »
heh, autolock chuck.  Probably just a worm gear in there.

I didnt watch the entire thing but did he just spend 7min talking without actually showing us the drill actually drilling?
I wanted to hear what it sounded like with a brushless motor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:58:02 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:22 am »

We like simple numbers, 12V, 50 states, 2"x4" beams, 1 foot (vs 30.48cm), etc.

Here the voltage is also used to specify the power of cordless drills, 12V, 16V, 20V etc rather than Watts. Not sure why.

Offline houdini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 03:56:17 am »
Why would you want a drill less than 18v anyways its not like it is hard to use one and they have a lot more power.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 03:59:08 am »
They don't have to be 18V to have good power, you can get 1kW out of 12v Lipo really easy.
Its just more efficient to use a high voltage because the current goes down which means the losses do as well.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 04:00:05 am »
Why would you want a drill less than 18v anyways its not like it is hard to use one and they have a lot more power.

They are bulkier, heavier and overkill for most of my needs. I also have a 5A (110V) corded drill with more power than I will ever need but am rarely using it.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 05:15:08 am »

PS. nm, must be marketing.

Because in the EU they're not allowed to lie to their customers.

Because you might want something smaller? You'll figure it out when you use one for more than mounting shelves.

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 08:46:01 pm »
18V drills have good power, but are bigger.
Bigger means heavier, more cumbersome to handle and use, accessories are also bigger (cases), needs more room for storage, batteries may also be bigger. 18V is too big for some jobs and is an overkill if you do not need to drill massive holes or sink extra long screws.
10.8/12/14.4V drills can work well. It all depends on your needs.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08:33 pm »
I have both the brushless PS22 and PS32 imported into Aus, March 14 because Bosch Australia is so wayback it's so not funny. And the 10.8 drill driver kits they sell local are 1.3Ah mostly and of course the price is also better from Amazon at the time of purchase. Unfortunately the charger is not a worldwide voltage despite a switching smps unit, I can survive with a transformer.

I use the PS22 a lot. My Bosch 18V tools is not being used very much. The compact PS22 brushless is handy especially when working around cars and etc. It's super light and compact means I can reach anywhere as long as I have the right attachment. Unlike my 18V system with the 4Ah pack, its huge and heavy, my arms hurt after a while. Bosch build quality is excellent.

Regarding the 'autolock' feature of the recent Bosch keyless chuck it's rubbish. Drill bits still slip when they get caught in metals. Rohm makes these chucks. My PS32 chuck did wobble a little but after a few engage and disengage and fiddling around it turn out to be fine ?!??! The PS32 didn't get much use, I use it for drilling occasionally. I use the PS22 with hex chuck for fastening lots of stuff. The torque is good but my wrist can do slightly better.

As for battery life, don't expect the smaller 3x 18650s can match the 18V 10x 18650s. There is simply no match. The 18V system is brutal power. Using the 18V drill, making 10mm holes into 15mm structural steel beam just put a big smile on my face.  If not for the electronic motor protection, it could probably break your wrist if you are not careful. I don't think the built in fuel gauge is linear??? but after using it a few times you will learn what the three led bar means at each stage. The 10.8V batteries have BMS built in protection in the battery pack. It's quite funny the 18V doesnt, It only has a fuel gauge. The BMS is in the tool and charger for Bosch 18V systems.

I don't think the PS22/32 LED light is helpful, it is too dim for me. The 18V drills LED is brighter and more useful.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:37:37 pm by nukie »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »
Nukie, what's the difference between the ps22 and ps32 (speed, torque, what are they good for, etc), I got the ps32 for mostly drilling (hobby, around the house) and occasional fattening.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 04:02:51 pm »
Nukie, what's the difference between the ps22 and ps32 (speed, torque, what are they good for, etc), I got the ps32 for mostly drilling (hobby, around the house) and occasional fattening.

Supposedly the PS32 has more torque, which is odd, as the ROW models are identical. Other than that, the PS32 has a chuck, the PS22 has a quick-release hex holder.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:51 pm »
Supposedly the PS32 has more torque, which is odd, as the ROW models are identical. Other than that, the PS32 has a chuck, the PS22 has a quick-release hex holder.

Are they intended for different use cases?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »

Are they intended for different use cases?

One is a screwdriver, one is a drill. Losing the chuck makes it shorter, lighter, better balanced, and faster to change bits.

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »
Drill with a chuck for a hex bits adds unwanted length.
  • Drill -> drill chuck -> hex adapter with magnet -> hex bit
    vs
  • Drill -> hex chuck -> hex bit
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:32:37 pm by electr_peter »

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 03:41:15 am »
The PS32 holds various bits but the PS22 hex chuck locks the universal hex bits so slippage cannot occur. The PS32 keyless chuck is more versatile than the PS22 hex chuck, they are not overly expensive tools so I got both of them. I can live with just one it would be the PS22 because I have plenty of other drill with keyless chuck.

To date I have redo my deck which includes fastening slightly less than 2500 deck screws. Holes were predrilled with the PS32. I think it does about 100 to 150 screws per charge its not very consistent due to the inconsistency of wood fiber density.

I rotate the tools with a impact 18V when the 10.8v charges, like I said there is simply no match in terms of speed and capacity but my arms ache after a while and earplugs is a must.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:48:13 am by nukie »

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 02:34:24 pm »
old thread, sorry.

curious where in the bay area (for example) could I see the festool, mentioned in this thread?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf